Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 04:23 PM   #12781
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post

It was one of the best books I read last year.
I like the book, but I like a few changes the movie made. Fezzik is pretty stupid in the books, in the movie he isn't.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:08 PM   #12782
Straycat1945
Straycat1945 doesn't litterStraycat1945 doesn't litter

Device: Sony (3rd one)
Bill Pronzini

Bill Pronzini??? Who is Bill Pronzini?

I just finished [I]Wasteland of Strangers[I] by this author, and it was one of the best all round books I've read in a long time. The form of telling the story is new to me, but I settled in soon enough. I challenge you to figure out who the perpetrator is before the end. I was convinced I had it solved half way through; I wasn't even close.

The Amazon.com review;

Here's a fine modern mystery that would have made a wonderful 1950s B movie. Robert Mitchum would have been perfect as the hulking stranger John Faith, who arrives one day in the faded Northern California resort town of Pomo with a mysterious agenda. Who but Paul Douglas could have played the tough but fair-minded police chief? And the part of Storm Carey, the gorgeous widow feeding her grief with rampant sex, would have been a natural for Jan Sterling or Elisabeth Scott. Bill Pronzini both uses and overcomes these film noir images as he skips from voice to voice to tell a tricky, compelling story.

Highly recommended.

Denny
Straycat1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #12783
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Currently Reading:

- A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin (72%)

- Skeleton Crew by Stephen King (27%)

- The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Titanic Tragedy by William Seil (19%)

- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain (~20%) [on hold]
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:53 PM   #12784
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Straycat1945 View Post
Bill Pronzini??? Who is Bill Pronzini?

I just finished [I]Wasteland of Strangers[I] by this author, and it was one of the best all round books I've read in a long time. The form of telling the story is new to me, but I settled in soon enough. I challenge you to figure out who the perpetrator is before the end. I was convinced I had it solved half way through; I wasn't even close.

Highly recommended.

Denny
Thanks for the review. My library has a copy. Added to my TBR list. Scheduled to read in Summer of 2018
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:57 AM   #12785
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
day 3 of stopping&starting. everything i pick up just seems so trite and dumb. i don't even know what genre i'm in the mood for.

made a bit of headway into The Black Prism by Brent Weeks but the color based magic system got irritating pretty quickly and the youngster protagonist wasn't doing it any favors.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:16 AM   #12786
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am finishing Killing Floor by Lee Child. Then I will start Die Trying.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:24 AM   #12787
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
I have finished To kill a mockingbird. Brilliant.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 12:40 PM   #12788
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I finished the latest book in the Temeraire series: Crucible of Gold and got quite disappointed. It's gotten most 4 and 5 star reviews on Amazon but for me it wasn't more than 3 stars.

I concur with the following Amazon review:
Quote:
Crucible of Gold continues the saga of Captain Laurence and his dragon Temeraire. This novel lacks any gripping plot or drama for me. I found it boring, methodical and almost completely uneventful. The novelty of dragon characters has worn off by this the seventh offering in the series. Unfortunately, this story just drags on without any gripping action with the exception of a few brief scenes. Although still interesting, the development and interaction of the dragon and human characters was not enough to keep me intrigued with the story.
Another reviewer that sums it up:
Quote:
I initially looked forward to each new book in the series with much anticipation but now I feel like I read them almost as an obligation.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:24 PM   #12789
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Sadly, thinkpad, I'm afraid I agree. I've got the latest one on my Kindle, but somehow it never makes its way to the top of my TBR. I'm beginning to suspect it never will.

Finished reading Paladin of Souls , by Lois McMaster Bujold, the second in the Chalion series. I really enjoyed it, and am looking forward to reading the third in the series, which I have waiting in my TBR. But I think I'll take a break and read the new Maise Dobbs book by Jacqueline Winspear - Elegy for Eddy. This is number 9 in the series, and so far they haven't failed to please.

After Elegy for Eddy, it's time to read Harry Potter again, I think. Now that I have them in legal eBook form.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:41 PM   #12790
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Harry Potter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
....it's time to read Harry Potter again, I think. Now that I have them in legal eBook form.
I'm having trouble deciding whether to get the British versions or the American. I bought Philosopher's Stone from Pottmore instead of Sourcerer's Stone because the name change from the original (which was an important distinction, IMHO) always rubbed me the wrong way (I recently bought I bought Philosopher's Stone in hardback from an Amazon Marketplace vendor for the same reason). But since the Movie Series appears to be based on the American versions and that JKR appears to have approved of the changes and the fact that I really like Mary GrandPré's chapter heading drawings (her covers too), I'm still undecided. Well there's no hurry at least.

Last edited by alansplace; 03-31-2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: clarify
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 03:55 PM   #12791
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
day 3 of stopping&starting. everything i pick up just seems so trite and dumb. i don't even know what genre i'm in the mood for.

made a bit of headway into The Black Prism by Brent Weeks but the color based magic system got irritating pretty quickly and the youngster protagonist wasn't doing it any favors.
When I feel that way I switch to another form of entertainment usually movies. Visual stimuli instead of textual. Recently, I watched Rango because cartoon lizards are irresistible. And The Vanishing the original Dutch/French version because I wanted to yell at TV actors.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:52 PM   #12792
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I'm having trouble deciding whether to get the British versions or the American. I bought Philosopher's Stone from Pottmore instead of Sourcerer's Stone because the name change from the original (which was an important distinction, IMHO) always rubbed me the wrong way (I recently bought I bought Philosopher's Stone in hardback from an Amazon Marketplace vendor for the same reason). But since the Movie Series appears to be based on the American versions and that JKR appears to have approved of the changes and the fact that I really like Mary GrandPré's chapter heading drawings (her covers too), I'm still undecided. Well there's no hurry at least.
Ah, well, my local library has the UK versions, so that's what I went with. Simple decision.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:34 PM   #12793
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I finished the Valut. Its a good read. But, I still have to say, nothing is as good as Rouge Wave.

I think I will hit the 4 book thriller set I bought for $1.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #12794
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I've just finished Coral Glynn by Peter Cameron - and like many reviewers - I liked it very much but I'm not quite sure what I've read. Stylistically, it resembles Henry James in its concern with misunderstandings among people, lost chances for love, inhibitions, etc. There's also a mystery of sorts. And some very memorable characters.
Unlike many contemporary novels, it's staying with me - I may need to reread it soon.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:50 AM   #12795
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Agatha Christie's The Body in the Library, her 39th book.
I remembered the plot of this one from a TV adaption. I did like the book anyway - it's not just the puzzle, IMO.

Next: The Exiles Trilogy by Ben Bova. I bought this when it was on special offer recently. Let's see if it was worth it!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote