Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-14-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Refurbished Kindle DX

How often do refurb Kindle DX's come up for sale on Amazon? I have absolutely no problem buying refurbs, closeouts, etc. But I'm not going to bother stalking if they come up once in a blue moon.

Thanks!
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
If Amazon is really developing an international DX for 2010, you should start seeing refurbished units hitting the website. That's what happened with the K2.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2009, 06:16 PM   #3
Euroboy
Connoisseur
Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle2 Intl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
If Amazon is really developing an international DX for 2010, you should start seeing refurbished units hitting the website. That's what happened with the K2.
OH Man, I sure hope they do.... Still the pdf viewing worries me..(or lack of).
Euroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post
OH Man, I sure hope they do.... Still the pdf viewing worries me..(or lack of).
I'm not sure what you mean. The DX is designed to read PDFs. That is part of it's main purpose.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:35 AM   #5
Euroboy
Connoisseur
Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle2 Intl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. The DX is designed to read PDFs. That is part of it's main purpose.

BOb
It is a lot of reports that says the DX lacks native pdf support and that it doesn´t necessarily renders the pdfs well. You can not zoom for instance.. I mostly read scientific papers as pdfs so it is pretty important to me.
Euroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It is a lot of reports that says the DX lacks native pdf support and that it doesn´t necessarily renders the pdfs well. You can not zoom for instance.. I mostly read scientific papers as pdfs so it is pretty important to me.
Some people say is has a "bad implementation". My understanding is that they say it because it doesn't support hyperlinks within a document. I don't know about the zooming.. but the idea is that since the screen is big enough you won't need to zoom to read it.

Also, you can't do search or dictionary in the PDFs if they are not text PDFs. Some PDFs have text in them and some are just 100% images. I think that makes a difference. Although I don't think any reader will be able to do text search in a PDF that doesn't contain text. There are some software packages out there that allow you to OCR the PFD and add text to it. PDFPen for Mac for example. Or if you have Evernote Premium account any PDF you put into it will be OCRed automatically.

But, it does nativity support and view PDF files.

BOb
Old 10-18-2009, 11:02 AM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
OK, I read some of the DX user guide that you can get online. From the user guide:

Quote:
Kindle DX can display a PDF document without losing the formatting of the original file. Just drag PDF files over USB or e-mail them to your dedicated Kindle e-mail address (found on the Settings page on Kindle or the Manage Your Kindle page on Amazon.com). We will wirelessly deliver the original file directly to your Kindle for a fee. For details, see the “Your orders and individual charges” section of your Manage Your Kindle page for your Kindle DX on Amazon.com.
When you display a PDF is portrait mode is automatically crops the margins to give you the best display it can. You can also rotate the kindle to landscape mode and the PDF will zoom and show you the top of the document and you can scroll down.

You might want to grab the users guide to the DX. At this point the only other option for a large screen reader that does support hyperlinks is the iRex DR1000s which is $860. Not sure if hyperlink support is worth the extra $370.

BOb
Old 10-18-2009, 08:26 PM   #8
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I 'think' they've had 2-3 releases of refurned Kindle 1s so far. I suspect that when the number of refurbs available hits a certain number, they put them on the website.

Once they have that magic number I think they will be available.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #9
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
I had a refurb DX in my cart last night. This morning, it was gone.

So they must trickle in and out as people return them.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #10
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

When you display a PDF is portrait mode is automatically crops the margins to give you the best display it can. You can also rotate the kindle to landscape mode and the PDF will zoom and show you the top of the document and you can scroll down.

BOb
My DX doesn't crop at all, I do that in Acrobat first if there are wide margins in the PDF. Most of my PDFs are books and articles that have been scanned and OCR'd (usually from within Acrobat). (So they're image files with OCR.)

Perhaps the cropping happens with PDFs made from doc files? Since I can send the doc files to the DX through email, I don't convert them to PDFs first so I can't say.

The rotate function can work that way, but I much prefer portrait.

Re: refurbs: I think a refurb DX would be a great deal. Same warranty, right?
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:26 PM   #11
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio717 View Post

Re: refurbs: I think a refurb DX would be a great deal. Same warranty, right?
Yes, identical warranty as if it was purchased brand new. "refurbs" are mostly customer returns, which are in mint condition.

They will be back in stock in a day or two, once Amazon processes returns from last week.
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:24 PM   #12
Keithd
Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Keithd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
I had a refurb DX in my cart last night. This morning, it was gone.

So they must trickle in and out as people return them.
Sorry about that! I bought one last night. They were available for a couple days. It hasn't shipped just yet, hope they don't cancel the order. CC charges went through, though.
Keithd is offline   Reply With Quote