Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige
mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
A fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge

Hi,

I'm having issues locating this book in a non kindle format. Can someone suggest where I could get it?

Thanks...
mukoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #2
stxopher
Nameless Being

Sorry but I don't believe you can even get it in the kindle format. Amazon lists it as a preorder to be delivered on Dec. 1, 2010. All the other sites I frequent have had the ordering pages pulled.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Well that's weird. I have a legal copy, and now I can't find it in a store.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:08 PM   #4
stxopher
Nameless Being

I noticed a lot of search engines had pages leading to the books but all of them are now "no longer here" pages. Several had auxiliary pages mentioning that it could be preordered around May, 2007.

My guess? It was for sale but was pulled later when contracts expired. Amazons pre-order for Dec. leads me to think that MacMillian will release it again as a new issue.

(shrug) Just the way it goes, I suppose. Just because an ebook takes no space and can never degrade while sitting on an online shelf, it can still disappear due to the wiles and ways of business.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige
mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.mukoan has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Good to know I'm not going mad. Thanks for the confirmation.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post
I noticed a lot of search engines had pages leading to the books but all of them are now "no longer here" pages. Several had auxiliary pages mentioning that it could be preordered around May, 2007.
Amusingly, the CyberRead link now redirects to 101 Deep Fryer Recipes You Can Cook Anytime! Tasty & Delicious Recipes That Are Simply And Easy To Make Any Time!

I guess that was the closest match.

A Fire Upon the Deep and its semi-sequel A Deepness in the Sky are really good hard SF novels. I enjoyed them. It's a shame they're not readily available for people who prefer ebooks.

-- Ted
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Both books are in my personal top ten all time favorites.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #8
mukoan
Lord Of All That's Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Both books are in my personal top ten all time favorites.
well great... thanks for rubbing it in...
Old 06-25-2010, 01:14 AM   #9
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellaster View Post
A Fire Upon the Deep and its semi-sequel A Deepness in the Sky are really good hard SF novels. I enjoyed them. It's a shame they're not readily available for people who prefer ebooks.

-- Ted
As Deepness is a prequel but was written after Fire, which do you suggest is the better reading order? Fire then Deepness of Deepness then Fire?

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:40 AM   #10
Dellaster
本の虫
Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Dellaster has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle3, DXG, Fire · iPad, iPod
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKFFW View Post
As Deepness is a prequel but was written after Fire, which do you suggest is the better reading order? Fire then Deepness of Deepness then Fire?

Cheers,
PKFFW
My bad calling Deepness a "semi-sequel" since, as you note, it's a loose prequel written seven years later. Somehow I missed Fire and read Deepness first. I think that reading order works well. A Fire Upon the Deep explains things about the galaxy that are mysteries in A Deepness in the Sky.

But either order probably works okay. Certainly most fans of Vernor Vinge read them as they came out and didn't have a problem.

-- Ted
Dellaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Amazon did offer it, but it was pulled. So some folk may have purchased it legally. Check your back-ups.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:42 PM   #12
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I agree that the order of those two doesn't matter very much. Oh, and they are among my top picks in SF too. Sorry.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:37 PM   #13
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellaster View Post
My bad calling Deepness a "semi-sequel" since, as you note, it's a loose prequel written seven years later. Somehow I missed Fire and read Deepness first. I think that reading order works well. A Fire Upon the Deep explains things about the galaxy that are mysteries in A Deepness in the Sky.

But either order probably works okay. Certainly most fans of Vernor Vinge read them as they came out and didn't have a problem.

-- Ted
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire
I agree that the order of those two doesn't matter very much. Oh, and they are among my top picks in SF too. Sorry.
Thanks for the replies.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 01:20 AM   #14
Shadowplay
Groupie
Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shadowplay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Let me preface this by saying I absolutely loved A Fire Upon the Deep. Now with that said... I never even finished the prequel A Deepness in the Sky. It didn't "click" with me for some reason. Probably one of those books I should revisit at some point I guess.
Shadowplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 08:49 PM   #15
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
What annoys me is that there have been e-book editions of A Fire Upon the Deep -- including the enhanced one with notes from Vernor Vinge. I hope they make that edition available for fans who want it. I hope more authors and publishers make similar annotated editions available as a nice present for e-book readers.

I bought it from Fictionwise ages ago. Tonight, I checked, I'm still able to download it and was able to read it on this computer, so at least I have a working Mobi ID thingie on this computer. However, I haven't read it yet. As it turns out, for the first-time reader, the notes are too distracting. Either I ignore them and feel I'm missing out, or I read them and get distracted. I can't win.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote