Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 08-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #1
LarsonMattr
Edge User

Desktop Ebook managing software - Calibre

Hi everyone,

I just discovered this software today - http://calibre-ebook.com/ - Calibre.

Basically, it is a software package that is community developed/open source ebook manager for your desktop. They have versions available for Windows, Mac, Linux.

I just tried it on the Linux machine today - and its pretty cool!

It lets you organize all your ebooks, and convert formats. You can then export epubs and such for your Edge device that you could load by USB thumbdrive.
A nice feature is that it can generate .epub books from RSS feeds and Newspaper websites.

- So, I had it automatically build an epub of the NYTimes and the Washington post - and it has all the top stories with a nice formatting (similar to PressDisplay format) and includes story graphics, etc.

Anyways, it already supports all the devices such as Sony's, Nook, Kindle and so on.. perhaps someone will write a plugin for it just for the eDGe? For now, if you choose Sony as your device, it seems to work pretty ok - since Sony is also another .epub reader.

-Matt

Old 08-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #2
canezila
Edge User

I agree, Matt. I run it on Linux also and love the fact it can send it to my gmail account automatically. Plus, I added several newspapers into one auto generated .epub and get that send also. Really cool.

Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
Gunnerp245
Edge User

The developer, Kovid Goyal, moderates a forum at Mobileread.com here .

Old 08-30-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
rnseby
Edge User

I love Calibre. I've been using it for my B&N Nook and Android phone. And now I'm using it on my Edge. Works AWESOME!!

I use Calibre to load the local newspaper right onto the Edge and off I go.

As far as the system working, Calibre picked up the Edge right away. I did need to Mount the Edge on the computer and then add the books into the library since Calbire drops the stuff into the download directory on the Edge. But these are little things.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
mrspaceman
Edge User

I use Calibre on the desktop as well, but got so frustrated that the eDGe library tags didn't get updated I wrote my own library.

see this thread.

andy.

Advert