Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-14-2011, 01:48 AM   #1
fogstratus
fogstratus began at the beginning.

Device: None
Kindle not recognized

Having spent over ten hours yesterday, and several today attempting to resolve this problem, I am, finally, out of frustration, seeking assistance from the calibre community.

I have read tens of pages in the forums addressing similar difficulties, but none of the suggestions worked to solve my problem. Nothing I have done has enabled me to get calibre to recognize the Kindle 2 plugged into any of the computer's USB slots. The computer does recognize the Kindle is plugged into it as Removable Disk G:, but, again, calibre does not "see" it.

If I left click on the G: drive I get a message, "Please insert a disk into Removable Disk (G”. If I right click on the G: drive the message is, "You need to format the disk in drive G: before you can use it. Do you want to format?"

The Kindle shows the USB charging screen.

The following is the debug log for the calibre:

calibre Debug log
calibre 0.7.49
Windows-7-6.1.7600
Windows
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7600')
Python 2.7.0
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7600', '', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Starting up...
Started up in 11.2279999256

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
fogstratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
chyron8472
Groupie
chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chyron8472 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5, Amazon Fire 5th Gen, Moto Z Play Droid
I believe your Kindle was at some time disconnected from your computer without properly "ejecting" it first. Below is a quote from another thread describing my experience as to how I personally determined why the same thing was happening to me.

What to do about fixing your immediate problem? The best first thing I can suggest is to powercycle your computer (turn it all the way off, then on again) and also restart your Kindle [Menu button -> Settings -> Menu button -> Restart (not Reset to Factory Defaults- that's overkill)]

umm... that should fix it. At least it did for me. I don't see that you should need to, but you could then also try going to Device Manager (Start button/orb -> Run... -> type: devmgmt.msc ). Under "Disk Drives" there should be "Kindle Internal Storage USB Device" listed. Right click it, click "uninstall," Click OK on the confirm dialog. After the Kindle driver is removed from there, click "Action" in the menu bar at the top and then "Scan for hardware changes." It should rediscover the Kindle.

Again, I don't think you have to do that, as the first suggestion worked for me, but it is still an option you can try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chyron8472 View Post
I used to have intermittent problems with my Kindle not being recognized when reconnecting after having unplugged it from my desktop pc.

Here's what I discovered:

Since I am using Windows 7 x64, ejecting my Kindle from "My Computer" or the "Safely Remove Hardware" system tray icon has a different effect than ejecting it from Calibre.

- If I "eject" my Kindle from either "My Computer" or from the "Safely Remove Hardware" systray icon, it will remove my Kindle from appearing in Windows and my Kindle will then come out of USB Mode while still plugged in;

- If I "eject" my Kindle from Calibre first, my Kindle will no longer appear elsewhere in Windows either but the Kindle itself remains in USB Mode as long as it is still connected. It is this method which I believe causes the Kindle to sometimes not recognize properly when reconnecting to the computer.

With this in mind, I always eject my Kindle from Windows rather than from Calibre.

My laptop, however, is running XP 32-bit, and never causes any issues if I eject from either location. I believe I read somewhere that the issue of Calibre not kicking the Kindle out of USB Mode is a problem Calibre has when running on 64-bit OSes.

All I know is, ever since I started ejecting my Kindle from Windows rather than from Calibre on my desktop pc, I no longer have any issues at all.

Last edited by chyron8472; 03-14-2011 at 10:49 AM.
chyron8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
fogstratus
fogstratus began at the beginning.

Device: None
Reply to chyron8472

Thanks, chyron8472, for your response. This is the first opportunity I have had to respond to you.

I tried your suggestion without any success. The computer I was attempting to have recognize the Kindle is my Wife's PC, which operates the Windows 7 OS; the Kindle be longs to her as well. After the four days of working on her PC and Mac (I could get the Mac, and calibre, to recognize my literati, but it would not recognize my the Kindle!) I decided to try and get my PC (OS Windows XP) recognizing the Kindle and literati, which it has done!!! However, calibre only recognizes the Kindle! Sooooooooo, the struggle continues!

Oh, by the way, if you are having any difficulty with reading a book on calibre you may wish to try the "Starko Guide."

Thanks again,

fogstratus
fogstratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #4
quickfix
quickfix began at the beginning.

Device: K5
I just experienced this issue myself. The problem (for me) was that my PC was assigning the kindle to drive D:, which apparently windows 7 did not like. Here is the fix:

(With your kindle plugged in)
1) From the desktop, right click your computer icon and click "manage"
2) click "disk management" in the left pane
3) in the right pane, right click "kindle" click "change drive letter and paths..."
4) click the "change" button and make sure the "Assign the following drive letter" radio button is selected
5) choose a new drive letter in the dropdown box to the right (I chose Z
6) Click "OK" and verify that you can now access the drive correctly.

HTH
quickfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
ratflinger
Enthusiast
ratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneratflinger makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: K3, Touch, Paperwhite 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by chyron8472 View Post

Device Manager (Start button/orb -> Run... -> type: devmgmt.msc ). Under "Disk Drives" there should be "Kindle Internal Storage USB Device" listed. Right click it, click "uninstall," Click OK on the confirm dialog. After the Kindle driver is removed from there, click "Action" in the menu bar at the top and then "Scan for hardware changes." It should rediscover the Kindle.

This part worked exceptionally well for me - Thanks

ratflinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
highstream
Enthusiast
highstream began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I just encountered the same not-recognized problem with a basic Kindle, IV I think. Plus, when I plugged in the Kindle to the comptuer in off position, after several seconds or more it turned on to the last page read. Never saw that before. The USB 3.0 port, the one I usually use, otherwise worked fine. After trying every other solution mentioned, from rebooting to restarting to using a port on the other side of the computer, it turned out that merely changing the USB port on the same hub got it recognized. Strange.
highstream is offline   Reply With Quote