Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505
How to clean lightwedge

Hi everyone,

Last week I picked up the integrated lightwedge/cover for the 505. Generally, I love it. However, I've noticed that the acrylic wedge seems to pick up tiny pieces of debris (like maybe it has a bit of electrostatic charge). It's not horrible, but it does bother me while I'm reading. Usually, the spots wipe right off, but oftentimes the wiping leaves a streak or spot on the wedge. I was wondering what folks use to clean it? I'm hesitant to try anything stronger than water for fear of damaging it.

Thanks!
Joanne
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well, assuming that it's pretty much the same as the "official" lightwedges (I dunno if it is or isn't), the FAQ on cleaning it might be helpful:
Quote:
What is the best way to clean/care for my LightWedge?
Take care of your LightWedge as you would any other quality optical equipment, such as eyeglasses. We recommend that you remove any large particles first and then lightly buff the lens with a soft, micro-fiber cloth and lens cleaner, such as our LightWedge Lens Care Kit, when it appears dirty. Storing your LightWedge in a closed book, or a LightWedge Soft Case with a micro fiber lining, is also a great way to protect the lens from scratches and dust.
Wading through their product plugs, it looks like eyeglass cleaner and a microfiber cloth are the best bet.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2008, 12:06 PM   #3
PsyDocJoanne
Loves her 505 and her Z4!
PsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enoughPsyDocJoanne will become famous soon enough

Hi NatCh,

Thanks! I did see the cleaning instructions for the branded Lightwedge products, but I wasn't sure if it was the same company that makes the one for Sony. I don't think it would be crazy to assume that even if it's another manufacturer, it's probably similar technology and composition, but you know what they say about assuming...
PsyDocJoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know that it's the same company either -- nobody's said anything to that effect. But I'd hope the material would be pretty similar, at least. And since LightWedge holds a pretty broad patent on the design, it's not all that big an assumption that they're involved at some level. I do know, for instance, that Sony tried to get them involved back in '06 when the 500 initially launched. They weren't interested in making the investment to design something specific then because they were cautious about how these new-fangled contraptions might work out. They are the same folks who make the clip-on light that Sony still sells.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I don't know that it's the same company either -- nobody's said anything to that effect.
I thought I read somewhere that it was a collaboration between LightWedge and Sony. But I can't find it now, of course.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2008, 12:32 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I thought I read somewhere that it was a collaboration between LightWedge and Sony. But I can't find it now, of course.
If you do find it, I'd dearly love to see it -- I do think that's the case, but I haven't been able to substantiate it.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #7
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
I just clean mine with a quick 'huff' on the wedge and polish with a glasses cloth, works a treat.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
jedavis1
Zealot
jedavis1 doesn't litterjedavis1 doesn't litter

That is what I tried to ask. Although, my problem wasn't with dust, but smudges that were on it when I bought it.
jedavis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 10:14 PM   #9
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
I was given a bunch of pre-moistened lens cleaning wipes at the optometrist last time I went and find these work great for cleaning up the wedge.
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:03 PM   #10
kevinofengland
Connoisseur
kevinofengland began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Light Wedge Shadow?

Has anyone noticed a shadow on light wedge?

Last edited by kevinofengland; 10-03-2008 at 03:49 PM.
kevinofengland is offline   Reply With Quote