Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-20-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
I have sort of....

...bought myself an iPad for Christmas. It is mere feet from me yet I cannot open it. I might just stroke the box.

Does anyone think it's unwise to buy a first generation one for Christmas rather than wait for the next version?
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:11 AM   #2
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Screw the next gen. Open it and enjoy!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Well I can hardly argue with that.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
You are going to LOVE it!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
There is always something better coming in the future. Enjoy!

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #6
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
There is always something better coming in the future. Enjoy!

Lee
Yep I'm generally one to just jump in and not think about the next generation but since it's pretty much a complete luxury purchase I can't really justify with any particular use I've hesitated. I know I'll use it for all sorts of things but it's more of a want than a need.

Ah well, I think I'll keep it. I imagine they'll hold value pretty well so I can always upgrade at a later date if I decide I can't live without it.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
iPad is the first gadget I've early adopted, and I love it. Sure, better tablets will come along. For me, they weren't worth the wait. Plus, I can always upgrade later. For all the months I've already enjoyed iPad, it's cost relatively little.

Justfying one? Depends on the person, of course. Some people spend a bunch on things like sports tickets, expensive meals out, cable TV and such. Weighed against such, I'd much rather have an iPad.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 03:57 PM   #8
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
iPad is the first gadget I've early adopted, and I love it. Sure, better tablets will come along. For me, they weren't worth the wait. Plus, I can always upgrade later. For all the months I've already enjoyed iPad, it's cost relatively little.

Justfying one? Depends on the person, of course. Some people spend a bunch on things like sports tickets, expensive meals out, cable TV and such. Weighed against such, I'd much rather have an iPad.
Well it was more about justifying it to my wife but yeah I tend to make one or two large purchases a year and other than that I'm pretty cheap to run so she doesn't mind too much.
Old 11-20-2010, 04:11 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by weateallthepies View Post
...bought myself an iPad for Christmas. It is mere feet from me yet I cannot open it. I might just stroke the box.

Does anyone think it's unwise to buy a first generation one for Christmas rather than wait for the next version?
Nope. I bought the 1st generation Kindle 6 months after it came out (It was out of stock until then!) and never looked back until 2 1/2 yrs later when the K3 came out......
Like dixiegal said......just enjoy.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:15 AM   #10
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
Quote:

I personally would not buy the first generation, or buy a new generation immediately on release, but that's my personality. I'd rather let someone else find the bugs with the new release .

When I bought my iTouch, I deliberately bought 3rd gen when 4th had just come out. 4th was too recent for my taste (again, not wanting to be the one to find the bugs in the new release) and 3rd was MUCH less expensive on eBay.
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:14 AM   #11
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Well it was more about justifying it to my wife but yeah I tend to make one or two large purchases a year and other than that I'm pretty cheap to run so she doesn't mind too much.
My husband's not a big spender, either. When he does wanna splurge, I'm all for it. If you work hard and are generally good with money, you earn your splurges, I figure. Of course, mileage will vary. For some people, saving is key. Nothing wrong with that.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 08:06 AM   #12
nursedude
Zealot
nursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankindnursedude has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo (Original), KT, iPad 1, iPhone 4S, iPad 3rd gen
In tech there will always be something newer just around the corner. The iPad is one of the first early adoption purchases I've ever made and it's the purchase I regret least. Enjoy the iPad. Life's too short to second guess yourself.
nursedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:34 AM   #13
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Also it seems that in a few hours you will be able to enjoy the brand new iOS 4.2.1 on a brand new iPad
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 09:52 AM   #14
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by harakiri View Post
Also it seems that in a few hours you will be able to enjoy the brand new iOS 4.2.1 on a brand new iPad
I thought 4.2 wasn't being released until Wednesday (Nov. 24).
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:05 AM   #15
harakiri
Groupie
harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harakiri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
according to Apple.com its today

at 10 am Pacific Time
harakiri is offline   Reply With Quote