Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-11-2012, 07:50 AM   #16
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I see some of the earlier specs say "Pearl" screen". Since this is an LG 1024x768 screen, is it still "Pearl"?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:32 PM   #17
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Pearl is the Eink film used to create the LG HD display. the LG backplane is what makes it HD
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #18
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeOnyx View Post
I just ordered a sample unit of the A62 with the LG 1024x768 screen for testing. I am also working with some bloggers to review it. If it's well received, we will carry it on OnyxBoox.com for the US Market.
oh thats good to know. make sure to call/email when you get it in. Id love to try it out and own one if its working well. Ill keep it in reserve should my older Boox bites the dust.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #19
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox T68
To Boxtor.

When comes to selling the i62?

regards
fraylocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:35 PM   #20
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraylocus View Post
To Boxtor.

When comes to selling the i62?

regards
approx. in 2-3 weeks.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2012, 11:22 PM   #21
MikeOnyx
OnyxBoox Sales
MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOnyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox
Quote:
Sorry if I did not understand well.
LG?
Do you manufacture electronic ink displays LG?
Are monochrome?

regards
The new A62 sample (arriving next week) will have the LG flexible plastic e-ink installed. More information on the screen can be found here: http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/29/l...isplay-launch/
MikeOnyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #22
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
MikeOnyx,

Here' what I want in it:

1. wide margins (in landscape mode at least 1 cm on each side needed - the width of text should be about 9 cm as in a regular printed paperback, not 11 cm)
A real deal breaker. Even though it could be fixed later with a firmware update, such a firmware update may never come.

2. Easy to read fonts, such as Amasis on T1.
Best - if additional fonts could be installed by the user.
Also a deal breaker - what is the point if a reader has only unacceptable to me fonts and there is no way to add your own?

3. it should be strong and rugged and should not need a protective cover.
Now that the screen is flexible, the rest should be just as impossible to damage.

4. Because the screen is plastic, I want the device itself to be not black, not white, not gray, but of matching color, EXACTLY as much as possible the same color as the screen and equally opaque. Of course, the plastic screen probably still looks sort-of like glass, or like laminated paper, but even for readers with glass screens the color ought to be matching the color of the screen as close as possible.

5. SD (or micro SD) card support - I always use 32 GB cards - a deal breaker (almost).

6. multi format support, best would be CR3 running on it. Also would solve margins.
I also need internal or external file manager supporting nested folders and the list (stack) of last opened books of unlimited length.

7. good and easy to use dictionaries?
A good interface is important, the dictionaries themselves could be added as needed.

I like Wexler's weight and ruggedness, but it does not meet my other requirements, unfortunately.
If it turns out that it supports wide enough margins and allows to install fonts, I might go with Wexler even without an SD card. It's weight is only 1/2 of a typical 6" reader with a protective cover. And you can just drop it casually anywhere, or fall asleep while reading -no problem, you will find it on the floor.

I am a bit worried that the new Onyx may be much heavier and, even though the screen is plastic, the case itself may not be strong enough and could break if dropped to the floor.
It would be absurd if it needs a protective cover thus increasing its weight further.

I think that all my requirements are very reasonable. They are minimal requirements for comfortable reading. And I think that even without my feedback they should be pretty obvious to e-reader designers.

Last edited by parkher; 05-17-2012 at 08:48 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #23
fraylocus
Groupie
fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'fraylocus knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
The new A62 sample (arriving next week) will have the LG flexible plastic e-ink installed. More information on the screen can be found here: http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/29/l...isplay-launch/
Thank you.
To be clear: i62 and A62 Are different models, right?

regards
Old 05-17-2012, 07:28 AM   #24
Italiano a Wro
Italiano a Wro began at the beginning.

Device: Boox
New Onyx ebook readers arriving!

Here are they!

BOOX i62 Touch
BOOX X61E
Onyx Boox A60 Gold Edition
Onyx BOOX M92

Available at https://www.onyx-boox.com/

https://www.facebook.com/onyxboox
Italiano a Wro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
When is the a62 coming? The rest of the 6" models may as well not exist in comparison.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 03:39 PM   #26
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
The Onyx reseller in Russia reports today that Onyx International will delay the release of the reader with plastic screen. The quality of the LG screens turns out not to be good enough. 20% of the screens have what they call a serious defect: tpp much ghosting.

Onyx now will wait until PVI has plastic screens available. They expect that will be mid-summer.

Also, because of numerous requests from users, they will use the body of the i62 series instead of the A60 series.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I hope other reader makers will make new models with the PVI plastic screens and I also hope these will be high resolution as well maybe even better contrast.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:17 PM   #28
fraylocus
Groupie

I booked already.

http://ereader-store.de/en/onyx-boox...oft-touch.html

regards
Old 06-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #29
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
looking forward to your review/opinion
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #30
ersott
Evangelist
ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ersott ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite2, Ipad Air, Kobo Aura H2o
Good review.

http://www.ixbt.com/pda/onyx-boox-i62m.shtml
ersott is offline   Reply With Quote