Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-22-2008, 01:08 AM   #1
AndrewZander
AndrewZander began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
libprs500 and Purchased book from Connect

I purchased an ebook via the Sony Connect store, put it on the memory card contained in my PRS-505.

Then I launched libprs500 and saved the purchased ebook to disk. Despite being listed by the title of the book on the memory card, the file name of the book that I saved is completely different (cbusceccl0005v08.lrx). Additionally,
when I add the file to the libprs500 library the cover art is gone.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Is this a result of the DRM used in purchased ebooks from the Connect store?

Thank you,
Andrew
AndrewZander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:06 AM   #2
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewZander View Post
I purchased an ebook via the Sony Connect store, put it on the memory card contained in my PRS-505.

Then I launched libprs500 and saved the purchased ebook to disk. Despite being listed by the title of the book on the memory card, the file name of the book that I saved is completely different (cbusceccl0005v08.lrx). Additionally,
when I add the file to the libprs500 library the cover art is gone.
Andrew
You haven't mentioned how you got the book into libprs500. But that's probably not important, because...

The wierdo name is the actual file-name that Sony gave the file; the name displayed on the Reader is taken from the meta-data.

The reason you see no cover art when you add the file to libprs500 is that libprs500 doesn't (yet) grab cover art from the lrf file. You need to get a jpg (or png or whatever) of the cover art and add it yourself.

Finally, libprs500 probably will never be able to get the cover art (or any other useful info) out of an lrx (notice the X) file. That's because these files are encrypted by Sony (e.g. DRM-crippled) so that only your Reader and other authorized devices can open them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewZander View Post
Is there any way to prevent this from happening? Is this a result of the DRM used in purchased ebooks from the Connect store?
Thank you,
Andrew
You can add the cover art yourself in libprs500. Download the picture from Amazon. You can rename the file before adding it into libprs500. That way it'll come back out with the file name of your choice.

And remember, the lack of a cover picture in libprs500 doesn't mean that the cover picture will be missing on the Reader.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
AndrewZander
AndrewZander began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thanks for the thorough response!

Does libprs500 have the ability to edit the meta data of an lrx file?

When I click the edit metadata button in libprs500, the metadata is blank, does this mean that it can't read the data contained in the file?

Also, I can transfer the lrx file from the reader/memory card to my hard drive, but I'm not able to transfer the file back whether or not I edit the metadata. I get the following error:

Could not upload the following books to the device, as no suitable formats were found: <filename>

It doesn't appear that libprs500 handles lrx files very well - or I don't handle libprs500 very well

Andrew
AndrewZander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:02 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
It is possible to get the thumbnail and other metadata out of an LRX file, as it is not encrypted (only the content is). However, libprs500 does not currently do that.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote