Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
Library Books on iPad?

Hi folks,

Sorry if this has been asked before, but a quick search did not yield the answer.

Does anyone know if the iPad will will support borrowing digital books from libraries?

Thank you,

k4k
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
You would need to check with your local library. Many libraries use Overdrive and they have not made their ebooks compatible with the iPad yet.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
The Ipad does not NATIVELY support the Overdrive library checkout program. I am quite surprised really, since Overdrive does support the audiobook checkout for the Iphone/Ipod.

That is the sole reason, however, that there is a method to remove the DRM and move the books into ibooks. I have no interest in pirating and selling, or giving the books away. I just want to read them. On my Ipad. So I do.
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Isn't Overdrive supposed to be coming out with reader applications, including for the iPad?
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #5
Cockeye
Cockeye began at the beginning.

Device: IPad
This is an interesting question. My local library uses Overdrive and it's bloody annoying that I can't borrow books. If I could read them on my iPad (if it invovled stripping out the DRM) I would - and then delete it after two weeks. But that is not possible, I don't think.

I wish Overdrive would support iPad. I emailed them and they said they had no plans to. It's crazy that iPad and Kindle (the two biggest ereaders) cannot access my local library books.
Cockeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockeye View Post

I wish Overdrive would support iPad. I emailed them and they said they had no plans to. It's crazy that iPad and Kindle (the two biggest ereaders) cannot access my local library books.
That is odd-according to a press release from 3 months ago:
http://www.overdrive.com/aboutus/get...cleID=20100519
Quote:
OverDrive (www.overdrive.com), a leading distributor of eBooks, audiobooks, and digital content for libraries, schools, and retailers, announced that it will release a series of apps that will combine eBooks, audiobooks, and interactive and multimedia content into one user-friendly application. The apps will be available for both mobile and desktop operating systems, including Windows®, Mac®, iPhone®, iPad®, AndroidTM, Windows Mobile®, and BlackBerry®. Millions of end users will benefit from a single software solution for all OverDrive-supplied content, as well as on-the-go access to eBooks from OverDrive-powered library and retail catalogs.
Wonder what changed.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:28 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog View Post
Isn't Overdrive supposed to be coming out with reader applications, including for the iPad?
Yes. They announced they had apps coming months ago, but besides the press release I've heard/seen nothing...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83993
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Overdrive is working on an iPad app. I don't recall exactly when it's supposed to be released, but relatively soon.

Edit: What AnemicOak said, too.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #9
Cockeye

I emailed my local library and they said this :

Quote:

hank you for your enquiry about ebooks and the iPad.
Currently our service is not compatible with the iPad, however we are
pushing our service provider to provide a service for users of iPads.
We understand that they are working on an ebook reading app for mobile
devices, however we do not at this stage have a timescale or know which
Apple devices will be included. We will however continue to press
Overdrive on this issue.

Thank you for contacting us,
so I emailed Overdrive and on August 3rd (so not long ago) they said this :

Quote:
Hello,

The Apple iPad runs a version of the iPhone OS so has the same
compatibility with our formats. Both MP3 and WMA Audiobooks may be
transferred to the device using OverDrive Media Console (for the
computer). Additionally, OverDrive MP3 Audiobooks can be downloaded
directly to the iPad using the OverDrive Media Console for iPhone.

However, the iPad does not currently support the eBook formats (Adobe
DRM PDF, Adobe DRM EPUB, DRM Mobipocket) provided by OverDrive.
Unfortunately, we are unable to determine if Apple will add DRM support
for these formats in the future. Please let us know if we can provide
further assistance.

Sincerely,
The OverDrive Media Support Team
That reads to me that they are suggesting the ball is in Apples court, no?

I have replied with this :

Quote:

reading around this issue - it would appear that the responsibility would actually lie with Overdrive to support the iPad rather than Apple support your software. In fact several local libraries who DO NOT use Overdrive here in the UK DO support iPad. It is only libraries that use Overdrive that do not.

In the light that your company supports neither Kindle or iPad - which I believe alienates a very large potential audience - I do find it strange that non-overdrive public libraries do support my device. So, to reiterate, you are saying it is impossible for you to do so? I was wondering how other libraries, therefore, manage to do so?

I am computer savvy and could easily borrow books, strip the DRM out of them, and then keep them permanently. But being a law abiding citizen who likes to read I am currently resisting this option.

If iPad support is never going to come, though, I may have to consider this option.

I would welcome your opinion.
we'll see what they say.
Old 08-30-2010, 09:11 PM   #10
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
I may be looking at it simplistically (won't be the first time), but there is a Kindle app and a nook app for the iPad because both Amazon and B&N are perfectly willing to sell books to iPad owners. But that is because the app provides the DRM compatibility required to open the books, and the concept is no different than the apps used to read Kindle and nook books on various and sundry platforms.

Overdrive, however, only manages the Library loaning process and uses ADE as the "reader". Apple won't (at this time) allow ADE to operate on their products, so Overdrive's hands are tied unless they come up with an additional program to provide a second DRM for Library books which WILL work on the Apple products.

We can read ADE books from the library because our readers have ADE built in. Let's see a show of hands for those who have found an app they can load into their Kindle to allow downloading and reading of Overdrive's ADE books on their Kindle. It's the same problem, as far as I can tell.

Last edited by eGeezer; 08-30-2010 at 09:42 PM.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:05 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What would work is if we got the people behind the txtr app to actually implement the time limited DRM that Overdrive uses and then you'd be all set with library eBooks in ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:13 AM   #12
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Originally Posted by eGeezer View Post
I may be looking at it simplistically (won't be the first time), but there is a Kindle app and a nook app for the iPad because both Amazon and B&N are perfectly willing to sell books to iPad owners. But that is because the app provides the DRM compatibility required to open the books, and the concept is no different than the apps used to read Kindle and nook books on various and sundry platforms.

Overdrive, however, only manages the Library loaning process and uses ADE as the "reader". Apple won't (at this time) allow ADE to operate on their products, so Overdrive's hands are tied unless they come up with an additional program to provide a second DRM for Library books which WILL work on the Apple products.

We can read ADE books from the library because our readers have ADE built in. Let's see a show of hands for those who have found an app they can load into their Kindle to allow downloading and reading of Overdrive's ADE books on their Kindle. It's the same problem, as far as I can tell.
Adobe has no intention to make an ADE app for the iPad as far as I have seen. They do license out the RMSDK though, which any app maker could use to support ADE content on the iPad. The problem isn't that Apple won't allow it - it's that no one has taken the time to do it yet; at least not with remote fulfillment, which is required for library books.

Overdrive could offer this; they are in the best position to do so as they could then claim it as a feature to all the customers who currently use their system. From a software developer's point of view, they are not blocked.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:02 AM   #13
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Thanks for the clarification.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:40 AM   #14
Cockeye

What I don't understand is people on here seem so sure Overdrive are going to support iPad - yet Overdrive seem to suggest they wont until Apple do something (unless I am missing something).
Old 08-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #15
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockeye View Post
What I don't understand is people on here seem so sure Overdrive are going to support iPad - yet Overdrive seem to suggest they wont until Apple do something (unless I am missing something).
Because 3 months ago Overdrive made a big PR announcement that they were going to support the iPad (and a bunch of other platforms). The backtracking has been thru individual emails, not a public statement, yet.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote