Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-26-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Why So Many Newby Writers Without a Device

I make a habit of dropping a line of welcome to all newcomers to MR. But something's been puzzling me for months:

Why do so many self-publishing e-authors introduce themselves here to promote their ebooks when hardly any actually own an ebook-dedicated reading device?

Time and time again a new ebook-plugger will come along and his or her listing for 'device' reads 'none'. I always say a polite hello, but it's starting to peeve me to do so. I find it a tad insulting to members of the MR community who've invested good money to read the kind of stuff these folks aim to peddle and take such pains to advise each other on how to improve their e-reading experience.

Some well-established and admirable Knights of the Forums even lovingly prepare classics and public domain titles for the library here. No fanfares. Just generosity, outstanding, painstaking technical creation and sheer interest in their fellow e-reading brothers and sisters.

If you're in the business of selling cars, you'd hardly advertise the fact that you don't use one yourself and prefer to take a bus or ride a pushbike. So why so many new wannabe authors exploiting the ebook-reading market here with no reading devices of their own?

Apologies for the rant, lads and lassies. Bestests. Neil

Last edited by neilmarr; 07-26-2011 at 09:32 AM.
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Maybe they're too busy writing to read?

Seriously, I hadn't noticed but it does seem strange.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Why do so many self-publishing e-authors introduce themselves here to promote their ebooks when hardly any actually own an ebook-dedicated reading device?
Isn't it obvious? It's because most of them don't give a damn about becoming a useful member of this community. They're just spammers after a bit of free advertising.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Exactly my feeling, Harry. I was reluctant to express it in such strong terms because I'm sure some do have good intentions. But it does smack of spam and abuse of the community. Neil
Old 07-26-2011, 09:41 AM   #5
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Isn't it obvious? It's because most of them don't give a damn about becoming a useful member of this community. They're just spammers after a bit of free advertising.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Tell him what he's won...
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr

You have noticed the growing trend then, HIMS. I first spotted it soon after Christmas which was something of a tipping time for ebooks with everyone wanting to jump on the band wagon, but it seems becoming more and more frequent that an self-publishing and self-promoting ebook 'author' has never actually read an ebook and has no intention of doing so. Neil
Old 07-26-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Everyone thinks social media is the way to your audience and it is, but you need to do it properly. Just saying hi, check out my book is a sure way of making me ignore it for the most part.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:02 AM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
+ 1 totally agree, tell them like it is Harry.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
There's a few I wish would take more of a part, even if it's only in the writer group, but I can sort of understand why they don't. Maybe you should put some sort of minimum post limit before they can use the advertising group if it's a problem. The ones you should really do something about are the ones that bump their adverts every few days and never post anything else.

Or maybe you could sticky the adverts from regular contributors
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:06 AM   #10
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
It's possible they might be reading using apps on their phones. I know someone who has a book review blog and for the longest time she read ebooks on her laptop. Now she uses her iTouch. She doesn't have a dedicated eReader, but that doesn't stop her from enjoying ebooks.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #11
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Ah yeah. What Harry said.
My favorites are the ones who join in to post "Well, I really don't want to buy an eReader .... I like to read real books."

Because as we all know, there is no faster path to financial success than insulting your market within the first day or two of introducing yourself to them.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #12
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Neil's too polite about this trend. I think Harry's dead on the money. And I think our members are, in general, smart enough to spot it and act appropriately.

Community is important, and we need to do all we can to support the community and it's real members. The spammers, OTOH, get what they deserve.

Charlie. (who's off to buy an omnibus from BeWrite)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #13
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, what Harry said.

Except that I don't list a device either, out of pure choice. One of them is a Kindle, but I hated the extreme anti-Kindle and pro-Kindle views that were eating many of the forums and eclipsing anything I had to say. So I removed my devices and stopped visiting MR for a while. And I don't ever intend to list devices again.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #14
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
Maybe they're too busy writing to read?

Seriously, I hadn't noticed but it does seem strange.

If they're too busy writing to read, then they shouldn't be writing. Do filmmakers not watch movies? Of course not. Do advertisers not study other folks' ads? Of course not.

Part of a writer's job is to read, both inside and outside of their genre. It's part of what keeps us in touch with our craft. Artists should consume their art as much as they produce it, otherwise they lose the appreciation for what they do and lose touch with the experiences they're attempting to give to their audiences.

This said, to the issue of e-published authors not having dedicated e-reading devices...my only explanation is that they've decided to epub in the hopes of making money (thanks in no small part to the success of folks like John Locke and J.A. Konrath) rather than any actual desire to see more titles available on ereading devices. It's cheaper to publish electronically than it is to have your paperback/hardcover book printed.

Many of these people, of course, are likely to be the people pricing their ebooks in line with the Big Six publishing companies (unless they've been consuming blogs on the subject, in which case they may have wised up to the more attractive pricing structure of keeping books within the $2-5 sweet spot).

For my part, I'd like to read my own work on my Kobo. I'm sure there are a few more folks out there like me, but apparently not as many as we could hope, huh?
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #15
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
What bugs me even more is the people who come, spam their stuff, and never participate otherwise. Ok, maybe you dont have an ereader now, but are interested in ebooks and read on your iphone, but if you go to a place to advertise shamelessly, at least participate in the community.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote