Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 04:22 AM   #31
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsbloke View Post
The Nook is just not very good as a book reader, what most people want it for.
Battery life is very poor
Buttons crack all the time
The return and fail rate is alarming.
Even the USB connection is non standard, so you can't charge it from many 3rd party USB power sources.
Battery life: I get 4 to 5 days. That is long enough for me. A lot of people charge there mobile phone everyday. So for most people 4 to 5 days should be good enough.

Cracked buttons: Only a problem with the first series of Nook. New Nooks use other plastic that does not crack. Only a small number of the first series have this problem, B&N does exchange those readers for another one.

Return and fail rate: I have no idea.
Because the Nook is not tied to one store, and uses Wifi, it is a much more complex device. People do not read the manual. Do not understand their home Wifi. And do not understand Adobe Digital Editions. A lot of returned Nooks are probably working fine, but the enduser does not understand the device.
When the Wifi Kindle is released, I predict you will see a lot of complaints and questions on the Kindle board because users cannot get the connection working.

USB connection: This is a standard micro USB connection. This will become the universal mobile phone charger standard for Europe. Several people at the B&N board are using USB battery packs without a problem. And other chargers do also work without a problem.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:00 AM   #32
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur
sarahsbloke began at the beginning.

Device: Original Nook, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Battery life: I get 4 to 5 days. That is long enough for me. A lot of people charge there mobile phone everyday. So for most people 4 to 5 days should be good enough.
You get 120hrs of use from your Nook, I don't believe it.

Now if you were to claim you had to charge it every 5 days, even when you didn't use it at all ....... that would be different and more realistic.
My Nook also lasts 5 days on standby.
sarahsbloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 06:15 AM   #33
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
You get 120hrs of use from your Nook, I don't believe it.

Now if you were to claim you had to charge it every 5 days, even when you didn't use it at all ....... that would be different and more realistic.
My Nook also lasts 5 days on standby.
Reading several hours a day, and letting it sleep the rest of the time, I have to charge the Nook every 4 to 5 days.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:36 AM   #34
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
Reading several hours a day, and letting it sleep the rest of the time, I have to charge the Nook every 4 to 5 days.
So really your battery lasts 10 hours
Old 08-16-2010, 08:54 AM   #35
mfaine
Member Retired
mfaine began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellimak View Post
Nope, I never even considered that the casing might be distracting until you mentioned it. The LCD hasn't been a problem either. You can adjust the brightness of the touchscreen as well as the timer for the touchscreen if you have any issues with it. I've used my nook pretty much exclusively for reading since I got it in January (usually at least two hours a day, often much more) and I haven't had any eyestrain issues.

The only problem I had with it was when the right page turn button cracked, but I was sent a replacement within two days of my complaint.
Ditto
mfaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #36
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
The main problem with the Nook is that it is already a failed device.
Amazon and the Kindle have trashed it.
Kindle is better product and cheaper.

Even the USB connection is non standard, so you can't charge it from many 3rd party USB power sources.

I own a Nook, I don't own a Kindle, but that's because I like to fool around with the OS.
That won't sell many Nooks.

My prediction, B&N won't be selling Nooks in 6 months.

For such a "failed" product, Amazon sure has been reacting to it on multiple aspects:

Nook lower's price
Kindle lowers price 3 hours later

Nook comes out with a Wi Fi only device
Kindle comes out with a Wi Fi only device 2 months later

Nook is Universally praised for it's screen contrast and in many's opinion the best in the game.
Kindle improves it's Contrast

Nook is universally praised for it's sleak and clean design
Kindle cleans up the mess of of it's hardware interface to make it more sleaker and FINALLY ditches that stubby joystick and replaces it with a directional pad, (not exactly making leap years in tech navigation, but it is better looking)

so for such a poor miserably failing product, Amazon sure does keep it's eye on it

but just an FYI, company's don't react, especially on price reductions, to products that aren't competing and are failing and not competing well. think of it like this.
Do you think Amazon would respond to Aluratek?

Last edited by boswd; 08-16-2010 at 02:35 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:39 PM   #37
kilmar
Connoisseur
kilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enoughkilmar will become famous soon enough

Device: nook color, nook, Sony PRS-700
Quote:
Battery life is very poor - Sort of true, compared to OTHER ebook devices. Mine lasts about a week before needing to charge, and it's fine for me. Considering my Blackberry and other mobile devices need to be charged EVERY DAY...
Buttons crack all the time - Not sure where you get "all the time". The issue is that only people with issues complain, and they usually complain often enough so everything thinks it's common. Not saying it's not, but no one has given a percentage of button cracking.
The return and fail rate is alarming. - Any documented proof of this other than the people complaining on a board?
Even the USB connection is non standard, so you can't charge it from many 3rd party USB power sources. - I use either my Blackberry 9700 charger or my Samsung i8910 mobile phone charger to charge the nook fine. In fact, I can use my nook charger for either device. It's a standard microusb connector which (surprise!) is also used on the Kindle 2.

Oh, and back to OP's question, I never noticed it. But reading about it now, I'm sure I will .

Last edited by kilmar; 08-16-2010 at 02:44 PM.
kilmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #38
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilmar View Post
Battery life is very poor - Sort of true, compared to OTHER ebook devices. Mine lasts about a week before needing to charge, and it's fine for me. Considering my Blackberry and other mobile devices need to be charged EVERY DAY...
Buttons crack all the time - Not sure where you get "all the time". The issue is that only people with issues complain, and they usually complain often enough so everything thinks it's common. Not saying it's not, but no one has given a percentage of button cracking.
The return and fail rate is alarming. - Any documented proof of this other than the people complaining on a board?
Even the USB connection is non standard, so you can't charge it from many 3rd party USB power sources. - I use either my Blackberry 9700 charger or my Samsung i8910 mobile phone charger to charge the nook fine. In fact, I can use my nook charger for either device. It's a standard microusb connector which (surprise!) is also used on the Kindle 2.

Oh, and back to OP's question, I never noticed it. But reading about it now, I'm sure I will .

yeah I had to laugh at the usb comment made by sarahsbloke, it's a usb mini to usb, you can pick one up at any radio shack, best buy and even walmart

Last edited by boswd; 08-16-2010 at 09:22 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:18 PM   #39
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
3-4 days = 72-96hrs .... mine lasts about 8hrs or 1/3 day or 1000 page turns with wifi switched off. Not good enough for a long flight or coach trip. I would be happy if it lasted 24hrs.

Try charging it from a USB battery pack or a USB car lighter charger or a random USB mobile phone charger .... see what happens!
Not everyone wants to carry a laptop when travelling around the world.
Works fine. Got a few of those kind of gadgets around.

I think your nook has issues. The only time I managed to drain the battery most of the way down in 3-4 hours was when I spent the whole time surfing the B&N store, when I first got it.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 01:09 AM   #40
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur

I asked a few questions in the Kindle forum area
Most Nook owners claim 8-12 hrs reading time
The Kindle owners seem to claim 24-28hrs reading time

Go into and B&N bookstore and ask them to replace your broken Nook, they don't seem to think that is an unusual request, or even check to see if its broken.

I bought an item advertising 10 days use on a single charge... they lied.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:41 AM   #41
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
Quote:
If someone could answer in page turns or continuous hours of reading.
All the Nook owners seem to lie about how long the Nook lasts

I've estimated 10 hours use or 1000 page turns for a Nook battery
Or 5 days of non use and the battery goes flat anyway.

So how about the Kindle
ALL is a generalization which you freely applied to every Nook owner including youself, who according to your own statement, seem to lie about how long your Nook lasts.

It is too bad that your nook's battery is not per what you thought was advertized. There are, however, some owners claim that their batteries last much longer. Since they are different from your experience, you choose not to believe them. Conversely, why do you expect others to believe your experience then?
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:57 AM   #42
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur

Sorry .... "some" not "all", "mislead" not "lie"
Apologies to everyone.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:34 PM   #43
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I asked a few questions in the Kindle forum area
Most Nook owners claim 8-12 hrs reading time
The Kindle owners seem to claim 24-28hrs reading time

Go into and B&N bookstore and ask them to replace your broken Nook, they don't seem to think that is an unusual request, or even check to see if its broken.

I bought an item advertising 10 days use on a single charge... they lied.
If you look at the nook thread about how long your charge lasts, most people say in that thread, about 4 days, I would say - On average 3-5 days. The going generalization IMO is that it gets about half of the battery life of the kindle.

8-12 hours is totally wrong. I read 2.5 pages a minute or so...on the Nook that's more like 3-5 page turns a minute. I've never gotten less than 12 hours unless I was surfing B&N.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 08-17-2010 at 03:36 PM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 03:42 PM   #44
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
At this point I'm thinking "So what?". You want a Kindle, get a Kindle. You want a Nook, get a Nook. I charge my iPhone every afternoon and leave it charging overnight every night. unless you live somewhere where electricity is not on 24 hours, battery life may be a consideration. I know; I lived in such a place.

However, most of us live where electricity is plentiful. Does battery life merit a lot of consideration in choosing a reader? Not for me.

Just my two cents. You are witnessing the emergence of a curmudgeon.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:44 PM   #45
sarahsbloke
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
However, most of us live where electricity is plentiful. Does battery life merit a lot of consideration in choosing a reader? Not for me.
If battery life is not a consideration in choosing a reader, why do B&N not advertise the Nook with a battery that provides 12 hours of reading time?

It's monsoon where I live, electricity often out for days, nothing to do except read and make babies!

Last edited by sarahsbloke; 08-17-2010 at 11:46 PM.