Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-16-2009, 01:43 PM   #31
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
If they are doing anything in response to sony then they should stop being lazy and get some networks signed up so they can launch the kindle in other countries either that or start preparing to sell epubs in their other stores since if they leave things too long that format will be firmly entrenched as the only option.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:01 PM   #32
Sport40L
Member Retired
Sport40L began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I was able to get a refurbed Kindle 2 at the $189 price yesterday. I wonder why the $30 swing in the last day. My order status says it won't be shipped until Sept. 21 though. Bittersweet.
Sport40L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #33
hal_9000
Enthusiast
hal_9000 has learned how to buy an e-book online

hey guys, which is a better deal? the K1 for $149, or K2 for $219?
hal_9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:23 PM   #34
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Depends more on what you want. I like the form factor of kindle 2. Kindle 2 is faster if that is important to you. Also has text to speech although I never use it.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #35
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hal_9000 View Post
hey guys, which is a better deal? the K1 for $149, or K2 for $219?
I'd go for the K1 unless you really want the text to speech.

The K2 is an upgrade, but not worth that $70 price difference IMO. At least not to me--I bought a used K1 in early spring.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #36
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
How much faster though? Is it really noticable?
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #37
drew00149
Connoisseur
drew00149 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, iRex iLiad, HTC Kaiser
Does the refurb come with all the same accessories as the retail kindle?
drew00149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:56 PM   #38
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
This sounds like a terrific XMass gift for my inlaws. I like the kindle 1, myself, but the fit and finsh on the kindle 2 seems nicer. But I think I will get them each a kindle 1 - that way if they have questions, I can help!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:56 PM   #39
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew00149 View Post
Does the refurb come with all the same accessories as the retail kindle?
yep. it even comes with the box. in sealed plastic too.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #40
hal_9000
Enthusiast
hal_9000 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I'd go for the K1 unless you really want the text to speech.

The K2 is an upgrade, but not worth that $70 price difference IMO. At least not to me--I bought a used K1 in early spring.
thanks bro, i think you're right about the K1 being a better overall deal, but my insatiable desire for instant-gratification won out: the K2 will be here Friday

what a dilemma this has been: deciding between K2 v. Sony 505/600. I'm just relieved to have finally picked SOMETHING. Its been a ball and chain on me for days (seriously). Seems like the pro for Kindle are great selection/wireless, but cons are amazon's policies (can't download any other format, must pay for PDF, no case, and battery replacement, which i've heard you actually send in your kindle and get a different one??! god i hope not). sony's pros and con's were similar. this was a tough choice. in the end, the refurb price won me, saving $80? hell yeah. i trust you guys this will look like new, and i have the 30 days anyway to return. thanks for posting!
hal_9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #41
drew00149
Connoisseur
drew00149 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, iRex iLiad, HTC Kaiser
Doesn't look like the K2 is available anymore.

Edit: Never mind it's back

Last edited by drew00149; 09-16-2009 at 06:27 PM.
drew00149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #42
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
How much faster though? Is it really noticable?
The kindle 2 as well as the Sony 600 & 700 (as well as some other newer readers) have the Epson controller I believe. Its a faster processer. I had a kindle 1 and a Sony 505 and yes I do notice the difference. Page turning is a bit faster.
Old 09-16-2009, 05:33 PM   #43
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisreed View Post
.. features of the kindle like dictionary lookup and wireless downloading and browsing.
Can you tell me how the browsing experience is for you? I know there is another thread on this, but I just didn't get the feel for how bad it would be. I would like to get to Google Voice and a few other things. Mostly to use at a summer home where I deliberately don't want the time-wasting lure of high-speed internet. For example, how does it compare to dialup in user experience (except of course, for pics/color)? Any particular problems you dislike? I have a Peek (with lifetime access) for e-mail, so don't need it for that.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:38 PM   #44
lisreed
Addict

If you are using it for mainly text based sites I find it to be fine. I hardly ever have used it but its nice when you are away from home to look up something quick. Because of the wireless Iwould say it loads the pages pretty well. Not as fast as your home computer but not bad. I mainly use it for getting books from manybooks since I can use there mobile address and directly download books to my kindle that way. I occasionally use it to check gmail but since getting and iphone and that being with me usually when I am away from home, I don't tend to use the kindle for that. Hope that helps a little :-)
Old 09-16-2009, 06:43 PM   #45
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For those who, like me, were wondering about the various reasons one might choose a gen 1 Kinkdle over a Gen 2, I found this video

I think the "retro keyboard" point is a little weak for my taste (though of course it's entirely subjective,) but overall I liked what she had to say.
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote