Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-18-2009, 11:58 PM   #46
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
hm... Handsome is that kind of doctor... you'll keep us guessing till the last, won't you ?
"Handsome". Bah! Head like a sucked mango seed and face like a hat-full of arseholes, I bet. I don't trust him. Looks like a shifty little bugger to me, and the gods know what Adrian's doing hanging out with the likes of him. "MD (ret.)" pfft!...$300 bucks says the social deviant was chased from the fine profession of doctorology onto some dessert island (shut up, I know what I wrote - I like dessert) where he performed cruel and unusual experiments on the innocent and the mostly-innocent-except-for-the-occasional-lapse-into-temptation. If he lays one hand on one hair of our Vera's locks, I'll pull his colon out via his left nostril. You watch him, VR. Watch him close.

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by montsnmags; 06-19-2009 at 12:21 AM.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 12:48 AM   #47
Jill74
Banned
Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505
me too. im late..hope i didnt miss anything.

Jill74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2009, 11:47 AM   #48
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
yes i am, but keep it down willya !!! don't want any nasting rumours getting out...

what, you mean the one about your Sony ?

First time I've seen surnames for these two characters ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 11:55 AM   #49
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Major Biggles sat at his desk, thinking of what to include in the report on the South American Revolutionaries that was due in ten minutes. He had not actually read anything other than a five year old report out of Panama that noted that there had always been Revolutionaries and probably always would be. But that seldom stopped him from writing highly illuminating reports that were quite frequently actually read for a few paragraphs before bieng filed.

He idly wondered if there might be someone's lunch in the office refirgerator.

"BIGGLES!" came the dulcet tones of his superior officer.

"Sah!" he responded.

"HAUL IT IN HERE!" Biggles superior was of the opionion that "newfangled" office equipment such as intercoms were for sissies.

Biggles jumped up and marched sharply into Colonel Edwards' office. He glanced nervously at the portriat of the President on the wall next to the door, which was peppered with bullet holes. Biggles had once made the mistake of walking into the room shortly after the President had made one of his "Fireside Chats." Edwards was a died in the wool Republican and liked his target practice.

That worthy shoved a file across his desk and asked, "What do you make of this, Biggles?"

He picked it up and scanned the sheet enclosed. "Dear lord!" he exclaimed.

"Exactly! I need you to grab the next flight to Havana and check this out!"

"I am on my way! Sah!"

"One more thing, Biggles!"

"Sah!"

"I can't figure out what a Limey is doing in the Army OSI. What gives?"

"Sah?"

"The accent! What's with the accent?"

"Family heirloom, sah!"

Biggles turned smartly and marched back to his desk, the South American report fogotten. Now this was something that a careerist officer could really make some progress with!

"AND DON'T FORGET THAT SOUTH AMERICAN REPORT THAT'S DUE!!!"

Biggles groaned and sat at his typewriter.

Last edited by pshrynk; 10-29-2009 at 02:21 PM.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:25 PM   #50
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
"The accent! What's with the accent?"

"Family heirloom, sah!"

sweet fuzzy squirrels on a cracker, they're sending in biggles !! this is going to get much worse before it gets any better. i can't wait.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #51
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Harv was at the door when he remembered the advice his mother always used to give him: Never leave the room without being sure you're ready to hightail it in a big hurry. He returned to the bed and grabbed his brand new pair of socks and shoved them into the grip he used as his luggage. Looking around, he satisfied himself that there was nothing unpacked. The door closed behind him.

He was pretty sure that there was going to be a ship or two from the Navy in port tonight. There had been a lot of that recently. Havana was generally a quiet little burg, if by quiet you meant loud and raucous but without a lot of English speaking going on. He was getting pretty proficient in swearing in Spanish.

If he could find a game, he knew that he could skin a few navvies of their shore leave pay. He avoided the Marines, mostly because peace was their profession and killing people was more of a hobby. Nothing like a maddened Marine to make the evening both interesting and short.

He sauntered down the boulevard toward the docks, where the Navvies hung out. He was getting good at sauntering. In fact, he was thinking of entering some competitions.

There was a new bar in town, Rick's Cafe Americain. Some sort of franchise. He walked through the swinging doors. A man in a white tuxedo yelled at him, "I don't want your kind in here! Get out!" Harv waved jauntily at the proprietor and continued his saunter past the ska band that was the evening's entertainment. Harv sort of liked ska, it had a rhythm.

In the back of the lounge, there was a table filled with serious looking men drinking serious looking fluids from serious looking glasses. Harv pulled up a chair and said, "What's the buy-in tonight, boys?"
Old 06-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #52
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
He avoided the Marines, mostly because peace was their profession and killing people was more of a hobby. Nothing like a maddened Marine to make the evening both interesting and short.

Serious men and serious drinks in serious glasses sounds like serious trouble ahead... :bites fingernails:
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #53
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
He sauntered down the boulevard toward the docks, where the Navvies hung out. He was getting good at sauntering. In fact, he was thinking of entering some competitions.
i could watch professional sauntering competitions all day.

Quote:
Harv sort of liked ska, it had a rhythm.
what now ?? who is this ? i thought this was the story of harv and vera ? this is a bad omen, something sinister will happen that will cruelly turn harv away from the wholesome and satisfying appreciation of the truly divine music that is ska, i can just feel it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
Serious men and serious drinks in serious glasses sounds like serious trouble ahead... :bites fingernails:
i'm worried too. especially since harv likes ska at the moment.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:54 AM   #54
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

i'm worried too. especially since harv likes ska at the moment.
Only sort-of likes, but still - it does suggest that something is going to happen that will foever make Harv associate ska with A Bad Event(tm)
Old 06-25-2009, 01:59 PM   #55
pshrynk

Vera held onto Vivaldi, who was trying to root around in her purse. Probably for bacon. If she jumped into the Mississippi right now, she would probably... yes, quite certainly drown. Not the top option.

"I have been trying a few... experiments... with lower forms of animal." Vivialdi growled at the Doctor. "Some of them have been... nearly successful. I have come to the conclusion that in order to make an animal more human like, one must have a rather... intelligent specimen to begin with. You puppy looks to be just about right."

"He's not for sale," said Vera, although if it came down to jumping in the river and drowning or giving up the puppy, which was starting to have a rather unusual odor, she knew which way that wind would blow.

"Ah! Not for... purchase, dear lady! Just for... improvement."

The way that Montsnmags kept hesitating before the relevant phrases in each sentence was beginning to annoy Vera. "Well, I just met him, but I wouldn't want any harm to come to him..."

"Well, not... harm, so much as... improvements. But that is not why I came out to... speak with you, my dear."

Vera backed up to the railing. The paddlewheel made an awful racket in her left ear. She glanced nervously around.

"No, I am interested in... a business venture, if you will."

Her eyes narrowed suspiciously. When you made your living by skinning marks at the poker table, you had a native distrust of anyone offering something for nothing. Or "ventures," as the case may be. "What sort of business?"

"My associate and I are on our way to Havana, Cuba to try our... 'luck' in the area there. We have... high hopes for success, given that no one there... knows us."

"How is Slick doing with the table, by the way?"

Montsnmags looked at his pocket watch and said, "By now, he owns... their underwear and gold teeth. However, since he disdains the use of... undergarments of any type, he will let them wear what they have on until they can... mail him the replacement cost from the next stop."

Last edited by pshrynk; 10-29-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:36 PM   #56
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Biggles is going to Havana, the sockes are in Harv's suitcase, and now Vera is being... invited...hesitantly and haltingly... to Havana. Is Handsome evil, or does he just have a speech impediment? Is he a veterinarian or otolaryngologist? Or maybe a stuttering gynecologist with an adventurous streak?

Does this riverboat cruise have an all-you-can-eat breakfast bar with plenty of bacon?

Will they meet Rickey Ricardo as a little boy in Havana and teach him to sing Baba Loo?

Will they become embroiled with/against communists?

Will they somehow insult Fidel Castro and thereby engender his enmity toward Americans?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #57
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD

ooooh!
Old 06-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #58
zelda_pinwheel

a business venture with montsnmags ???? well this should be interesting.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:47 AM   #59
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
...Is Handsome evil,
"Handsome" is always evil, as is "Pretty".

Quote:
or does he just have a speech impediment?
I don't hear any peechs imdepitemn at all.

Quote:
Is he a veterinarian or otolaryngologist?
Perhaps a Degree in Doctorology from the University of Woolloomooloo?

Quote:
Or maybe a stuttering gynecologist with an adventurous streak?
Ew, I don't want to go there, girlfriend.

Cheers,
Marc (Run, Vera, Run!)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 08:21 AM   #60
psockpuppet
Lefty, Hugo, and me!
psockpuppet is faster than slow light.psockpuppet is faster than slow light.psockpuppet is faster than slow light.psockpuppet is faster than slow light.psockpuppet is faster than slow light.psockpuppet is faster than slow light.psockpuppet is faster than slow light.psockpuppet is faster than slow light.psockpuppet is faster than slow light.psockpuppet is faster than slow light.psockpuppet is faster than slow light.

Device: Guttenberg Bible
"Hugo?"

"Yeah, Lefty?"

"Why did he shove us in this suitcase?"

"Contingency planning."

"He's planning a contingency?"

"No, more like planning in case a contingency happens."

"Oh. Hugo?"

"Yeah, Lefty?"

"What's a contingency?"

"It's like having the box cutter and a set of lock picks in case Nate forgets to stay home to accept the delivery and you get left on the front porch again."

"Okay. This hairbrush is poking me in the heel."

"Really? Shift places with me!"

"You're a good friend, Hugo."

"Uh-huh!"
psockpuppet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wait, what?, when_harv_met_vera