Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-06-2011, 10:54 PM   #1
adv_dp_fan
Zealot
adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!

Device: Sony 505, iPad 1 & 3, Galaxy Note 8.1
iBooks updated to 1.5

iBooks update with features I know several people wanted such as full screen mode (I personally like the decorations on the sides) and night mode. Lot of other stuff.

As with previous updates, it breaks some of my epubs though. Books that were justified are now not and I had just figured out a work around to make them work. Now to try and figure out how to do it all over again.
adv_dp_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:58 PM   #2
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Oy vey... you beat me to the punch by less than a minute.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
adv_dp_fan
Zealot
adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!adv_dp_fan will blow your mind, man!

Heh, I would have posted soon but took time out to test out the new features and such first.
Old 12-07-2011, 02:24 AM   #4
mcramer
Kiwi reader
mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone
Can't wait to download and have a look. Full screen at last! I can't wait to get rid of the annoying fake pages (although adv_dp_fan likes them )
mcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 02:49 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by adv_dp_fan View Post
As with previous updates, it breaks some of my epubs though. Books that were justified are now not and I had just figured out a work around to make them work. Now to try and figure out how to do it all over again.
Please let us know here or on the ePub forum how you do it. Lot's of people are struggling with these problems.

Karma in advance
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2011, 03:01 AM   #6
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by adv_dp_fan View Post
Have you turned on full-justification in the settings?
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 04:57 AM   #7
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
Maybe its only a subjective feeling, but iBooks seems faster than before when opening books and turning pages.

Anyway, night mode is great, the notes and highlight colors are nice (although not very useful to me).

Full screen mode makes it look like the Kindle app - its good, but the margins are still too big (would it hurt to make them adjustable?). And its not available on the iPod touch? What's up with that?
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:55 AM   #8
Musashi
Zealot
Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Musashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 4th Generation. Kindle Paperwhite.
I liked the Athelas font, no problems on my books here, all opening fine with justified text.

The fullscreen is strange to me, but some people will like it.
Musashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #9
adv_dp_fan
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramer View Post
Can't wait to download and have a look. Full screen at last! I can't wait to get rid of the annoying fake pages (although adv_dp_fan likes them )
Yeah I do, makes it feel a little less like I am just reading off a computer screen. Helps to maintain the illusion at least of reading a real book. And otherwise just looks like every other reader. But it is good to have the option for everyone.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:22 PM   #10
adv_dp_fan
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Please let us know here or on the ePub forum how you do it. Lot's of people are struggling with these problems.

Karma in advance
Had to work late last night so didn't have much time to test it yet but every "work around" I had to fix things in iBooks is now broken. Two main issues, sometimes text won't center properly and it seems to ignore the full justification options in CSS. Both were fixed by placing a <span> around the text but that no longer works. Need to play with it more. It broke not just my personal epubs but even commercial ones. Have to see if my source can get me the updated doc for iBooks, that really helped the last time they upgraded and broke things. Wish Apple would make that doc available to the general public.

Also have a harder time getting rid of that stupid "new" tag it randomly adds to some books. Use to just be able to open the book, flip a page, flip back, close the book and it wasn't marked new any more. Now I have to open the book, flip a page, close the book, open the book, flip back and close it to get the same result.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #11
adv_dp_fan
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTravers View Post
Have you turned on full-justification in the settings?
If I do then all books are force that way and it works fine but I want the book to control the settings. Some books I want full justified and some I don't, point is, it should honor the CSS code if that setting is turned off and it doesn't.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:26 PM   #12
adv_dp_fan
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel1626 View Post
Anyway, night mode is great, the notes and highlight colors are nice (although not very useful to me).
I tried night mode in the car last night and found it really hard to read, switched back to "day mode" and just turned down the brightness instead. Need to try it in bed though, that may be different.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #13
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel1626 View Post
Maybe its only a subjective feeling, but iBooks seems faster than before when opening books and turning pages.

Full screen mode makes it look like the Kindle app - its good, but the margins are still too big (would it hurt to make them adjustable?). And its not available on the iPod touch? What's up with that?
Can you get fullscreen mode in other than the night theme? I can't see where/how to.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 05:58 PM   #14
miguel1626
Great Old One
miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miguel1626 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro, iPhone 8 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Can you get fullscreen mode in other than the night theme? I can't see where/how to.
Sure you can (on the iPad, I mean). Just hit aA, Themes, Full Screen => On.

The full screen option is a toggle, and theme-independent.
miguel1626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:43 PM   #15
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
This addressed most of my iBooks issues. However, I still wish we had more options for adjusting the text color, but its an improvement.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote