Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-17-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
superChuck
superChuck began at the beginning.

Device: none
external links on Kindle

I've created a couple of Kindle books and have set up links for table of contents. But now I'm wondering if it's possible to have an external link in a Kindle html file. Like if I wanted to have a link to a regular website that had nothing to do with Kindle. Is it possible to use an a href for that also? Anyone with experience with this?

Thanks,
superChuck
superChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
AFAIR, external href's in a TXT/HTML/Mobi book *will* launch the browser. (K2 & K3).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I created a "home" page for my Blackberry's browser that has a whole series of favorite links. I sent that html page to my K3 and if I open it as a BOOK and click on a link, it does open the browser and then the link.

What I have still not figured out is how to link to an internal html file, using a:

file:///C:/Users/f2/Desktop/Blackberry/Blackberry-Icons.html

type reference where obviously c:/users..... would be a location on the kindle's drive. I can't get the reference correct.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@FF2: Try a relative URI? I seem to remember reading that the K3 browser didn't handle the file:// protocol though.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
pizda
Enthusiast
pizda began at the beginning.

Device: kindle, iPad
Kindle uses Linux. Location on usb would be
file://mnt/us/documents/something.htm
pizda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizda View Post
Kindle uses Linux. Location on usb would be
file://mnt/us/documents/something.htm
That doesn't work for a K3. The new WebKit browser engine is missing the file: URI type.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote