Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-03-2012, 07:42 PM   #12811
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Spin by Robert Charles Wilson.

"One night in October when he was ten years old, Tyler Dupree stood in his back yard and watched the stars go out. They all flared into brilliance at once, then disappeared, replaced by a flat, empty black barrier. He and his best friends, Jason and Diane Lawton, had seen what became known as the Big Blackout. It would shape their lives.

The effect is worldwide. The sun is now a featureless disk--a heat source, rather than an astronomical object. The moon is gone, but tides remain. Not only have the world's artificial satellites fallen out of orbit, their recovered remains are pitted and aged, as though they'd been in space far longer than their known lifespans. As Tyler, Jason, and Diane grow up, a space probe reveals a bizarre truth: The barrier is artificial, generated by huge alien artifacts. Time is passing faster outside the barrier than inside--more than a hundred million years per year on Earth. At this rate, the death throes of the sun are only about forty years in our future. "

it's fantastic and the characters are extremely well written. to quote one of it's reviews on amazon "its science fiction for people who don't like science fiction". i like science fiction and i like this book.

Last edited by xg4bx; 04-03-2012 at 07:45 PM.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #12812
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
Currently Reading:

- A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin (81%)
I'm close enough to the end of ADwD that I went ahead and read the preview chapter of the next book, The Winds of Winter. I'm all caught up on the character that chapter is about, I just wanted to find out what happens. The chapter is on GRRM's website, I converted the HTML page to an ePub a while ago and it's been sitting on my Nook.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2012, 11:12 AM   #12813
cursedxxgoddess
cursedxxgoddess began at the beginning.

Device: Phone
Thumbs up

I'm currently reading:
Grimm Reapings by R. Patrick Gates.

I would like to highly recommend: Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendra Blake. It is a 2011 Kirkus Best Teen Books of the Year title, and NpR's top 5 novels for young adults. Please read it.
cursedxxgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #12814
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
it's fantastic and the characters are extremely well written. to quote one of it's reviews on amazon "its science fiction for people who don't like science fiction". i like science fiction and i like this book.
I liked it a lot, too.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #12815
haino
Connoisseur
haino began at the beginning.

Device: none
Waiting for Sunrise by William Boyd.
An unusual book but has "gripped" me from the start. Always a good sign
Anyone else read this?
haino is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2012, 03:00 PM   #12816
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecweston View Post
I'm close enough to the end of ADwD that I went ahead and read the preview chapter of the next book, The Winds of Winter. I'm all caught up on the character that chapter is about, I just wanted to find out what happens. The chapter is on GRRM's website, I converted the HTML page to an ePub a while ago and it's been sitting on my Nook.
And a second chapter will be included in the paperback release of ADwD this summer, from what I read.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #12817
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
And a second chapter will be included in the paperback release of ADwD this summer, from what I read.
Yeah, I understand that too. I wonder if I archive my ebook of ADwD and then redownload it once it's in paperback, will the extra chapter be included? If not looks like I'll be setting foot inside a brick-and-mortar bookstore for the first time in a while.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #12818
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I have the UK paperbacks of ADwD. I guess we've got them already. It's been split into two again, here, so I get to count it as two books for my reading challenge. (Assuming I actually read them both this year.)

I didn't particularly want the paperbacks, but I have the rest of the series on paper, and I saw an offer I couldn't refuse.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #12819
tecweston
Comic book artist

Y'know, I have a shelf on my Nook called "Unread books," which doesn't include samples, and I just went through it to make sure it was up-to-date.

There are 40 books on that shelf. I really need to stay out of the "freebies and deals" forum because I add books to this device faster than I can read them.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #12820
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Mary Russell

Well I just finshed A Letter from Mary (book 3 of the Mary Russell series) and began reading The Moor (book 4). IMHO, A Letter from Mary was 1/2 notch lower on the rating scale than the Novella and the previous 2 books. But I still really enjoyed it. Onward!

Last edited by alansplace; 04-06-2012 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Oops! Fixed a mistake!.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #12821
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I've lost track of which one is which now, but at least one of them Mary Russell goes on and on about Judaica mysticism and it drags. But once you get past that one, they pick back up again.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:34 PM   #12822
tecweston
Comic book artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I've lost track of which one is which now, but at least one of them Mary Russell goes on and on about Judaica mysticism and it drags. But once you get past that one, they pick back up again.
Oh boy. The Jerusalem segment of The Beekeeper's Apprentice was the only part of the book that dragged a bit for me.

I'm looking forward to the next book in the series but I have so many Sherlock Holmes books that I bought during Kobo's Oscar discount code promo (because Sherlock Holmes books were the only non-agency books I could find), that I want to finish some of those before continuing in the Mary Russell series.

I have a couple of the Titan Books' "Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" series (The Titanic Tragedy and The Star of India), plus Chronicles of Sherlock Holmes and Time for Sherlock Holmes and one or two other novellas.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:29 AM   #12823
Cleosmom
Cleosmom began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I'm reading an older Regency novel called The Heiress Companion by Madeline Robins. I think I'm about to give up on it. I got it as my first freebie on LibraryThing, so I feel I should read the whole thing to review it. The problem is that the writer wants the book to have a Jane Austen feel, but it just doesn't, if you know what I mean. Jane Austen's books and characters aren't silly, and this book's characters and situations are silly and tedious. So should I keep reading, if I am half-way through it? Give it up because there are many more fun and interesting books to read?

I just finished reading a Robert Barr Eugene Valmont story (now that was funny). And I am trying to finish Tim Powers' Drawing of the Dark (which is okay, but I liked Anubis Gates and The Stress of Her Regard a lot more).

Cleosmom
Cleosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #12824
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool The Dresden Files

Anyone interested in The Dresden Files? If you are then come visit 'The Dresden Files ' thread located right here in Reading Recommendations!

Last edited by alansplace; 04-05-2012 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Sorry! I double posted, so I replaced one of them with this blatent ad for another thread, delete it if you like, I couldn't!
Old 04-05-2012, 12:37 AM   #12825
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Mary Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Hmmm...guess I've not yet reached that one! I hope when I do it won't make me lose my enthusiasm.