Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-31-2010, 09:03 PM   #1
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Writing Conferences?

I just signed up for the Superstars of Writing seminar in Pasadena, CA in March.

I've been tossing the idea back and forth in my head for the past three weeks now. I finally bit the bullet and paid the tuition. I figure this is probably a once in a lifetime opportunity.

The speakers this year are Brandon Sanderson (Mistborn, Wheel of Time), Kevin J Anderson, (Dune, Terra Incognito) Eric Flint (1632,etc), David Farland (Of Mice and Magic), and Rebecca Moestra (Star Wars: YJK)

I don't know if it'll be life changing or benefit my writing in any way..but ya never know.

Plus, I've never been off the East Coast, so it'll be different

Anyone ever take one of these?
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
I think you know my opinion on these kinds of things; I believe they're massive con jobs that prey on the natural fear of up-and-coming writers. But saying that, if you're drunk enough, you might have a lot of fun
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #3
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

especially during the saturday dinner with them =)
Old 02-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
stephanievoid
Indie Author
stephanievoid rocks like Gibraltar!stephanievoid rocks like Gibraltar!stephanievoid rocks like Gibraltar!stephanievoid rocks like Gibraltar!stephanievoid rocks like Gibraltar!stephanievoid rocks like Gibraltar!stephanievoid rocks like Gibraltar!stephanievoid rocks like Gibraltar!stephanievoid rocks like Gibraltar!stephanievoid rocks like Gibraltar!stephanievoid rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle
One nice thing about something like that is you're around all things writing-related and so your creativity gets really fired up.

The speakers sound great.
stephanievoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #5
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
It seems to me you could meet the same people at a SF convention, have a lot more fun for a lot less money.

I've always found the writers at cons to very approachable - you could get a one-on-one discussion about writing with pretty much anyone of them if you wanted. Invite 'em to lunch - that almost always works!

Lots of good cons on the East Coast- Boskone is less than two weeks away, for example.

http://www.nesfa.org/boskone/

Wow! I just looked up the writing conference you're attending - you could go to 10 cons for that price and have money left over for a really cool costume!

Last edited by khalleron; 02-02-2010 at 10:00 AM.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
MaMiller
Author
MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I remember going to my first Romance Writers of America conference. I went because I was nominated for a Golden Heart, but I was absolutely terrified because I'm socially inept I walked in the hotel and saw 2000 women and I started to hyperventilate and almost turned around.

I remember for the awards ceremony they told us "No matter what you do, don't drink before the ceremony." (high heels, stairs to the stage, alcohol=bad combination)
Tess Gerritsen won an award and got up behind the podium and ended her speech with "....and guess what? I've been drinking!"

Sometimes you walk away from these conferences with fun tales.
MaMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Well, Maureen, find me a writer who isn't socially inept!
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
MaMiller
Author
MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaMiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So true, Kate!

Here's me at a conference.
MaMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
jaxx6166
Wizard

I've never been to a con. I'm sure I wasted close to 1500 to go to Cali. But we'll see next month. I've been in such a rut lately personally and professionally. To get out of the house and even out of this shit state would be a blessing. At this point, I'd probably be willing to pay twice that much more for a break in scenery. =)

As I've said before, I'm going in with an open mind. While I'm sure a con would be a great place to speak to authors. But with the hustle and bustle that goes on at other conventions, I think time would be fleeting at best. I've listened to Sanderson's podcasts before and he's a pretty good speaker. That was pretty much the selling point. Since I'm not Mormon or in Utah, going to BYU would be impossible at best. So, I guess this is the closest thing I can to reliving my college years and taking more writing related classes.

Don't get me wrong, I majored in Journalism/Public Relations, but this is...different. The story building class seems like it'll be a fun snowball experience. It looks like the instructor takes something and then the rest of the class builds onto it until it's a living breathing world.

Quote:
Brainstorming Improv: Real-Time Creation of a Story
An interactive audience experience where the Superstar authors guide you through plotting and brainstorming to come up with story after story.
And the price that they're charging now is absolutely insane. I'd actually be willing to bet that the first seats sold at like $300 and then went up from there. But, you gotta fill a hall.

I couldn't get K to agree to let me out and play by myself at a con. And she refuses to join me....so this one will be me by myself in a hotel for 3 days. No girlfriend. No cats.

Bliss.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
J. Dean
Author: Clade Josso
J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Dean ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If any of you get to do something like that with Stephen King, let me know!
J. Dean is offline   Reply With Quote