Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
sachinwalia
Connoisseur
sachinwalia began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle SO
Original iPad with iOS 4.3?

I wanted to check how is original iPad performing with iOS 4.3 as I am planning to buy one instead of iPad 2. Please do share if it is slow or pretty much same. In general I am interested in performance of Kindle app, safari, mail, iBooks and bluefire reader.

Thanks.
sachinwalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Same as what?

EDIT

Last edited by ApK; 03-09-2011 at 05:08 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #3
sachinwalia
Connoisseur
sachinwalia began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle SO
Sorry to not make it clear. I meant is there any noticeable performance increase since the last OS update (4.2.1).
sachinwalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #4
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Ah, I get you now.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:12 PM   #5
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinwalia View Post
I wanted to check how is original iPad performing with iOS 4.3 as I am planning to buy one instead of iPad 2. Please do share if it is slow or pretty much same. In general I am interested in performance of Kindle app, safari, mail, iBooks and bluefire reader.

Thanks.
er, I can let you know when I try it. I don't want to brick my jailbreak though, so it may not be for a while.
I'd reckon it's pretty much the same performance wise as 4.2.1 with perhaps incremental improvements to the OS. I haven't checked exactly what they are yet..
So yeah - about what you'd expect I guess!
/obvious
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #6
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Safari is amazing. Snappy and fast. Even memory problems are now in the past http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=12099941
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #7
Hoyt Clagwell
Not an Addict
Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hoyt Clagwell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The blue one next to the fish.
I can confirm that there is a definite increase in speed with Safari and Gmail. Cannot discern any noticeable changes with any of the book apps. Then I never had a problem with their performance in the past.
Hoyt Clagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Safari is amazing. [/url]
I have to agree - I'm using it right now, and am amazed with how much quicker it is. I found Safari painful before so went back to my laptop when checking in on mobileread - but it's a new beast after the upgrade. Really remarkable.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 03:56 AM   #9
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
first thing I did is change back the way the switch on the right side worked to lock the orientation again. Its such a small feature but kind of essential to me

Safari seems snappier. I had no big complains before but it feels better.

So far this is what I realized (and I did the upgrade 10 minutes ago)

I can't see any issues with the performance of either Mail or iBooks.
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:24 AM   #10
morean51
morean51 began at the beginning.

Device: none
there are not lot changes after updating the o.s. but slight difference there in the performance
morean51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:46 AM   #11
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Safari seems faster but as for the reading apps, seem the same to me.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:47 AM   #12
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
Safari seems faster but as for the reading apps, seem the same to me.
well.... did you UPDATE your reading apps? No? Then why'd you expect those to change?
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:06 AM   #13
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
I guess everybody is a bit concerned that this update would slow down the original iPad to a crawl, similar to what happened to the iPhone 3GS with the iOS 3.2 upgrade.

Nobody expected these apps to get faster, but everybody feared that the upgrade would slow them down ....
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:16 AM   #14
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
well.... did you UPDATE your reading apps? No? Then why'd you expect those to change?
this is true... even though you answer is a tad sarcastic...

On a side note I have experienced overall speed improvements when device software have had updates... everything from iPod touch to iPhones to kindles to computers... so an iOS update may have had an overall speed improvement on the iPad itself and that would cause the Kindle app to increase its speed as a result...

Just saying
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #15
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
first thing I did is change back the way the switch on the right side worked to lock the orientation again. Its such a small feature but kind of essential to me

Safari seems snappier. I had no big complains before but it feels better.

So far this is what I realized (and I did the upgrade 10 minutes ago)

I can't see any issues with the performance of either Mail or iBooks.
So happy about the orientation switch too!
Safari feels very quick. Nothing seems slower, but as others have noted, other apps don't feel faster. The Home Sharing is really great.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote