Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-06-2010, 05:04 AM   #1
redryder
redryder began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ipod Touch or Ipad

Hi all, I have a small Mp3/Mp4 media player now, but am looking for something portable that can read ebooks, comics and go online as well. The ipod touch would be perfect, except that I don't know if I should wait for the ipad. Obviously the ipad won't be as portable as an ipod, but the larger screen would be much superior in terms of surfing and reading.

I've been going back and forth between the two ever since the ipad was announced. Sometimes it feels like I might have to get both, but my bank account can't handle that.

I haven't used an Iphone or Ipod before, and I have no idea what apps are available out there. Do the apps make it more attractive for me to get an ipod, because of the portability?

P.S. An iphone is out of the question for me, as I'm tied to my company's blackberry and I don't want to carry two phones around.
redryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:10 AM   #2
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by naumanqayum View Post
i always prefer ipod touch it is awesome
Not sure how you can prefer the iPod Touch to the iPad, which was the question, as the iPad is not yet available!
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 08:13 AM   #3
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by redryder View Post
Hi all, I have a small Mp3/Mp4 media player now, but am looking for something portable that can read ebooks, comics and go online as well. The ipod touch would be perfect, except that I don't know if I should wait for the ipad. Obviously the ipad won't be as portable as an ipod, but the larger screen would be much superior in terms of surfing and reading.

I've been going back and forth between the two ever since the ipad was announced. Sometimes it feels like I might have to get both, but my bank account can't handle that.

I haven't used an Iphone or Ipod before, and I have no idea what apps are available out there. Do the apps make it more attractive for me to get an ipod, because of the portability?

P.S. An iphone is out of the question for me, as I'm tied to my company's blackberry and I don't want to carry two phones around.
I would wait to see the iPad, and I suspect it might fit your needs better.

Surfing on the iPhone / iPod touch is amazing given the size. However, the bigger screen and faster processor of the iPad will make a huge difference. Given you already carry a Blackberry, you have an "emergency" browser - I'd consider the larger but more powerful device.

Apple have just started doing previews of the Apps on their web site. There is an amazing array of Apps, most of which are meant to work flawlessly on the iPad. Again, waiting a couple of months will fully answer your question!

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:09 AM   #4
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
I agree with the others. I know if I were buying, I would wait. Just to see what the iPad really is, actually hold one...etc. The Touch/iPhone is an amazing device, but the screen size does limit it. For extreme portability, it can't be beat. If you don't need that extreme portability, the iPad may be perfect.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:26 AM   #5
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
Having a Touch (and loving it) I will still go for the iPad. Unless you absolutely need the portability of the Touch, the larger screen iPad, will be far better for ebooks and web surfing.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
kilron
Connoisseur
kilron doesn't litterkilron doesn't litter

Device: iPod touch
i would also wait. if you can't wait, pick up a used or refurbished iPod touch and then go check out the iPad. if you decide you have to have the iPad (likely), then you can sell the iPod touch for little or no loss of money.

apple sells refurbished stuff through their store all the time. it changes from day to day, but you still get the full warranty which is nice. right now you can save $30 on a 2nd gen 32gb iPod touch. not bad.
kilron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 11:51 AM   #7
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
March is right around the corner!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #8
kaibob
Connoisseur
kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kaibob once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Paperwhite 3
About three weeks ago, I went to an Apple store and played around with an iPod Touch for maybe 30 minutes. I loved the thing, and it did everything I wanted, only the screen was too small. So, when I learned that the iPad was little more than an oversized iPod Touch, I was very happy.

The OP indicates that he wants to "read ebooks, comics and go online...." This is a matter of personal preference, but I would not want to do any of these for an extended period of time on an iPod Touch. So, if in doubt, the best advice is probably to wait a few months and decide after seeing both the iPod Touch and iPad in person. Personally I'm going to put in my order as soon as the iPad is available for sale on the Apple web site.
kaibob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:11 AM   #9
bilalamjad3
bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bilalamjad3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
IPOD touch is better rather then i pod pad.
bilalamjad3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:19 AM   #10
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Wait for the iPad, and then decide...
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:50 AM   #11
eolake
Enthusiast
eolake began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I am so eager for the iPad to arrive. I'm sure you won't regret waiting for it.

(BTW, does anybody know if it's possible to use an iPod Touch as a hard disk? The option is missing in iTunes.) (Please don't tell me the theory if you don't own an iPod Touch. :-)
eolake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #12
CCDMan
CCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toysCCDMan shares his or her toys

Device: *****
BOTH!? Depends on use.

Want 3G or GPS? - iPad is the only choice failing using another device as well.

Given the high price of the iPad and the low price of the Touch, I would get a midrange iPad and a low end Touch - many apps can be shared.

Caveat - iPod Touch will probably get an upgrade in September, they normally do.
CCDMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:37 AM   #13
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I love my Ipod Touch...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote