Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 03:01 PM   #1
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Moving from a Sony Touch to the Kindle 3 - questions and anything I should know

Hi

I have caved today and ordered the Kindle 3. I like the idea of it being lighter, easier to read with the better screen, and larger storage space.

I currently use a Sony Touch and a Sony PRS505 (I could never get the SD card option to work with either of them). I use Calibre to load my books onto my Sony devices.

Most of my books are in RTF Format, with a few PDF's and a few epubs. I have no DRM on anything.

I don't plan to buy any books from Amazon, just upload the ones I have. I have a few questions I was hoping this forum could help me with.

1) I have been advised on another thread that I can use Calibre to convert all my files to mobi. Is it that simple? Or is PRC better?

2) Do I just link the Kindle to Calibre as I do the Sony devices, and send to Device?

3) I assume I will have to upload the mobi version into Calibre so I will have two versions of the same book in Calibre, or do in remove the RTF/PDF/epub version, just leaving the mobi version in Calibre, and will the mobi version go on the Sony If i needed to reload the book onto my Sony?

I only have one PC so I only have one Calibre library.

I would also be grateful for any tips and advice anyone else can offer me please, as I want to start getting my library ready, I currently have nearly 800 books in it to convert.

Thanks very much

Josie
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:25 PM   #2
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
800 books? Start thinking about how you are going to arrange your Collections.

I'll leave others to give you technical advice.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
You should go to the Calibre thread and ask these questions there. They're very helpful.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you for both replies. I already have my books in collections, and will repost this is the Calibre thread. Thank you
Old 07-30-2010, 03:45 PM   #5
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
I can actually help answer your questions! If you don't get the help on the calibre forum, I would be happy to help. I have gotten lots of help over there, so I don't imagine you will need more though.
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:43 AM   #6
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
1) I have been advised on another thread that I can use Calibre to convert all my files to mobi. Is it that simple? Or is PRC better?

Josie
I'm sure you'll get good Calibre answers on the Calibre thread, so I'll just address the mobi/prc question in regards to Kindle. Mobi and prc are different extensions for the same file format. Kindle can't tell any difference between them, because there isn't any.

Read more about it here, if you're interested:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/MOBI
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
1) yes it's that easy. prc=mobi. Note that you have another option. You can email the ebooks to your kindle account. It will convert it for you and install it on your kindle.
2) yes
3) yes at some point calibre will have two files. However the process is import the RTF then convert the file to mobi from the UI then transfer the file to kindle. (all steps done from calibre).
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:31 PM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks very much for your replies. I converted my entire Calibre Library last night, I did my whole library, all 767 books in one go and it took 2/3 hours, but seems to have worked quite seemlessly. i have done a random check of some of the authors and I do have two files, the original and a mobi.

Just need to wait for my Kindle to arrive now