Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 06-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #1696
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura-panda View Post
...An Echo in the Bone....
I'm not surprised. I suspected that Amazon was experimenting with cranial implants. Very innovative, that company.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 11:15 AM   #1697
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'm currently listening to book 1 of The Sharing Knife, by Lois McMaster Bujold. This is a four-volume fantasy novel that is not set in any other set of worlds or universe, but completely stand-alone. If rather lengthy.

The world building is good, the story moves along, and the characters are both believable and likable. And they develop over time. In other words, it's a typically well written and enjoyable work by Ms. Bujold, if not about the Vorkosigans.

The narration is by Bernadette Dunne, and it's very well done, as always. Ms. Dunne has good pace; a sense of the story, not just the words; and delineates characters well.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-29-2016, 02:06 PM   #1698
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I started Farthing, by Jo Walton, her alternative history of a Britain that negotiated a separate peace with Hitler. It's read John Keating and Bianca Amato, who take the chapters in turn.

I had a lot of issues. Much of the book seemed silly to me; info dumps in the form of conversations and dialogue that I couldn't buy, but worst of all was Keating's narration. He read in a sing-song tone that drove me up a wall and which drew my attention to various absurdities my eye might have skipped over if I were reading. I was only looking for a light listen and would have persevered with Amato only, despite the book's flaws, but Keating was unendurable. Even though I paid only $3.95 for it, I returned it to Audible, something I've done just once before.

So what now? Nothing's calling my name. (Not done with The Far Side of the World, but I don't like to squander that on my commute.)
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 05:05 PM   #1699
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
So what now? Nothing's calling my name. (Not done with The Far Side of the World, but I don't like to squander that on my commute.)
So, lots of possible choices, issybird. There's a Frederick Davidson narration of PG Wodehouse that's on the slate for this month. Or you can slide over into my world for a bit and try something fun in the SF/F genres. I can certainly give you some suggestions there. Or, any interest in a very fast paced thriller with a strong female protagonist? Or is that too much for a commute?
Old 06-29-2016, 05:10 PM   #1700
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I had gotten Jodi Picoult's "Larger Than Life" somewhere (free??). It was very sentimental, given my post-cancer-meds hormonal state. Tears running down my cheeks. Fortunately, a cross country highway has light traffic when you aren't near a big city.

I also listened to and cried somewhat, over "Why Gettysburg Still Matters" (a 15 minute short).

I only use audiobooks (so far) while on cross country drives. Guess I'd better stick to non-sentimental things. Agatha Christie and Sherlock Holmes have been most of them, so far, but I've run out of those. Next trip won't be for 6 or 12 months, tho, so I've got time to look.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2016, 11:09 AM   #1701
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
So, lots of possible choices, issybird. There's a Frederick Davidson narration of PG Wodehouse that's on the slate for this month. Or you can slide over into my world for a bit and try something fun in the SF/F genres. I can certainly give you some suggestions there. Or, any interest in a very fast paced thriller with a strong female protagonist? Or is that too much for a commute?
I'm probably not in the market for a thriller, but of course I'm curious! And fun is always good, so I'd love to know what's fun in SF/F.

I'm holding off on Wodehouse because if it wins, I'll listen somewhat closer to the discussion date. And no rush, for in the meantime I've downloaded the Oedipus plays, a recent freebie, but that'll be a shortish listen. All suggestions entertained! (I love booklists. )
Old 06-30-2016, 01:57 PM   #1702
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Having finished the excellent Dick Van Dyke book, I'm now listening to 1632 written by Eric Flint and read by George Guidall, in which a bunch of hillbillies get thrown together with people from other time eras.
Old 06-30-2016, 02:55 PM   #1703
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I'm probably not in the market for a thriller, but of course I'm curious! And fun is always good, so I'd love to know what's fun in SF/F.

I'm holding off on Wodehouse because if it wins, I'll listen somewhat closer to the discussion date. And no rush, for in the meantime I've downloaded the Oedipus plays, a recent freebie, but that'll be a shortish listen. All suggestions entertained! (I love booklists. )
How about Barbara Pym's Excellent Women, narrated by Jayne Entwistle?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 05:42 PM   #1704
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
How about Barbara Pym's Excellent Women, narrated by Jayne Entwistle?
An excellent suggestion, thank you!

I read all of those Harper & Row Pym paperbacks when they came out ca. 1980, but I've never revisited and I really should. An audiobook would add a different dimension and going by my memory, would make an excellent listen. I thought Pym was wonderful.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:18 PM   #1705
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Well, for a thriller, with a strong female protagonist, try the Jane Whitefield series from Thomas Perry. The first in the series is Vanishing Act. The narrator isn't great, but I thought acceptable, and it's very fast paced. Also VERY much before the changes to flying since 9-11.

For a bit of Georgette Heyer set in a different universe, try Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's Local Custom, read superbly by Bernadette Dunne. My review from Audible:

Quote:
Classic Heyer-esque Romance with Cultural Clash
Think of a classic Georgette Heyer Regency, add in a big dose of language and cultural misunderstanding, a dash of real danger, and a healthy dollop of good characterization, and you have Local Custom. A wonderful Space Regency, if you will. Set fairly early in the time of Clan Korval, Local Custom tells the story of Er Thom yos'Galan, Master Trader and thodelm of Korval, and Anne Davis, Linguistics Scholar and Terran.

This book can be read without having read any of the other books in the Liaden Universe, and is thus one possible entry point. It's a delightful story that I did not want to stop reading, and had me driving the long way around more than once. The reading is by Bernadette Dunne, and that's all you really need to know. Ms. Dunne is a superb reader and it's a pleasure to have her for the reading of the three Space Regencies in the Liaden Universe.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:27 PM   #1706
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Having finished the excellent Dick Van Dyke book, I'm now listening to 1632 written by Eric Flint and read by George Guidall, in which a bunch of hillbillies get thrown together with people from other time eras.
Well, somehow, I don't think I'd quite characterize them as hillbillies. Though some certainly qualify, most are West (by God) Virginia coal miners. And it's not so much thrown together with people, but their entire town is dropped into the middle of the 30 Years War in Bavaria.

OTOH, it's a great story, well read by Guidall, and very well researched by Eric Flint (and later ones in the series by a whole cadre of fans and writers.) An excellent book, and one I very much enjoyed. And while I found that some of the later books in the series were too complicated to deal with while driving, this first one was not a problem. (And would be something issybird might well like, given the historical content.)

Last edited by CRussel; 06-30-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:48 PM   #1707
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
For a bit of Georgette Heyer set in a different universe, try Sharon Lee and Steve Miller's Local Custom, read superbly by Bernadette Dunne. My review from Audible:
Oh, I very much like Bernadette Dunne and this sounds like a lot of fun. Thank you!
Old 07-01-2016, 02:08 PM   #1708
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
...I'm now listening to 1632 written by Eric Flint and read by George Guidall, in which a bunch of hillbillies get thrown together with people from other time eras.
Quote:
Well, somehow, I don't think I'd quite characterize them as hillbillies....
I wouldn't either, not really, but then again there's this clip from chapter 11 that might indicate otherwise.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 07-01-2016 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Chapter 11, not 12. Corrected.
Old 07-01-2016, 02:41 PM   #1709
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Yes, I remember that comment. And I sort of get it. But I just think using the term as a description here kind of sets perceptions that don't appear to play out overall. Now, I realize you're from Virginia, not West Virginia, so that might also play into the whole thing. However, I wasn't really complaining, just babbling online because my pain meds from the root canal are definitely doing their job right now.
Old 07-01-2016, 04:13 PM   #1710
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
However, I wasn't really complaining, just babbling online because my pain meds from the root canal are definitely doing their job right now.
Lovely, lovely pain meds! I hope you're on the mend soon, Charlie! In my one experience of a root canal, I thought the toothache that occasioned it was worse than the procedure, but I'm sure that's a YMMV situation.

Tags
audible, audiobooks, recommendations