Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 10-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #46
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The most likely reason for the lack of a PID is that the 0.91 firmware does not in fact support MobiPocket DRM.

If the Cybook is using MobiPocket's Java Reader, then we know it is capable of supporting DRM. It might be doing so, because I have not seen any examples of changing the line spacing or the margins - two shortcomings of the Java Reader. If the reader is instead a Bookeen developed application, then DRM support is in question.

Bookeen will obviously have to have DRM support before the Cybook is released, but I guess I am surprised that DRM is missing from the beta software.

Something else that is obviously missing is the capability to reflash the software. This would be a significant disadvantage if also true of the final device.
One way to be sure is to download any of the sample mobi format books and try to read on a different version of MobiPocket. That would prove if they have DRM or not at least in the sample books.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 08:53 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
What "sample books" are you referring to, Jon?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2007, 09:10 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For the non-techy, non-geek types, you'll find they won't want to be jumping through hoops like we are in order to get content over to some reading device. They will want to just go online, purchase the content, download it, install it, and read. I have to say, any device that doesn't allow this to happen is not going to succeed. Also, a lot of these people will want to purchase current books that won't be in Fictionwise's multi-format section. They might want the latest best seller or the latest paperback goodie from their favorite author. And how do they get these books? With DRM. You put out a reader that won't work with these books and either people won't purchase or they'll return them.

I know for myself, I can end up DRM free, but there is no way I can purchase all the books I will be reading without being DRM laden. Some I can yes, but a some I cannot. And if I didn't know how handle some of these issues, I'd be stuck having to have a device to handle the DRM.

The point is, while the goal of a device that doesn't deal with DRM is a nice idea, it's a fantasy and it won't sell well to the average person. Because for the geek market, the competition is tough. Sony, iRex, Hanlin, Amazon, Bookeen have or will have devices that are all going to be competitive in the geek market.

We have to be realistic, DRM is here, it's not going away any time soon and for a reading device to have a chance to succeed, it needs to be able to deal with on of the various flavors of DRM laden books. And right now, I see only three choices, BBeB, MobiPocket, or MS Reader. Adobe is not yet part of the game until DE is available for portable devices and there are enough books available in DE format.

Harry, I fully understand your saying that Derek can get Mobi format books that do not have DRM to use to help review the Gen3. I disagree. The Gen3 won't sell well unless he can go to some online bookshop and purchase say the latest Discworld novel and read it on his Gen3.
Old 10-04-2007, 09:27 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Harry, I fully understand your saying that Derek can get Mobi format books that do not have DRM to use to help review the Gen3. I disagree. The Gen3 won't sell well unless he can go to some online bookshop and purchase say the latest Discworld novel and read it on his Gen3.
My point was, Jon, that Derek is doing this review in his role as a member of the NAEB board, and NAEB aren't interested in DRM (it specifically says so in their Mission Statement). Producing a review for NAEB can therefore be done without reference to DRM.

Speaking for myself, I completely agree with your sentiments. The reason I intend to buy a Gen 3 is specifically because it does support Mobipocket DRM (or at least it will by the time it's released), and I've chosen to adopt MobiPocket DRM as my favoured DRM standard specifically because doing so gives me the greatest flexibility.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:37 AM   #50
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think Harry's ambivalence to DRM has much to do with the fact that he owns two readers. One compatible with the Sony BBeB and the other compatible with protected Mobipocket books. His choices aren't limited like they are with those who only own one device.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2007, 11:25 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think Harry's ambivalence to DRM has much to do with the fact that he owns two readers. One compatible with the Sony BBeB and the other compatible with protected Mobipocket books. His choices aren't limited like they are with those who only own one device.
No, it's not that at all. It's due to four reasons:

1. The overwhelming majority of the that books I read don't have DRM. My main reading interests are out-of-copyright classics, and SF/Fantasy. The first I get from PG, the latter from Baen, who don't use DRM.

2. The occasional "mainstream" book that I buy which does have DRM I very rarely have any urge to re-read.

3. The DRMed book I buy all use MobiPocket, who are the market leaders and have been around for many years. I have no reason to suppose that they won't be around for many years to come.

4. If I spend $10 on a book, I regard it as $10 of entertainment, not a "lifetime investment". If I did decide to re-read the book in 10 years time, and discovered that I could not longer read it, I'd spend another $10 for the pleasure of doing so. I throw away most of the paperbacks I buy (I don't have the storage space to keep them) so I'd do exactly the same with a paperback.

So, as you see, with these factors combined I really couldn't give two hoots about DRM one way or another. If a publisher decides that they really must use DRM in order to publish a book then I'd just happy to see it as an eBook. If they decide that they can publish it without DRM, that's even better. A DRMed eBook is better than no eBook at all, to my way of thinking.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:37 AM   #52
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
4. If I spend $10 on a book, I regard it as $10 of entertainment, not a "lifetime investment". If I did decide to re-read the book in 10 years time, and discovered that I could not longer read it, I'd spend another $10 for the pleasure of doing so. I throw away most of the paperbacks I buy (I don't have the storage space to keep them) so I'd do exactly the same with a paperback.
Why don't you sell your paperbacks?
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:40 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It's just not worth it. For me, my very limited amount of free time is worth more than the money I'd get for them. It's a matter of priorities.
Old 10-04-2007, 07:48 PM   #54
chatlumo
Enthusiast
chatlumo began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad V2
@Wallcraft
Could you please contact me by PM (because i can't contact you by PM).

(PM and no MP sorry

Last edited by chatlumo; 10-04-2007 at 08:43 PM.
chatlumo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:49 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

You mean PM I hope.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:51 PM   #56
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
MP is the french for PM (message privé=private message)
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 09:14 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

And PM is the way it's said in the forum software.