Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-06-2012, 05:17 PM   #12841
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
I just finished Of Mice and Men and since it was so good I think I'm reading The Grapes of Wrath next.
That was a great book, I read it last year. I haven't seen the movie though, in my mind the book was too short to have a full blown movie made out of it.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #12842
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Have you read The Count of Monte Cristo? Great read.
Marvellous book.

Currently reading The Princess Bride as part of our MR reading challenge, and against my expectations am rather enjoying it.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #12843
Straycat1945
Straycat1945 doesn't litterStraycat1945 doesn't litter

Device: Sony (3rd one)
If you are looking for a classic, how about East of Eden by Steinbeck. There is also a collection of his short stories which I highly recommend.
Straycat1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #12844
Straycat1945
Straycat1945 doesn't litterStraycat1945 doesn't litter

Device: Sony (3rd one)
I just started The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. I can't really comment on it yet.

Just finished Confessions of a Prairie Bitch: How I Survived Nellie Oleson and Learned to Love Being Hated by Alison Arngrim. Not what I expected at all. A very interesting, and sometimes shocking book. Very highly recommended.

Last edited by Straycat1945; 04-06-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Straycat1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #12845
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Just finished London Under by Peter Ackroyd - a short, superficial, but sweeping look at what lies under the streets of London - sewers, buried rivers, the Underground, pipes, bomb shelters, etc. Ackroyd is quite widely knowledgeable of London geography and history - this book is a companion to his London: The Biography and Thames: The Biography, among others. If you're a fan of Christopher Fowler's Peculiar Crimes Unit mystery series, reading Ackroyd's books will supplement/verify much of the arcana that Arthur Bryant keeps inflicting on his helpless partners.

P.S. And I learned the origin of the term "fornicate." Can't wait to drop that tid-bit on unsuspecting folk.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #12846
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
P.S. And I learned the origin of the term "fornicate." Can't wait to drop that tid-bit on unsuspecting folk.
I do read Fowler's books, so how about me? By the morning I'll have forgotten you mentioned it and will be completely unsuspecting .
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 06:57 PM   #12847
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Marvellous book.

Currently reading The Princess Bride as part of our MR reading challenge, and against my expectations am rather enjoying it.
That's good news. William Goldman's The Princess Bride is the MobileRead Book Club's April selection. I haven't started it yet, but if I find myself "rather enjoying it," it will be against my expectations as well.

We'll see.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #12848
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The God's Wife by Lynn Voedisch and Servant of the Gods by Valerie Douglas sound interesting from your descriptions. I've downloaded samples of both, but I have no idea when I'll get to them.
Both of those were recent kindle freebies. I am downloading whatever looks somewhat interesting and then if I get to them and don't like them, I just delete. My pile is getting very large, but I find I am liking the fun of digging through it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lila55 View Post
A couple of weeks ago I finished "The Curse of the Pharaos" by Elizabeth Peters, also taking place in Egypt for the most part. It reminds me of some Agatha Christie books and has a lovely, somewhat biting humor.
Thank you! I think I saw a bunch of her books in the used book store.

Sadly, I have set my 2012 goal to be no book purchases for 6 months and I will have to wait.

I am finding that there are a lot of unexpected nice reads in my pile of TBR and all the new freebies, though.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #12849
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
...Sadly, I have set my 2012 goal to be no book purchases for 6 months and I will have to wait. ....
That decision is very sensible and rational. Which goes a long way to explain why I could never abide by it.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #12850
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool no book purchases for 6 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
....Sadly, I have set my 2012 goal to be no book purchases for 6 months and I will have to wait.

I am finding that there are a lot of unexpected nice reads in my pile of TBR and all the new freebies, though.
....er, that's a moratorium just on paper book purchases....right....?
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #12851
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
....er, that's a moratorium just on paper book purchases....right....?

I have tried to rationalize buying a pbook by thinking I only meant it for ebooks. Then I tried to rationalize buying a ebook by thinking I only meant it for pbooks (to not add to my bookshelves). I also thought maybe if I used my gift cards it wouldn't count.

Unfortunately, I know in my heart that I really did mean _no_ money to be spent, at all, for any books, no matter what form. I tried to make my goal that way to force myself to go through my stack of pbooks and the large (and getting larger) TBR ebooks.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:15 PM   #12852
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Just finished The Sunday Philosophy Club: An Isabel Dalhousie Novel by Alexander Mccall Smith. The phrase that came to mind as best describing it is "an absorbing promenade." This book does not rush to a climax, but takes a leisurely stroll down dozens of miscellaneous side streets as Isabel Dalhousie, editor of the Review of Applied Ethics, seeks the killer of the young man she saw fall to his death. The tangents are what make this story so fascinating. Isabel is constantly reflecting upon all she hears, feels, and thinks, and weighing it in her own ethical balance.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:05 AM   #12853
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Many Steinbeck fans here Seems like I have to put a lot on TBR list. East of Eden, Cannery Row, and then the short stories collection as well. Thanks Straycat, CRussel, Alan and Bilbo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Have you read The Count of Monte Cristo? Great read.
I read it several times already, and have this love/hate relationship with that book

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
That was a great book, I read it last year. I haven't seen the movie though, in my mind the book was too short to have a full blown movie made out of it.
Yes, I didn't notice that it is only 100-page long when I began. Too short for a great story. I wanted more, hence Grapes of Wrath.

@ Orlok & WTSharpe: You won't be disappointed. It's a light read, full of humorous... well, I'll let you figure that out.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 12:57 AM   #12854
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I'm in the middle of "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair. After many, many years it's finally made it to the front lines. I confess this is NOT my usual fare...
I confess too that I'm surprised at my reactions to the book. We all have heard that this is 'the shocking story of the horrors of Chicago's stock yards, meat packing industry of the early years, and the horror stories of the lives of the immigrants who worked there." But what surprises me is that I'm not shocked! This sort of graft, corruption, and poor working conditions are still going on today, just not so much in the US. They are the fodder of everyday newspapers looking to grab readers. Child labor in Cambodia, rotten meat being sold in Indonesia, people swindled out of their homes by scheming con men...

I am enjoying the reading though, and following the lives of the characters. I'm 1/3 into the book and will certainly finish it, but I keep hoping Jack Reacher or Lucas Davenport will come to the aid of the cast. Or at the very least, Rena Lazarus will comfort the women when their children complain of no food to eat.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 06:00 AM   #12855
iSimon
iSimon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle app for iPad, iBooks app for iPad
I have just started "Lolita". Thought it was about time I found out what the fuss was about. I am a College Librarian, and just before Half Term a member of staff loaned this to read over the holiday - and said she was surprised that we stocked such a book! This struck me as rather reactionary!

I will admit that, by and large, my reading tastes leave something to be desired - mostly cozy murder mysteries! I am making a concerted effort now to read more classics and literature - something I have allowed to slip since I was younger (when I would quite happily read Hardy or Tolstoy).
iSimon is offline   Reply With Quote