Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Combining Amazon and Audible accounts question

I'm trying to decide if I want to merge my Audible account with my Amazon account. This would be to take advantage of the immersion reading for some books and the new Whispersync for voice.

I have been with Audible since 2001 (longer than I've been with Amazon) and am a legacy member paying about $17 per month for 2 credits. I am a heavy audiobook listener (I spend great gobs of time in L.A. traffic). I mostly use a SanDisk Sansa Clip+ but I like having all the options I can get.

I'm concerned that if I combine the accounts I might lose my legacy status and have to pay more. I also feel it's more secure to keep separate accounts.

Have any of you merged the accounts and if so, have you had any problems?

I would set up a separate Audible account for the new features but haven't figured out how.

Thanks!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:49 PM   #2
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Linking the accounts should change nothing on your Audible account. My monthly charges remained the same. I do recall some weren't pleased when all their Audible books suddenly appeared in their eink reader archives. If you have a lot of Audible books, the list gets a bit cluttered. Be sure you understand, the linking is permanent. It can't be undone.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 05:07 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Linking the accounts should change nothing on your Audible account. My monthly charges remained the same. I do recall some weren't pleased when all their Audible books suddenly appeared in their eink reader archives.
I just checked my library and see I have over 800 book parts so it would be a pain to see all that in my archives.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll keep things as is for now. Maybe someone will come up with a work-around hack.
Old 09-08-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I linked my accounts a few months ago, and haven't noticed any differences. Yes, the audible books show up on the Manage Your Kindle page on Amazon, but you can choose "ebooks" from the drop down menu to limit the list to ebooks only.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I linked my accounts a few months ago, and haven't noticed any differences. Yes, the audible books show up on the Manage Your Kindle page on Amazon, but you can choose "ebooks" from the drop down menu to limit the list to ebooks only.
They show up in the "archives" on my Kindle, too.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
I can imagine if you had hundreds of Audible books, sifting through the Archive for an ebook could be a pain. At least they have them designated "Audible." It would be better if you could sift out the Audible books if you weren't looking for one.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 12:57 AM   #7
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
... Where you can also filter by type. On my Kindle Touch, anyhow. I haven't tested it on my older Kindles yet.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:07 AM   #8
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
... Where you can also filter by type. On my Kindle Touch, anyhow. I haven't tested it on my older Kindles yet.
On my k3 I can only do by title or author.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 01:11 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The only thing I can think of is if you use an Audible app (iThing or Android) and you like using their stats section. When you change to youe Amazon login you'll lose all your stats and badges as those aren't synced anywhere (unless the newest apps with Whispersync change that).

If the email I got from Audible is accurate everyone will be forced to merge their accounts soon anyway.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:21 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
On my k3 I can only do by title or author.
I just checked mine, and you are correct. I thought maybe the 3.3 software update would add the filter, but I just updated my K3, and it still just sorts by author and title. Hopefully they'll add the filter soon. At least it does say "audible" to the left of the audible titles.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #11
fordan
fordan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I'm also a legacy plan, in my case, 5 books a month since 2000. Just merged my account yesterday, still shows me as being on the "SeriousListener" 5 books a month plan.
fordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordan View Post
I'm also a legacy plan, in my case, 5 books a month since 2000. Just merged my account yesterday, still shows me as being on the "SeriousListener" 5 books a month plan.
Thanks, that's good to know. I'm busy making sure my Audible backup is complete and liberated. Once that's done, I might merge.
Old 09-09-2012, 05:19 PM   #13
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
One other thing to watch out for: when you buy an audio book at Audible their system offers to deliver it to your Kindle by default. You do have the option to skip that but you can't just click through, or at least you have to watch what you click.

I just took Amazon/Audible up on the free offer to link a classic title between Kindle and Audible. It appears that to sync the two versions of the book you need to be reading the audiobook on something with a wireless link to Amazon in order to sync the devices. They have "apps" for Apple and Android devices for the purpose.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote