Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
exjimmy
exjimmy began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
linux server Mac GUI

I'm new to Calibre as of about 1 hr ago so bear with me .....

I have setup the calibre-server on a Linux box and have it running os a daemon
I have the GUI running on a mac pointing to the linux library with an afp share.

It all works fine connection wise and I can add books and meta no problem.

My question is, will this work or have I missed something. I worried about things like DB locks and indexes.

I do not want to run X on the linux box all the time and also found the linux GUI was not as good at collecting metadata as the Mac version (did not try to tweak it at all, so that is probably just me :-).
exjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:54 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by exjimmy View Post
I'm new to Calibre as of about 1 hr ago so bear with me .....

I have setup the calibre-server on a Linux box and have it running os a daemon
I have the GUI running on a mac pointing to the linux library with an afp share.

It all works fine connection wise and I can add books and meta no problem.

My question is, will this work or have I missed something. I worried about things like DB locks and indexes.

I do not want to run X on the linux box all the time and also found the linux GUI was not as good at collecting metadata as the Mac version (did not try to tweak it at all, so that is probably just me :-).
It is just you
Calibre is built from the same code, so other than OS efficiencies, they should work the same.

Calibre was not designed for Client-server operation, so ONLY one user should connect to the database/library at a time

Moderator Notice
Moved to Library Managment. This is not a Device issue

Last edited by theducks; 04-08-2011 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Moved
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
exjimmy
exjimmy began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
re: linux server Mac GUI

Quote:
It is just you
I suspected that :-) probably a firewall or keychain issue

Quote:
Calibre was not designed for Client-server operation, so ONLY one user should connect to the database/library at a time
Ok, all my clients will be accessing the database through Stanza on whatever platform. There will be only one person updating/modifying the library using the GUI. Will that cause a problem If so, we could close off network access while they were updating the database, but I would prefer not to have to do that.

Quote:
Moved to Library Managment. This is not a Device issue
Thanks, sorry about that
exjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by exjimmy View Post
I suspected that :-) probably a firewall or keychain issue

Ok, all my clients will be accessing the database through Stanza on whatever platform. There will be only one person updating/modifying the library using the GUI. Will that cause a problem If so, we could close off network access while they were updating the database, but I would prefer not to have to do that.

Thanks, sorry about that
I think you will be OK with Stanza and the content server .
I will leave the confirmation to someone wo uses that configuration (I use a hard-wire connection to my PEz )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
linux, mac os x, server