Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-03-2011, 02:06 AM   #1
arfarf624
arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.arfarf624 got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle 3 (ads)
Need help obtaining a amazon kindle, international version

My relatives(not in the US or UK) want a kindle.
I live in the US.
They do not want to pay import taxes if they had bought it from amazon internationally.
I will be seeing my relatives later this month.
Is it possible to buy a international version of the kindle in the US, so I can bring it back to my relatives w/out taxes?
What is boils down to is: does your shipping address determine what version of the kindle you get(US, UK, International)?

thanks ahead of time
arfarf624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:36 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There is no "international version" of the Kindle. The only difference between a Kindle sold in the US and elsewhere is the SIM card of the 3G version (AT&T in the US, Vodafone elsewhere) but that makes no difference to the end user.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 02:53 AM   #3
Lozh
Lozh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have an international WiFi Kindle, but I am in Australia. I purchased mine a few months ago and didn't have to pay any import tax. It may depend on which country you are in as to which device you get though...
Lozh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
fordan
fordan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There is no "international version" of the Kindle. The only difference between a Kindle sold in the US and elsewhere is the SIM card of the 3G version (AT&T in the US, Vodafone elsewhere) but that makes no difference to the end user.
Well, minor detail that isn't applicable if you're buying new, but if you decide to purchase a used Kindle, the Kindle 1 was US-only and the Kindle 2 early on was US-only as well since it used Sprint's CMDA network, although later versions switched to GSM and can be used overseas.
fordan is offline   Reply With Quote