Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-15-2014, 02:49 PM   #1
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Pop-up endnotes

Is there someplace that shows the coding for pop-up endnotes?
Thanks
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:29 AM   #2
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
You mean on the iPad? I don't think so anyhow, you can use CSS to style them as you like but they cannot be 100% styled the way you like, Apple put some limitations on the color and size on the footnotes
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2014, 06:39 AM   #3
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Pop-up endnotes on kindle

I have a copy of "Killing Jesus" by Bill O'Reily on my Paperwhite. Kindle all the way.

Endnotes (or whatever) appear in a smaller window centered over the book display. This window is scrollable and has full windows control.

This seems an ideal way to display endnotes without changing the basic display.

I just haven't figured how it was done.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:42 AM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
I think it is done with JavaScript, but precisely how I don't know.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:09 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Popup footnotes on the Paperwhite usually "just work" as long as you code your foot|end notes in a standard--very basic way in your source epub. Of course they're only going to work with the newer KF8 format, and you will probably have to use kindlegen/previewer to build the kindlebook. I could be wrong about the kindlegen/previewer part, though, as I believe the pop-up note (non-epub3 "aside" variety) is more of a heuristic feature/function of the Paperwhite device than anything.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-16-2014 at 07:56 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2014, 08:04 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by odedta View Post
You mean on the iPad? I don't think so anyhow, you can use CSS to style them as you like but they cannot be 100% styled the way you like, Apple put some limitations on the color and size on the footnotes
AFAIK, iPads partially support ePub3 and popup footnotes using epub:type="footnote". For more information see the Liz Castro's blog.

Kindle Paperwhites heuristically detect footnotes. For more information see this thread.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #7
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

If anyone is interested in the Javascript that's supposed to create the pop-up aside, I started working on the desing and the Javascript to make it work though I didn't finish because I thought it will work only for the iPad which already has that functionality, now that I see it can work on Kindle as well i'll post the HTML with all the data. The JS is incomplete.

Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<head>
  <title>URI test</title>
  <link href="../Styles/stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
  <style type="text/css">
  body {
    width: 100%;
    height: 100%;
    margin: 0;
    padding: 0;
  }
  .aside {
    position: relative;
    top: 40%;
    text-align: right;
    padding: 0 5px 0 5px;
    width: 20%;
    overflow-x: hidden;
    height: auto;
    background-color: rgb(241, 238, 229);
    color: black;
    margin-left: auto;
    margin-right: auto;
    border: 2px solid rgb(168, 155, 139);
    border-radius: 10px;
    display: none;
  }
  </style>
  <script>

&lt;![CDATA[
  function init() {
      function addEvent(element, evnt, funct) {
          if (element.attachEvent) {return element.attachEvent('on' + evnt, funct); }
          return element.addEventListener(evnt, funct, false);
      }

// example

var i = 0, linksArray = document.getElementsByTagName('a');
      for (i = 0; i &amp;lt; linksArray.length; i += 1) {
          if (linksArray.item(i).getAttribute('epub:type') === 'noteref') {addEvent(linksArray.item(i), 'click', function () {
              var x = document.getElementById(this.getAttribute('href').substring(1));
  			x.className = "aside";
  			x.style.display = "block";
          });
              }

}
  }
  function alert()
  {
   document.getElementsByTagName('p').style.display="none";
  }
  ]]&gt;
  </script>
</head>

<body onload="init();">

<p>he symbol for the British pound, a unit of currency.<a href="#n1" epubU0003Atype="noteref">1</a></p>

<p onlick="alert()">CLICK ON ME</p>

<aside id="n1" epubU0003Atype="footnote">

<p>These have been corrected in this EPUB3 edition.</p>

</aside>

</body>

</html>
Old 06-16-2014, 09:53 AM   #8
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If anyone is interested in the Javascript that's supposed to create the pop-up aside, I started working on the desing and the Javascript to make it work though I didn't finish because I thought it will work only for the iPad which already has that functionality, now that I see it can work on Kindle as well i'll post the HTML with all the data. The JS is incomplete.
AFAIK, eInk Kindles don't support Javascript at all. Did you test this on a Kindle Fire with an Android (Kindle) app or with an iOS Kindle app?
Old 06-16-2014, 09:54 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't think you need to do anything special to make inline pop-up notes work on the ONE kindle device (PaperWhite) capable of displaying them.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-16-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:15 AM   #10
odedta
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
AFAIK, eInk Kindles don't support Javascript at all. Did you test this on a Kindle Fire with an Android (Kindle) app or with an iOS Kindle app?
I was going for Calibre/iPad tests mostly, I didn't even know these apps existed when I made these JS tests about 6 months ago.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:31 AM   #11
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I was going for Calibre/iPad tests mostly, I didn't even know these apps existed when I made these JS tests about 6 months ago.
Calibre is not suitable for Kindle eBook tests, because it supports features that the actual devices (and apps) don't support.
You might want to tests books with Kindle Previewer or at least a current Kindle app before claiming that your Javascript script works with Kindles, too.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:39 AM   #12
odedta
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Calibre is not suitable for Kindle eBook tests, because it supports features that the actual devices (and apps) don't support.
You might want to tests books with Kindle Previewer or at least a current Kindle app before claiming that your Javascript script works with Kindles, too.
Oh, but I never said it did work, I was merely posting what I had made so far for people to continue developing if they are interested, I currently don't have the time to do this as I will be going to a 3 months trip in India this week
Old 06-16-2014, 11:14 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
now that I see it can work on Kindle as well i'll post the HTML with all the data.
Quote:
Oh, but I never said it did work, I was merely posting what I had made so far for people to continue developing if they are interested
Umm...
Old 06-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #14
odedta
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Umm...
Why did you not quote me all the way to the end???

Here is the last part you left out:
Quote:
The JS is incomplete.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:04 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Because I only quoted the part that was relevant to my point. The fact that your JS is incomplete has no bearing on whether or not it can work on a Kindle (nor on whether you implied with your post that it COULD and then later recanted).

My point was that you said it CAN work on a kindle and then later said you DIDN'T say it could. I find that confusing and/or contradictory: hence the confused emoticon.