Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-25-2011, 10:36 AM   #46
dmspen
Enthusiast
dmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
I downloaded DiskAid and moved my book from my PC to my iPhone. This was the same file I had put on my Kindle and opened with Kindle for PC. The sync works great between the Kindle and the PC, but the iPhone doesn't want to play.

I'll try a different book and see what happens (time was limited yesterday).

Also, DiskAid seems to be a competent program. I had 2 other explorer type programs (iPhone Explorer and iDisk) instaled. Neither would allow me to put a book in a Kindle folder. iPhone folders doesn't work on a 64 bit Win7 machine. Seems like $9.90 will be money well spent.
dmspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:01 AM   #47
NoWorthWhile
Connoisseur
NoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheeseNoWorthWhile can extract oil from cheese

I email my books to my mom's iPad. Works great that way, provided the ASIN and the 501 exth is corrected via Calibre or Mobi2mobi. No need for an app, no matter what Jobs tells you
NoWorthWhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #48
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmspen View Post
I downloaded DiskAid and moved my book from my PC to my iPhone. This was the same file I had put on my Kindle and opened with Kindle for PC. The sync works great between the Kindle and the PC, but the iPhone doesn't want to play.

I'll try a different book and see what happens (time was limited yesterday).

Also, DiskAid seems to be a competent program. I had 2 other explorer type programs (iPhone Explorer and iDisk) instaled. Neither would allow me to put a book in a Kindle folder. iPhone folders doesn't work on a 64 bit Win7 machine. Seems like $9.90 will be money well spent.
1. Are you converting the book in Calibre? I forget which version of Calibre added the ASIN to the file. I use the latest version of Calibre.

2. Was the book already on your iphone? If so did you delete it first?

3. You added it to the Kindle\library\ebooks folder, correct?

I remember someone else posting that they had to restart their iphone for the book to sync. I have not had this problem, but I have not had the Kindle App running in the background when I added books.

Hopefully you will get this working. Post back and let us know. Maybe someone will have the correct answer.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:18 PM   #49
dmspen
Enthusiast
dmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-booksdmspen has learned how to read e-books

1. I have a non-DRM mobi version of te book so I didn't use Calibre on it. I used Mobi2Mobi to add the ASIN and the EBOK code. This has worked for other books.
2. I've deleted the book off my phone.
3. I had actually just dumped it into the Docs folder. I deleted that and copied it into the Kindle\library\ebooks folder. The book appeared with a different cover than previously. Still no sync though.
I'm rebooting my phone.
No joy on the sync. I still sync fine between the Kindle and the PC, but my iPhone is still an issue.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #50
dmspen
Enthusiast

I finally got it to work. Here's what I did.
Using the latest version of Calibre, I converted the book from Mobi to Mobi which puts in an artificial ASIN - at least it's different than the one Amazon has listed.
I copied that converted file to the Kindle.
I ciopied the file on the Kindle to the iPhone and PC.
I opened the iphone version and forwarded a few pages. They all seemed to sync at that point.
I'm wondering if the Mobi2Mobi program needs an update based on either new iPhone software or Kindle software.
Anyway, I have a process that works.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #51
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmspen View Post
I finally got it to work. Here's what I did.
Using the latest version of Calibre, I converted the book from Mobi to Mobi which puts in an artificial ASIN - at least it's different than the one Amazon has listed.
I copied that converted file to the Kindle.
I ciopied the file on the Kindle to the iPhone and PC.
I opened the iphone version and forwarded a few pages. They all seemed to sync at that point.
I'm wondering if the Mobi2Mobi program needs an update based on either new iPhone software or Kindle software.
Anyway, I have a process that works.
Glad you got it to work. I've never used Mobi2Mobi, only Calibre.

Carol
Old 03-31-2011, 04:44 PM   #52
dmspen
Enthusiast

I did some checking and didn't realize that Calibre also sets the CDEContent value in metadata. As part of the sync process, this metadat point, 501, needs to be set to EBOK. I used to use Mobi2Mobi to add the ASIN and CDEContent tags, but since tey are both in Calibre, I can just run a conversion, even mobi to mobi, and those points will be added.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:28 AM   #53
hrynkiw
Connoisseur
hrynkiw doesn't litterhrynkiw doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, iPhone, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I'll try to explain how I did it. I installed iPhone Explorer. (...)

Connect your iphone via USB and open iPhone Explorer.

Expand the Apps folder.

Look for the folder "com.amazon.lassen" and expand that.

Under that folder, go to "Library\eBooks and expand that.

Then drag and drop your ebooks into the eBook folder

Hope this helps you.

Here is a link to another thread that talks about it also:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121487

Carol
Oh. My.

I just worked through this process and it worked like a hot damn!

Thank-you. Now I can leave my Kindle at home (well, most of the time) and read my current books on my always-with-me iPhone.

I sing your praises to the angels.
hrynkiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #54
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrynkiw View Post
Oh. My.

I just worked through this process and it worked like a hot damn!

Thank-you. Now I can leave my Kindle at home (well, most of the time) and read my current books on my always-with-me iPhone.

I sing your praises to the angels.
Glad it worked for you. For me iPhone Explorer was unstable and ended up no working anymore. I installed DiskAid and that has been working like a charm.

Carfol
Old 06-16-2011, 09:25 AM   #55
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Same here - on Carol's advice I have been using the DiskAid program (as someone pointed out, $9.99 well spent) to load my books in the KindleApp\Library\ebooks folder. I re-converted my entire library doing a mobi to mobi conversion so when I get ready to load books I don't have to worry about which ones have been converted or not.

Using this process I have been successful in syncing books between my iPhone 4, Kindle and my new acquisition, iPad2. The one thing I have found that makes a difference is you need to have the Kindle for iPhone app closed completely. Carol indicated she didn't need to reboot her phone and at first I did, it was only after I realized that I was transferring the books with the Kindle for iPhone app open. Once I closed out of that - no need to re-boot.

BTW, if you have an iPad, the same folder is applicable KindleApp\Library\ebook folder. Glad it worked!

Personally this is one of the best things I have learned from coming to this forum and I am so grateful to a lot of people who were patient with me as I asked 20,000 questions.

Last edited by chilady1; 06-16-2011 at 09:28 AM.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #56
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
Same here - on Carol's advice I have been using the DiskAid program (as someone pointed out, $9.99 well spent) to load my books in the KindleApp\Library\ebooks folder. I re-converted my entire library doing a mobi to mobi conversion so when I get ready to load books I don't have to worry about which ones have been converted or not.

Using this process I have been successful in syncing books between my iPhone 4, Kindle and my new acquisition, iPad2. The one thing I have found that makes a difference is you need to have the Kindle for iPhone app closed completely. Carol indicated she didn't need to reboot her phone and at first I did, it was only after I realized that I was transferring the books with the Kindle for iPhone app open. Once I closed out of that - no need to re-boot.

BTW, if you have an iPad, the same folder is applicable KindleApp\Library\ebook folder. Glad it worked!

Personally this is one of the best things I have learned from coming to this forum and I am so grateful to a lot of people who were patient with me as I asked 20,000 questions.
The people on this forum are so helpful and nice. A pleasure to come here.

Carol
Old 07-06-2011, 10:20 PM   #57
kasch18
kasch18 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad2 & Droid X
Anyone know the process for sideloading kindle books onto an android phone and ipad2 so that they will sync between kindle apps? I've converted the book with the most recent version of calibre. And as far as I know I have to manually add the .mobi file to my kindle folder on my android and ipad 2. When I do this the books don't sync to the furthest read location.

When calibre converts an ebook to mobi it creates a .mobi file and a metadata.opf file. Do I need to transfer both files to each individual reader device or do I just need the .mobi file. I've tried both ways without luck.

Also, where do I find the ASIN and EBOK in the metadata I've been reading about in this thread. Is this something I may need to edit manually? If so, where do I find that.

Thanks.
kasch18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 09:43 AM   #58
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
@kasch18

Ok - your timing couldn't be any better as I just did this for my hubby who has an HTC EVO and iPad2. First, you don't need to do anything related to the ASIN and EBOK. If you convert the book to mobi using Calibre, it will provide the book with an ASIN. I did a complete mobi to mobi conversion of my ENTIRE library so this identifier would be added to all my books.

1. After ensuring conversion has been done. Plug phone in and you want to get to the root directory of the phone. As you say, manually transfer the mobi file to the kindle folder on your phone.

2. On the iPad, same thing...you need to get to the root directory of the iPad. There is a great app out there called DiskAid ($9.99) that allows you to get to the root directory of the iPad. Once you have the root available via DiskAid or other program look for KindleApp\Library\ebooks folder. Drop the books into this folder. Close out of application. MAKE SURE KINDLE FOR IPHONE APP IS CLOSED BEFORE ADDING ANY BOOKS.

3. Open up Kindle for iPad app - books should be there. Read and then hit HOME upon closing out. What this does is saves the book to the furthest location. Open Kindle for Droid app on phone and go into same book, it should automatically sync - if not, hit the sync button and then it should ask you if you want to go to the furthest page read and list what that is.

This works great on hubby's phone and he LOVES this! Let us know if it works.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:21 AM   #59
kasch18
kasch18 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad2 & Droid X
@chilady1

Thanks for the quick response. 2 questions:

1) The current ipad kindle app allows for sideloading in itunes i.e. access the iPad in itunes, click on apps, select the Kindle app and add the .mobi file to it. Is accessing the root of the iPad using DiskAid different than this?

2) RE: "Open up Kindle for iPad app - books should be there. Read and then hit HOME upon closing out".... Do you mean the iPad hardkey "home" button or the home button within the Kindle app?

Thanks again. I'm at work but will attempt this when I get home later.
kasch18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #60
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasch18 View Post
@chilady1

Thanks for the quick response. 2 questions:

1) The current ipad kindle app allows for sideloading in itunes i.e. access the iPad in itunes, click on apps, select the Kindle app and add the .mobi file to it. Is accessing the root of the iPad using DiskAid different than this?
Not chilady, but maybe I can help.

If it's anything like the iPhone, iTunes puts the book in a different folder, the Documents Folder I believe and this will not sync. It needs to be put in the folder 'KindleApp\Library\ebooks' like chilady stated in order for it to sync.

Quote:
2) RE: "Open up Kindle for iPad app - books should be there. Read and then hit HOME upon closing out".... Do you mean the iPad hardkey "home" button or the home button within the Kindle app?

Thanks again. I'm at work but will attempt this when I get home later.
No, not the ipad home key but the home key in the Kindle App. If you touch the middle of the page while reading, a 'Home' button will appear at the top left. Click that to return to the home page of the Kindle App.

HTH,
Carol