Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 08-04-2003, 02:40 AM   #1
JT45
JT45 began at the beginning.

Device: Zire 71
Good map(ping) app?

Sorry "map" is too short for the forum to do a search on.

Even better if it can give you driving directions like mapquest. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:23 PM   #2
sfringer
sfringer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie T615C
Delorme's XMap Handheld isn't bad. It requires interaction with a desktop system to get the maps installed; but it does handle some basic routing on the handheld. I've got an older Clie (T615C) so it's pretty slow on my device, but still usable for the little stuff. When combined with the desktop app, you can create both the maps, and the route info (turn-by-turn directions) and send them to the handheld for use away from the computer. Not feasible to load the entire US map onto your handheld, so you need to prep for where you'll be going.

They don't have a demo available. But some useful info at their website (http://www.delorme.com)

On my older Palm IIIx I used to use Rand McNally's Streetfinder; but it didn't support route creation on the handheld. Everything had to be prepped on the desktop and exported to the handheld. It worked great with their Palm GPS unit, but if you needed something you hadn't planned prior to leaving, there was no on-the-fly route creation. There's anewer version out, I believe, but I haven't looked at it.

Hope this has been somewhat helpful,

Scott
Advert
Old 08-07-2003, 02:09 PM   #3
johnsoax
Connoisseur
johnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it isjohnsoax knows what time it is

Device: TT3(Home)&Dell x50(Work)
You should check out Mapopolis ( www.mapopolis.com ). I use it along with a Rand McNally Streetfinder GPS on my Handera for maps. It can also be used alone. The platnum maps will allow you to get street directions like mapquest.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:03 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Another US-based mapping app:

http://www.deluxeware.com/Navigator.htm

Only info, no download yet.