Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-21-2011, 03:10 PM   #1
JJToner
Ben Jordan eBooks author
JJToner began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Problem with Save to Disk

I used Calibre to create a .MOBI version of my book and saved it to disk in My Kindle Content. Checked it using Kindle-for-PC, It was perfect. The next day, I uploaded the latest version of Calibre (0.8.15) and made a minor change to my book (I changed 3 digits in the ISBN). Starting from scratch, I removed the book from Calibre's library and deleted the previous saved files from my disk. I reconverted. Using calibre's "View" facility, the new ISBN was in place, but when I saved to disk, the .MOBI file on My Kindle Content is the old version.

I repeated the whole exercise 15-20 times, but always with the same result.

I think this must be a bug in Calibre 0.8.15

Kovid?
Anybody?
JJToner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJToner View Post
I reconverted. Using calibre's "View" facility, the new ISBN was in place, but when I saved to disk, the .MOBI file on My Kindle Content is the old version.

I repeated the whole exercise 15-20 times, but always with the same result.

I think this must be a bug in Calibre 0.8.15
Kindle 4 PC might be caching the book (especially if it is left open in K4PC.) Try the following:
  • Go to Kindle 4 PC and close the book.
  • In K4PC's library view right click on the book and delete the old book from the K4PC library.
  • Exit Kindle 4 PC
  • Ensure the book is deleted from My Kindle Content
  • Save the new version to disk.
  • Start Kindle 4 PC
  • Hit f5, view book.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 03:14 AM   #3
JJToner
Ben Jordan eBooks author

Thanks for that reply dwanthny, but I thought of that. I tried rebooting to clear the cache and deleted all my cookies for good measure. In each case, when I recreated the .Mobi file (and the other 3) from Calibre, the file properties (date/time) were correct. I then accessed Kindle-for-PC by double-clicking the newly created .mobi file.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:37 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
TI then accessed Kindle-for-PC by double-clicking the newly created .mobi file.
Double-clicking the book you exported from calibre using the Save to disk feature?

Or

Double-clicking the file inside the calibre library?

If the the former than the ISBN metadata will have been updated. If the later then the ISBN will not have been updated. The only way to get the metadata of a file updated is to do a full conversion on the ebook or export the file from the library using one of the below features:

Save to Disk
Send to Device
Connect to folder

Dragging/copying the book from the library folder to the My Kindle content folder will not update the metadata in the book.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
JJToner
Ben Jordan eBooks author

I go to My documents>My Kindle Content and double-click the file.

I always use Calibre's Save to Disk feature. This is what is not working in version 0.8.15

I've never used dragging/copying.

I've done this process 100 times in the past for my other 2 books without any difficulty. This is defintely a bug in v 0.8.15

Thanks again.
Advert
Old 08-22-2011, 07:05 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I've done this process 100 times in the past for my other 2 books without any difficulty. This is defintely a bug in v 0.8.15
It sounds like you have things worked out. Go here to learn how to submit a bug report.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
JJToner
Ben Jordan eBooks author

Thanks again, dwanthny. I have logged the bug. I tried to log it yesterday, but ran into a bug in launchpad !
Old 08-22-2011, 09:05 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Thanks again, dwanthny. I have logged the bug. I tried to log it yesterday, but ran into a bug in launchpad !
You can grab 0.8.14 from Sourceforge and revert to that version to verify the problem goes away and to continue your work until there is a fix.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
JJToner
Ben Jordan eBooks author

I tried that, dowloaded a file with a strange name. How do I get this into Calibre? and how can I confirm that Calibre 0.8.14 is then what I have installed?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I tried that, dowloaded a file with a strange name. How do I get this into Calibre? and how can I confirm that Calibre 0.8.14 is then what I have installed?
The lower Left corner of the Library view should have the version next to Kovid's name
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #11
JJToner
Ben Jordan eBooks author

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The lower Left corner of the Library view should have the version next to Kovid's name
This reads 0.8.3 and has done since the first download, even though I have always dowloaded all new updates under Calibre control whenever Calibre suggested it.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #12
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If that number is not correct, it could explain why you are having issues. Does the number have an asterisk after it? If so that means you are running from source and the binaries are being ignored.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #13
JJToner
Ben Jordan eBooks author

No Asterisk. As I've said earlier, I have had none of these problems with earlier versions of Calibre and umpteen conversions of earlier books. I'm sure this is a v 0.8.15 bug.

How do I move back to 0.8.14 (preferably without losing my Calibre library)?
Old 08-22-2011, 10:33 AM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
This reads 0.8.3 and has done since the first download, even though I have always dowloaded all new updates under Calibre control whenever Calibre suggested it.
It's not sufficient just to DOWNLOAD the version; you also do have to install it!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:53 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
No Asterisk. As I've said earlier, I have had none of these problems with earlier versions of Calibre and umpteen conversions of earlier books. I'm sure this is a v 0.8.15 bug.

How do I move back to 0.8.14 (preferably without losing my Calibre library)?
Uninstalling Calibre does not touch the library.

BUT...

You are not downgrading, so there is no need to uninstall before UPGRADING (Note: Upgrades are blocked if Calibre (or content server) is running) If there is a Icon in the right tool tray, you need to tap Q (for quit) when the main Library has focus, before proceeding with the upgrade.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre conversion error, save to disk