Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 02:28 PM   #1
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3W, LG OG-E970, Utopia Apad
Which one to buy? for memo, To-do lists, good pdf support

Hi all

It's been a while since I made a thread (I haven't created many threads though).

I am a student and I am prepping for an entrance exam called CAT (Common Aptitude Test) for a management degree, which is considered as one of the toughest exams in my country (and even considered so in some other parts of the World). And a big part of the exam deals with English vocab/comprehension etc, so quality reading becomes crucial for me. Being a student, and without a very good job I cannot really spend a lot for a reading device, as the text books, notes and the preparation materials cost a lot, already. So an e-book reader will be a supporting device for strengthening my English.

I am mainly looking for dictionary support in a reader, as it would help improving my word power as I go on reading various types of books. I wont really be reading any specific text books or preparation materials on it, so I don't really need note taking ability but it would be an added advantage.

I have been interested in PRS 600 so far, as it has the dictionary support as well as note taking ability. Along with that, it has plenty of memory. But my concern is, do you think a Kindle 3 would be better in terms of dictionary support? Also the base version costs $139 which is a bit cheaper than some of the PRS 600s present in the Flea market.

And on the other hand, how much do you think would be a fair price for a PRS 600 with a book cover, and also a PRS 600 with a book cover attached with lamp?

Btw, this thread here by Maxbookworm is one of the culprits which made me value PRS 600 a lot more than before. Thank you Max.

At the flea market, there were quite a few good deals on PRS 600s, but I didn't turn out to lucky either because of quoting too low or by being late to respond a thread. I don't want that to happen again, as my exams are almost few months away, and I have already waited too long. And most important of all - I am desperate to start reading again on a good device. (my iPAQ 3650 which I received from a lovable mobilereader member, cough**armadillo*cough is being used to the max, though it cant support all my needs now)

To sum it up,
  • Which one to go for - PRS 600 or Kindle 3 or something else?
  • Price which can be quoted for a PRS 600 + case, PRS 600 + case with lamp?
  • Any cheaper alternative which has dictionary support, as I am not in a position to spend on better but costlier devices
  • And if you are planning to sell your PRS 600, please do let me know

Sorry as the thread was a bit long, looking forward to your replies.
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3W, LG OG-E970, Utopia Apad
I've decided!

It's going to be a PRS 900.

It should help me to read any kind of documents any where, and two dictionaries should help me to a great deal! And then there's the note taking feature, which ofcourse will help me with many things. (I am hoping to see atleast a couple of replies now, it feels weird to reply to my own thread :P )

Anyway, this thread will help me fight the anxiety which I'll be facing till I have the device in my hands. And I think I feel like a father expecting a child (I just realized I am ridiculously silly!). And this child will be coming after crossing (flying probably) seven seas. Call me crazy but this is exciting for me. Thank you Kenny and Mobileread and Maxbookworm and everybody else.

I will make more sensible posts here about why I chose the device, what are its capabilities (I know, PRS 900 has been out for a while, but still ), once I have the device with me.
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert