Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-06-2013, 10:13 AM   #16
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklekens View Post
It's the single most annoying bug in the software that I know of. In combination with one other bug, that takes a shared first place.
I agree totally; my other "annoying" but much rarer bug is one where on certain sizes of certain fonts, words go "missing" from the page.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #17
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I've had for a long time a bug on the Touch, and now Glo where when I tap the screen to turn a page, the tap is ignored, however a second tap pages forward twice.

I discovered today that it also seems to be related to Font size; I was running for a few days with a smaller font size (down by one click) and while I was still seeing the occasional ignore of a tap, I was not seeing the double page turn on the next tap. I increased the font by one click, and almost instantly saw the double page turn again.

Any one else experience this?

It seems to be independent of which side I have configured for page forward, and also independent of where on the screen I tap.
But I have on my glo and the touches.... Well on the touch I hear my stepmother bitching about it when it happens, shes technologically challenged and gets very frustrated quickly

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #18
franklekens
Addict
franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.franklekens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Sage, Elipsa, Onyx Note2, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Keyboard
Actually, my other biggest bug is the long paragraph thing. Very often I get only half a page of text because the text is part of a long paragraph, and there's something with some widow&orphans-setting that prevents the reader from filling out the display with all the text of the paragraph, for some obscure reason.
It's very annoying.

I think there's some workaround (by converting your file from epub to epub in Calibre and ticking one specific setting in Calibre), but I've forgotten what it was and it's not easy to find on this forum. And besides, it's rather a hassle to have to convert all your books before you put them on the device.
franklekens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #19
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
Quote:
Actually, my other biggest bug is the long paragraph thing. Very often I get only half a page of text because the text is part of a long paragraph, and there's something with some widow&orphans-setting that prevents the reader from filling out the display with all the text of the paragraph, for some obscure reason.
It's very annoying.

I think there's some workaround (by converting your file from epub to epub in Calibre and ticking one specific setting in Calibre), but I've forgotten what it was and it's not easy to find on this forum. And besides, it's rather a hassle to have to convert all your books before you put them on the device.
When I started with my glo that empty space in the bottom drove me crazy, until I found how to get rid off it, it’s true that you shouldn’t have to convert a book to make it better looking but I prefer to take a bit off time and read without being annoyed with the lost space.
You can put this { widows: 0; orphans: 0; } in the extra CSS, you can set it by default in Calibre – Preferences / conversion / common options, and you can bulk convert, and even delete the original epus all at once, it only takes a minute.
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:03 PM   #20
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
It's very annoying.

The long paragraph splitting bug has nothing to do with widows and orphans settings. Set widows and orphans how you please and the long paragraphs will still split. Playing with margins and font size helps but then, for me, the text gets unreadable.

What the default widows and orphans setting will do is attempt to prevent a single line being left at the top or bottom of a page.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
When I started with my glo that empty space in the bottom drove me crazy, until I found how to get rid off it, it’s true that you shouldn’t have to convert a book to make it better looking but I prefer to take a bit off time and read without being annoyed with the lost space.
You can put this { widows: 0; orphans: 0; } in the extra CSS, you can set it by default in Calibre – Preferences / conversion / common options, and you can bulk convert, and even delete the original epus all at once, it only takes a minute.
What he was mentioning is a bug where an overly long paragraph gets split up and displayed over multiple pages with lots of blank space. It has nothing to do with the widows and orphans setting.

In one book I have (Zenna Henderson's Pilgrimage), there is a paragraph that takes just shy of 4 full pages in the paperback edition I've owned for several decades. On my Aura with my font choice. size and margin settings, it should take slighly over 3 pages. Instead, I get a page with 17 lines, a page full of text and then two pages with about 20 lines each. If I edit the ebook with Sigil and split the paragraph at what I think is a reasonable point, the display on the ereader looks fine. If I rename the ebook to .kepub.epub, the ACCESS renderer on the Kobo has no issues with that paragraph.

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 06-12-2013 at 10:10 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #22
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Have not tried the font size trick.

Seems the first tap is being read but not completely processed. Then the 2nd tap causes the queue to be read. Maybe the change in font size also causes the queue to be read?

I wonder if there is a limit to the number of taps that can be stored before being processed?
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #23
omnimodis78
Enthusiast
omnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animalsomnimodis78 is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kobo Aura H20
I get both the double forward, and at times one back in page turns. The double forward happens enough to know that it's not my doing, but the one back has hitherto been so unusual that I attributed it to me accidentally touching the left side of the screen, though deep down inside I now my finger wasn't anywhere near the screen surface. I never had this with my Glo, but with the AuraHD I do have it often enough to know it's not just a fluke.

The double forward always happens when at first tap the screen doesn't progress, after which I wait about 2 seconds and press again (same general spot, same pressure) and it jumps 2 pages. I don't spam-press the screen and I don't apply more or less force than usual. It has also happened upon first tap. The font is Caecilia with 45% font size (based on the slider), slightly reduced line spacing and about 30% margins. Weight is adjusted to about 60%.
omnimodis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #24
tempest@de
Fanatic
tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tempest@de ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What he was mentioning is a bug where an overly long paragraph gets split up and displayed over multiple pages with lots of blank space. It has nothing to do with the widows and orphans setting.

In one book I have (Zenna Henderson's Pilgrimage), there is a paragraph that takes just shy of 4 full pages in the paperback edition I've owned for several decades. On my Aura with my font choice. size and margin settings, it should take slighly over 3 pages. Instead, I get a page with 17 lines, a page full of text and then two pages with about 20 lines each. If I edit the ebook with Sigil and split the paragraph at what I think is a reasonable point, the display on the ereader looks fine. If I rename the ebook to .kepub.epub, the ACCESS renderer on the Kobo has no issues with that paragraph.

Regards,
David
sorry, didn't realize it was not the same thing, I don't remeber seeing that problem, maybe I've been lucky or I saw it and forget it, that same times happens, when I'm too immerse in the book I don't register some things
tempest@de is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #25
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yes I do experience this both on my Glo and Aura.
It's one of those bugs they seem to never want to fix. I had this from the start and got kind of used to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I've had for a long time a bug on the Touch, and now Glo where when I tap the screen to turn a page, the tap is ignored, however a second tap pages forward twice.

Any one else experience this?
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:05 PM   #26
Labrat
Sony and Nook Fan
Labrat began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD, Nook HD+, Nook Simple Touch with Glow Light, Kobo Minis
I just purchased a mini on sale for the awesome price of $39.99 and love the size, I wanted something I could carry in my purse.

However, this no page turn/double page turn is a real pain. I have to have the font big enough for me to read so there is not a lot on a "screen". I've tried different taps, presses, locations but there seems to me no "replicability".

If this is something that they don't fix, I won't be getting another Kobo. I have Nooks, have had Sonys and Kindles and numerous android tablets. None has done this particular trick.

Don't like it! :-)
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #27
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labrat View Post
I just purchased a mini on sale for the awesome price of $39.99 and love the size, I wanted something I could carry in my purse.

However, this no page turn/double page turn is a real pain. I have to have the font big enough for me to read so there is not a lot on a "screen". I've tried different taps, presses, locations but there seems to me no "replicability".

If this is something that they don't fix, I won't be getting another Kobo. I have Nooks, have had Sonys and Kindles and numerous android tablets. None has done this particular trick.

Don't like it! :-)
might this be a problem with your unit being defective? I have had three Minis through my hands (two for me, one as a present but i set it up), and none had this problem. Indeed, at the beginning I was tapping with the rubber at the back of a pencil, anything seems to work for page turns.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:11 AM   #28
filmo
Wizard
filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.filmo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony T1, Kobo Mini
I have Kobo Touch from first month they were available enduring many firmware updates that often affect page turns for better or worse. When you touch or tap left or right side to turn page, your finger is blocking Infrared beam of invisible light. A firm or hard press does not affect page turns but might damage screen. Size does not matter as I have touched screen with objects from 3mm to 24mm diameter getting reliable page turns. Hard or soft objects will work if they are opaque to IR light and don't damage screen. Duration of touch does matter. Some firmware versions needed a slower touch and other versions worked with really quick touch to slow touch. Menu selections are slow to register. Give it a little time to respond as multiple fast touches don't seem to work right. I most often just use a finger to turn pages. I have used pencil erasers, small brushes and foam earplugs for more precise touches for menu selections.

Swipes also work for turning pages. I use swipes most often when turning page with the only hand holding the reader. Swipes and getting reliable pages turns requires learning what works for you with current firmware. Just a short learning curve.
filmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:09 PM   #29
Labrat
Sony and Nook Fan
Labrat began at the beginning.

Device: Nook HD, Nook HD+, Nook Simple Touch with Glow Light, Kobo Minis
Thanks for the hints, guys! After getting the "restart and reset" message from Kobo customer support (NOT!) I think I have found something that works. I must have been touching too close to the edge of the screen. I noticed that in the settings, it shows the left third of the screen for paging back, center for menu and the right third for page forward.

I have read several hours since then and have not had any hang ups or double turns. I've been careful to touch in the center of the right third. Whew! Don't want to take the little sucker back!

Now if I could find a small enough case to carry in my purse that also protects the delicate screen.

Has anyone seen the snap cases available for purchase? I looked online and they describe them but don't have the colors.
Labrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:27 PM   #30
DH59
DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.DH59 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Glo
I've had this issue since the Glo updated to 2.6.1., but a little while ago everything locked up altogether and the page refused to turn. I managed to get something to happen by putting it into sleep and then waking up again, but then it locked up again. My husband's Glo has locked up a few times now, usually when playing Sudoku.

I've just done a factory reset, but when I connected to Kobo Desktop it appeared to be syncing again, and lo and behold, I am back to 2.6.1 instead of 2.5.1. I will see how it goes, and then try again to revert to the old version where everything worked fine.
DH59 is offline   Reply With Quote