Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-21-2016, 05:27 PM   #166
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
You can play the music with Google Music that's already on board. It's not the world's best player but it works okay.

I use one called Folder Player. I began using it to listen to OTR shows and audiodrama and I also use it for music.

I tried out a lot of different players and they're all full of features I don't care about and they have fancy interfaces that love to hide the few controls I use. Folder Player just plays the file I point at in the folders I tell it about and that's it. No playlists or other silly stuff.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 06:26 PM   #167
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks, Barry. I'll look for that.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 08:55 AM   #168
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
So tired of this phone draining battery over night.

It's on the tracfone network, and I just discovered, I think, why the data is always at 0. I had to go into settings and change the background data setting. Even though wifi is typically left on, I think it was just defaulting to data, using it all up, and then continuing to try to use it, draining the battery. Pure speculation, of course. My daughter hardly ever texts on it and never makes calls, she uses it for music, mostly. It shouldn't have used up any of the data (there isn't much, any way). I have a different phone coming, so I may ditch the tracfone service and see how the Moto does just as a mini tablet.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 10:06 AM   #169
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It's my mini tablet. Battery could be better. It needs charging every day but I use it alot.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:20 PM   #170
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
We got the Moto E last year and we're trying to find a SIM card to use it as a phone (at least temporarily if nothing else). We found this company:

https://tello.com/rates/pay_as_you_go

With a pay as you go that's 3 cents a minute, 1 cent for text, prepaid, never expires IF you use the phone once every 6 months (which is about right for us). HOWEVER, the Moto E doesn't seem to be supported. Looks like only Sprint phones? Anyone know anything about this sort of thing? Verizon's pay as you go plans are stupidly expensive. We really only need it as a phone for airport pickup once every 3 months.

Any ideas? Anyone know of a reasonable pay as you go that WILL work with this phone?
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 12:55 PM   #171
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

We used Straight Talk but it's $45 for one month. It is prepaid so you only have to pay that the month you plan to use it and leave unactivated the months you don't. Moto E is a GSM phone. Sprint is CDMA.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 12-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #172
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks.

T-mobile has a deal where you pay 3 bucks a month for 30 minutes. This is enough for us, but we aren't sure the Moto will work with that sim. The sim itself is on sale right now for 3 dollars.
Old 12-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #173
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
We got the Moto E last year and we're trying to find a SIM card to use it as a phone (at least temporarily if nothing else). We found this company:

https://tello.com/rates/pay_as_you_go

With a pay as you go that's 3 cents a minute, 1 cent for text, prepaid, never expires IF you use the phone once every 6 months (which is about right for us). HOWEVER, the Moto E doesn't seem to be supported. Looks like only Sprint phones? Anyone know anything about this sort of thing? Verizon's pay as you go plans are stupidly expensive. We really only need it as a phone for airport pickup once every 3 months.

Any ideas? Anyone know of a reasonable pay as you go that WILL work with this phone?
Verizon limits their prepaid phones to work only on their own service. Once the phone has been active 6 months Verizon will unlock so it can then be used on another Verizon based service, like page plus or smarttalk. I would suggest looking for a cheap ATT or Tmobile or unlocked gsm phone.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:07 PM   #174
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
Verizon limits their prepaid phones to work only on their own service. Once the phone has been active 6 months Verizon will unlock so it can then be used on another Verizon based service, like page plus or smarttalk. I would suggest looking for a cheap ATT or Tmobile or unlocked gsm phone.
No the Moto E is not locked at all. Verizon does not lock their GSM LTE phones.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Old 12-19-2016, 08:56 PM   #175
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
No the Moto E is not locked at all. Verizon does not lock their GSM LTE phones.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Maybe I've fallen behind the times on Verizon adding gsm bands. It sounds like there's still some hoops to jump through to get the phone working with a gsm sim
http://www.android.gs/sim-unlock-verizon-moto-e-2015/
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:05 PM   #176
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
Maybe I've fallen behind the times on Verizon adding gsm bands. It sounds like there's still some hoops to jump through to get the phone working with a gsm sim
http://www.android.gs/sim-unlock-verizon-moto-e-2015/
Yes there are a few hoops and settings needed last I checked for AT&T but not with Straight Talk. You just put the sim in and turn it on.

Sent from my XT1528
Old 12-20-2016, 01:35 PM   #177
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider

We got a t-mobile sim and it looks like it will work (it's on the network, but we haven't activated it yet). We don't need another phone until sometime next month. If it works okay, it will only be 3 dollars a month. The sim was 2.99 at best buy. There's only 30 minutes a month, but for emergencies and airport pickup it will be fine.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:56 PM   #178
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Ours has a tracfone sim in it. Works fine, I don't know how much I paid but the account is good through April and has over 2,000 texts remaining. My daughter doesn't use it much!

ETA: changing the "background data" setting has fixed the battery drain issue of this phone. So if anyone uses tracfone, keep that in mind.

Last edited by booklover6; 12-22-2016 at 08:29 AM.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote