Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 12:23 AM   #1
bamelin
Enthusiast
bamelin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Charging for First Time

Just wondering if it's necessary to charge for the full 3 hours the first time? My reader looks like it came half charged
bamelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:10 AM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I played with mine for a while and then let the charging thing happen over USB. A couple of hours later the red light went off and the battery meter showed full. I'd be inclided to use the device as much as you want the first day, but then make sure you give it a full charge. After that, you can expect up to two weeks of typical usage on a full battery.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamelin View Post
Just wondering if it's necessary to charge for the full 3 hours the first time? My reader looks like it came half charged
Mine charged to full in under an hour. The directions say it "MAY" require up to 3 hours of charging. I assume the readers are shipped charged to some degree. The first shipment shouldn't take so long to charge as they haven't been sitting in the warehouse too long. The longer they sit the less charge they will have hence the need for longer charging times. That's just my guess.
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:20 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Another reason for fully charging a device the first time is to correctly calibrate the power gauge.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I played with mine for a while and then let the charging thing happen over USB. A couple of hours later the red light went off and the battery meter showed full. I'd be inclided to use the device as much as you want the first day, but then make sure you give it a full charge. After that, you can expect up to two weeks of typical usage on a full battery.
So when the red light turns on the device is fully charged?
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
terifili
Enthusiast
terifili doesn't litterterifili doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
where is the battery meter?
terifili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
When the red light goes off, the battery is fully charged. The battery meter is at the bottom of the display menu.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
Gordo29
Connoisseur
Gordo29 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo-1st Porcelain 2nd Black, Touch, Aura, now Libra H2O
Anyone had a problem with battery life? When I put a 2GB SD card in the battery life seemed to be very poor (or was it just my imagination). Would having an SD card change the battery life??
Gordo29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo29 View Post
Anyone had a problem with battery life? When I put a 2GB SD card in the battery life seemed to be very poor (or was it just my imagination). Would having an SD card change the battery life??
It can. SD cards are supposed to be shut off when not needed. Perhaps the Kobo software isn't doing that or perhaps the SD card is not responding to the command to shut down. Try another card and see which problem it is.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:45 PM   #10
jimr
jimr began at the beginning.

Device: Original Kobo
My battery just went dead. I charged it fully after taking it out of the box. I played around with it over the weekend and charged it again. However, within a day and a half (and not a heck of a lot of reading on it), the battery meter showed 'e' in the centre. Anybody else notice this, or might I have a defective battery?
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote