Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-03-2012, 10:52 PM   #16
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I had the same issue with my first Nook glowlight and now my new Kindle. Called them and they are sending a replacement. I'm sure it happens in the manufacturing. The second Nook I received didn't have the problem so hopefully the next Kindle won't either.
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by mngharry View Post
I received my Kindle yesterday, and really love it, but it has two issues that bother me. I was wondering whether others had them too.

1. The first is that when the light is turned on, there's a tiny speck of light on the screen that never goes away. It's very small but against a dark background, or when it happens to be over a letter, it suddenly shows up in its distracting presence. Upon closer inspection, while displaying a dark page in complete darkness, I found that there are two other specks of light too, but which are less bright.

2. The second issue is that the display, in a sense, becomes corrupted when the content changes without the e-ink refreshing. Sometimes, after I open a book, I can see a faint outline of the book cover, or the Kindle interface behind the book's text. When I turn a page again, the text becomes corrupted, and some of the letters become distinctly thinner and others bolder, and the edges of the letters are less fine and somewhat pixelated. This doesn't occur too often, but often enough to bother me. However, most of time, I can see how the text becomes less and less fine until the e-ink refreshes. I tried turning the "refresh after every page" setting on, and it seemed to fix the issue, but I'd rather not use it.

I want to love my Kindle and am hoping that I'll stop noticing these issues with use, but they have been really bothering for the two days I have been using the Kindle.
1. The pinpricks should not be there. Your unit is defective. Call for a replacement.

2. Ghosting happens in eInk. This is normal. Usually it's worse in cold weather and will get better the more you use the Device and the warmer it gets. You can get a cleaner screen by turning on the refresh every page feature instead of every 6 pages. It just the way eInk works sometimes. I always use full refresh every page because of it.

It does sound like you got a bad one. I'm seeing alot of these reports. This is disheartening due to the fact that having to wait for a replacement till the end of the month. I can say the $69 Black Kindle is a great little reader with none of these issues.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 01:09 AM   #18
TXCiclista
TXCiclista began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Keyboard or Paperwhite, unsure)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanfearl View Post
This isn't possible. You are talking about the screen like it is an LCD and you have a pixel that is stuck.
To be fair, OP was actually NOT talking about the screen like it was an LCD. Only you were. What the OP mentions is absolutely possible (as above replies affirm)
TXCiclista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:11 AM   #19
mngharry
Enthusiast
mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PRS-505
Okay, just requested a replacement. Fingers crossed that it won't have the same issue!
mngharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:56 AM   #20
TXCiclista
TXCiclista began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (Keyboard or Paperwhite, unsure)
Did they give you a timeframe on your replacement?
TXCiclista is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2012, 02:38 AM   #21
Readiac
Readiac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I had the exact same pinprick problem on my brand new Paperwhite except my two dots were on the lower half of the screen. Very small but still noticable. I asked for a replacement and I should have it within 4 days. This isn't uncommon. It actually happened on my Nexus 7 as well (busted pixel, not pinprick) and I got a replacement for that too.

Long story short: Amazon has great customer service.

This happens a lot on the Nook GlowLight too, except much worse. Check it out.
http://gizmodo.com/5907053/you-reall...ouch/gallery/1
Readiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #22
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
I have a tiny glowing speck as well. I've had my Kindle since October 2nd, but I just noticed it today and only after checking the screen thoroughly once I read about this issue a few times. Mine is very small and hard to notice. Some users on kindle boards also have the glowing speck issue as well. Good luck with you new one, mngharry.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:16 AM   #23
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
If you leave your PW light at level 22 (default) of the possible 24 you will never see a light dot.

Since the PW uses reflective light and not direct light like the Fire, reducing the light level is NOT necessary in low light conditions.

Light dots are only visible when the PW light is reduced to a very low level. Otherwise they would tend to blend into the high light level. The slight LED shading on the bottom of the screen is also not noticeable at the 22 light level but may get very noticeable at low light levels.

LCD screens also may have one or two defective pixels. They are not noticeable at normal viewing level but can easily be identified close in.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-08-2012 at 09:18 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #24
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
It's actually the opposite for me. When I have the light up high, it becomes more noticeable, although it's mainly only when I turn a page that I can see it. Unless there's a black background. Such as on the home page with covers. I do have to really look hard to see it though.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #25
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Page Refresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
It's actually the opposite for me. When I have the light up high, it becomes more noticeable, although it's mainly only when I turn a page that I can see it. Unless there's a black background. Such as on the home page with covers. I do have to really look hard to see it though.
Leave Page Refresh on all the time and you will never notice any differences while turning pages.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #26
mngharry
Enthusiast
mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.mngharry can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PRS-505
Amazon has managed to ship me a replacement very quickly, and I have just received it. Unfortunately, the screen seems to be worse. It also has two little specks of light, albeit much smaller and both at the bottom of the screen. They are harder to notice. However, the main problem that I have with the replacement unit is that when compared to my original one, the screen has a distinct pinkish hue, especially noticable in the dark. The letters are also fainter, and the lights at the bottom cast a more distinct shadow over the bottom of the screen. I'm very surprised by how large the differences are, and how much inferior the replacement is.

I'm getting another replacement. Ideally, I think I would want to have the contrast and color of my original unit, without the very noticable speck of light.

sirmaru, in my experience, it gets more noticable as I increase the strength of the light.
mngharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:56 AM   #27
meowwong
meowwong began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by mngharry View Post
1. The first is that when the light is turned on, there's a tiny speck of light on the screen that never goes away. It's very small but against a dark background, or when it happens to be over a letter, it suddenly shows up in its distracting presence. Upon closer inspection, while displaying a dark page in complete darkness, I found that there are two other specks of light too, but which are less bright.
oh... really bad luck... got the same problem...
amazon doesn't sell to hong kong... I bought it from the imported trader... so, not sure to have the replacement... ... woowoowoowoo... ...
meowwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:07 AM   #28
mobilewilier
Connoisseur
mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowwong View Post
oh... really bad luck... got the same problem...
amazon doesn't sell to hong kong... I bought it from the imported trader... so, not sure to have the replacement... ... woowoowoowoo... ...
I bought mine in US, but live in HK. (Depending on the customer rep) Amazon agreed to kindly send me a replacement to HK with postage paid for. Maybe the imported trader can request the same for you. It's worth asking anyway.
mobilewilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:51 AM   #29
Benni-chan
Benni-chan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
just got my paperwhite today (in germany). I also have several specks of light (also very noticeable with white background). Amazon will send me a replacement next week. Hope, that one will be ok.
Benni-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #30
Kyaw Zin Hein
Kyaw Zin Hein began at the beginning.

Device: Kindel Paper White
I'm now seeing the same problem of two bright spots: one is on lower left corner, and the one is the nearly middle. I wipe the screen but it doesn't. It doesn't seen when the bright level is between 0 to 9, above 9 it can be seen but so small. I can't solve how to do it please give me some advice. Thanks.
Kyaw Zin Hein is offline   Reply With Quote