Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-07-2010, 01:58 AM   #31
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVash View Post
Thank you for the information Hitch. With that in mind why would an author not want to go to Amazon and put their book on the Kindle? It seems like a good idea and everything you said sounds fair. What would hold an author back? Am I missing something here?
You know, NVash--I often wonder that myself. I think, based upon my experience, that a lot of people who aren't particularly "techie" are intimidated by the idea of the technology; by the conversion process; by feeling like they don't understand eBooks, so are afraid that they can't control what happens with them; they don't have eReaders themselves, so they don't "get" it...OR they are afraid of the marketing that is involved.

I've found any number of authors who are overwhelmed by the idea of having to act as their own "publishers" and don't understand that the business has dramatically changed over the last 20 years; they're still looking for a publisher that pays a big advance, and pays for marketing; and they don't want to do the blog thing, and blog tours, FB, Twitter, blah blah blah. There is also still a tightly-held perception that "self-publishing"="vanity publishing" and the stigma that is associated with that keeps many professionally published authors from taking that route. {shrug}. It could be any of these things; none of these things; or some combination thereof. Only your friend could say.

HTH,

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote