Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
So, now that I've updated my K3, how do I know if any of my books are available in KF8 format, and how do I go about updating them?
To update them you'll need to re-download the books. I don't think there's a way to know for sure, but most books I've downloaded since K4PC started supporting KF8 came as a KF8 version (still a few older mobi's and some nasty Topaz).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 11:27 PM   #17
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
To update them you'll need to re-download the books. I don't think there's a way to know for sure, but most books I've downloaded since K4PC started supporting KF8 came as a KF8 version (still a few older mobi's and some nasty Topaz).
Darn. I guess if there's no way to know which ones have been updated with new KF8 support I'll just have to wait until my PaperWhite shows up and start reading them there.

Just re-converted an epub that I've been reading using KindleGen and it looks much nicer now! The book I'm reading has some small, italic, right justified quotes at the beginning of each chapter that look much better in KF8 format!
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:31 AM   #18
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc109 View Post
I'm happy to report that free unlimited 3g is still in effect with the 3.4 update! Just tested it out and it worked fine.
Thanks Doc, I was just going to ask about that.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:58 AM   #19
Daveoc64
Groupie
Daveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmosDaveoc64 has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (LTE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
So, now that I've updated my K3, how do I know if any of my books are available in KF8 format, and how do I go about updating them?
I'd have a look at your purchase history and assume that any book you've bought this year could support KF8, excluding anything that's really old.

To update a book, just delete it from your Kindle and download it again.
Daveoc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #20
JohnnyBook
Groupie
JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.JohnnyBook holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: K3 W/3G (Fixed screen!) & Paperwhite Wifi
hmm, I am lazy to look it up..... Does anyone know?
My Kindle 3 is Jailbreaked and includes the expanded screensavers mod.
Will I need to un-jailbreak my Kindle 3 to install or need to re-install jailbreak after the update to 3.4?
JohnnyBook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #21
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBook View Post
hmm, I am lazy to look it up..... Does anyone know?
My Kindle 3 is Jailbreaked and includes the expanded screensavers mod.
Will I need to un-jailbreak my Kindle 3 to install or need to re-install jailbreak after the update to 3.4?
It appears that you do not need to remove the jailbreak before the 3.4 update, and this is the first time that a major update does not remove an existing jailbreak on a K3.

EDIT: It appears that yifanlu's jailbreak does NOT survive the 3.4 update.

However, some other hacks could potentially cause update problems.

Last edited by geekmaster; 09-12-2012 at 02:04 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #22
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
"However, some other hacks could potentially cause update problems."

Like localization i.e.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:52 PM   #23
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@geekmaster: There's (some) mixed reports right now, but I *do* think Yifan's jailbreak handles the update correctly (we're essentially doing the same thing at the level the update affect).

That said, we'll know more about the few snafus that popped up after a look at the logs . But those kind of issues usually come from people using outdated install/uninstall files, and/or doing factory resets thinking it will magically fix everything (which, in some hacks' case, it doesn't, it usually makes more of a confusing mess ^^).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #24
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I checked my Kindle 3 Keyboard WiFi and it is still using Firmware 3.3. Thus, I went here to update:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529700

Last edited by sirmaru; 09-12-2012 at 02:52 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:43 PM   #25
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I checked my Kindle 3 Keyboard WiFi and it is still using Firmware 3.3.
Go to amazon and download the firmware, and follow the instructions. So far it seems this upgrade is not over the air yet.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #26
kuser
kuser began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3g
Hi all,
I want to report my experience.
I have Kindle 3 3G UK: Serial no. prefix B00A with firmware v.3.3
I installed following files (Niluje):
kindle-jailbreak-0.10.N
kindle-ss-0.27.N
kindle-fonts-5.1.N-k3

I have also launchpad, some "kindlets" (sudoku,kindlenote,kindlegoban,snake,Kalculator), some apps (Cool reader, kpdfview).

This morning I downloaded firmware v.3.4 and installed it.
All is ok and working. The apps I listed are working correctly

Regards
kuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #27
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Here's my question, and maybe someone smarter than me knows!!!

If the K3/Keyboard now has kf8, what features are accessible to the Kindle Keyboard w/ 3.4. Surely, they all are not. Will we get magnification, tables, etc.

I do know we get embedded fonts, but that's pretty basic. Question is, what else do we get.

And I'm confused, there are kf8 files (books) w/ .mobi extension, and also kf8 files with azw3 extensions. I tested a kf8 book w/ a .mobi extension, and it had embedded fonts......so what is the purpose of books w/ azw3 extension.

Lastly, should I stick w/ raw mobi books, or start buying/downloading azw3 books?
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #28
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I'd like to know what has changed with version 3.4. I just installed it and everything looks the same as with 3.3.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #29
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
I'd like to know what has changed with version 3.4. I just installed it and everything looks the same as with 3.3.
The changes are at first not obvious, Go into your menus and you will see the new options. Other than that It is hard for me to explain.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #30
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
The % complete indicator on the bottom left is smaller. :-)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote