Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-14-2010, 08:08 PM   #1
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
'Celebrate Kobo’s 1st Birthday with 50% off – one day only' [ENDED]

Surprised nobody's posted this yet, but anyway, an email popped in my inbox a couple of minutes ago. Discount code is 1stbirthday . Discount of 50% for books on this list apparently, but these codes have also worked for books not on the list in the past. I haven't tried this one to see if it's any different yet.

T&C:

Quote:
* Offer valid from Dec 15, 2010 at 12:00 AM GMT through to Dec 15, 2010 at 11:59 PM GMT. This offer is not valid in conjunction with any other offer or promotion and cannot be used to adjust amount paid on previous purchases. Discount code is valid for 50% off one eBook purchase excluding Hachette Book Group, HarperCollins, Penguin, Pan Macmillan, Simon & Schuster and all respective subsidiary imprints. Promotional code must be entered at time of purchase to qualify for this discount. Discounts cannot be applied nor the discount value refunded once a purchase is complete. We reserve the right to change or end this offer at any time without notice.
EDIT: Haha! It seems to work with one book I tried that isn't on the list. Your results may differ, of course.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-16-2010 at 07:11 AM.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:28 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Thanks! I was holding out for another $3 coupon for some books I was thinking of getting, but this works out so much better for the priciest of them.

ETA: Huh. It looks like Kobo's changed their checkout process to go with their birthday makeover and there's no longer even a space to enter any coupon code if discounts can't apply to a book.

I suppose this makes it easier for people who aren't sure whether a particular title is eligible.

Oops, they just hide it under "Have a Gift Card or Promo Code to Redeem?" which makes it an annoying three-step process now.

Incidentally, it looks like Smashwords books are discountable, for those who were wondering in the other thread if they just couldn't have their list price dropped, or would also be excluded from all other promotional offers as well.

Last edited by ATDrake; 12-14-2010 at 08:52 PM.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 02:02 AM   #3
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I had been holding out, dithering over whether I'd wanted to get a specific book last weekend at 30% off. As soon as this 50% offer "took" just now, I hit the BUY button!

Thanks!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:54 AM   #4
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Thanks. Picked up Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival. BTW, this code is not unlimited. One use per account so if you want two or more books, pick the one that's more expensive for this one and use a 30% code for the other(s).
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:57 AM   #5
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
I picked up "Deep Simplicity" by John Gribbin.

I get the feeling that when Kobo has a list of books their discounts are valid for, it's more in the way of an ad - "Here are some popular titles you can get a discount on!" rather than "These are the only titles you can get a discount on".
Quote:
Discount code is valid for 50% off one eBook purchase excluding Hachette Book Group, HarperCollins, Penguin, Pan Macmillan, Simon & Schuster and all respective subsidiary imprints.
says it all really.

btw, am I missing something, or do you always have to purchase books individually on Kobo? Is there no shopping cart?
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 08:01 AM   #6
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
It bugs me that they say this coupon is for a list of books, and yet there are books on the list that the coupon doesn't work on!

The fine print on the coupon does say not for certain publishers (Penguin), but why have those books on the list if they are exempt!
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
JackandJessie
JackandJessie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
[QUOTE=jehane;1273156]I picked up "Deep Simplicity" by John Gribbin.

I get the feeling that when Kobo has a list of books their discounts are valid for, it's more in the way of an ad - "Here are some popular titles you can get a discount on!" rather than "These are the only titles you can get a discount on".
says it all really.

btw, am I missing something, or do you always have to purchase books individually on Kobo? Is there no shopping cart?[/QUOTE]

I find this annoying as well. Among other things on the kobo site. Probably one of the worst online shopping sites I've ever used.

For the people who get these emails about discounts, did you sign up somewhere to receive them?
JackandJessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandJessie View Post
For the people who get these emails about discounts, did you sign up somewhere to receive them?
I signed up for their newsletter.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #9
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Egads - I was so not going to buy another book this week.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:45 PM   #10
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
I find this annoying as well. Among other things on the kobo site. Probably one of the worst online shopping sites I've ever used.

The worst? But you want to sign up for their discounts?

I think Kobo is terrific; good prices and frequent coupons--I'm a happy customer.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #11
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Kobo seems to follow the same non-cart model of iTunes (including the app store) and Amazon 1-click ordering.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #12
John K
Reader
John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John K ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG, Kobo Forma
I use Inkmesh when searching and comparing. The Kobo listing always shows the format as "Kobo (Secure)". I assume that my Sony can't read this and move on. Am I wrong?
John K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #13
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by John K View Post
I use Inkmesh when searching and comparing. The Kobo listing always shows the format as "Kobo (Secure)". I assume that my Sony can't read this and move on. Am I wrong?
Sony can totally read the EPubs from Kobo
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #14
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Quote:
Probably one of the worst online shopping sites I've ever used.
Clearly you have never tried getting eBooks from Borders. But yeah, while Kobo's got a nice-looking layout, their actual functionality could use a great deal of improvement. Especially in the search area.

Personally, I find Kobo to be the best store for me. As a Canadian, it's an advantage to be charged in CAD, and also I can apply most of the coupons to what would be non-discountable Agency books down in the States (and possibly the UK).

I've spent more there than anyplace other than Fictionwise (which I only buy from when there's a 50% off coupon) and if they keep putting out the % and $ off promos, I expect it to probably reach parity, because there's a long list of stuff I'd be perfectly happy to get at a deep-discount price relative to what I'd be paying on Amazon.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:17 PM   #15
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
>Sony can totally read the EPubs from Kobo

Yeah, totally, dude. I have, like, a ba-zillion kobo books on my Sony.

There is a Toni Morrison book (Love) that is $3.00 right now and I used the coupon to get it for $1.50.

eP

Last edited by elemenoP; 12-15-2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: (would have been funnier if my post came after shoechick's)
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo books