Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-15-2012, 04:40 AM   #12661
coderserdar
Groupie
coderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five wordscoderserdar can name that ebook in five words

Device: Amazon Kindle 3 Wifi, İpod Touch 4th Generation
agatha christie - parker pyne investigates

a good character and excellent short stories
coderserdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:04 AM   #12662
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderserdar View Post
agatha christie - parker pyne investigates

a good character and excellent short stories
Yes, I agree with that. I read it in June last year, and I liked it a lot. Highly recommended.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #12663
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Currently Reading:

- 20ͭͪͭͪth Century Ghosts by Joe Hill (69%)

- A Dance with Dragons by George R.R. Martin (56%)

- The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King (24%)

- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (15%)

- Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain (~20%) [on hold]
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #12664
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The Stoneholding by James G Anderson & Mark Sebanc

I bought this way back in October 2009. It seems like an interesting epic fantasy, but I'm only just past the prologue, so we shall see.
Well, for me it turned out not to be interesting. I've got about half way through it and I'm just not interested. Abandoned: Too much of an attempt to be epic, an entirely unconvincing world that seems to treat its inhabitants as puppets, and far too much back story shoved in willy-nilly.

The prologue worked OK. The first half of the book did not. I won't be bothering with any more in this series.

Next up: Captain Flandry by Poul Anderson, part of a Baen monthly bundle I bought back in October 2009 as well (but a different monthly bundle to the previous book).
Old 03-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #12665
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I finished Mark Twain, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

I started Ransom Riggs, Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:29 AM   #12666
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi Cygni View Post
just started this

So, I finished it yesterday. It was VERY VERY VERY good. Well written, interesting, thought provoking, informative and difficult to put down. I recommend it.

Made me drool on an iMac as a side effect...

Last edited by Chi Cygni; 03-16-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:49 AM   #12667
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
It's been a while since I posted here.

I'm currently reading The Venetian Betrayal by Steve Berry, the third in the Cotton Malone series. The series reminds me of the Indiana Jones films; the search for a religious or historical artifact which several groups are after. It is a nice and quick read, I'm about half way through, with good characters and not a too predictable course of events.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:25 AM   #12668
MoodRing
MoodRing
MoodRing began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have just finsihed this afternoon another book!

Its a classic dicken novel, A Tale Of Two Cities

This is a list of more publications by him. Enjoy them there are excellent reads.
MoodRing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #12669
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool The James Potter Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Last evening I finished my re-read of both James Potter and the Curse of the Gatekeeper and the associated short story Petra's Getaway which takes place in the middle of Curse of the Gatekeeper and fills in a bit of information about a character in Curse of the Gatekeeper. There's a novella, The Girl on the Dock that takes place during the Summer between Curse of the Gatekeeper and the next book in the series, James Potter and the Vault of Destinies, and I'll re-read both the novella and the novel next.
I completed my re-read of The Girl on the Dock and James Potter and the Vault of Destinies. When I completed them I then read the 47 page PDF (I made a MOBI out of it and put it in my Kindle) of James Potter and the Morrigan Web. It was released on G.Norman Lippert's blog and includes a letter to the readers explaining that this is what he's written so far and that he's decided to postpone the completion of the project for now and that it's incomplete and unedited. It gets a WOWZERS (Inspector Gadget's terminology) from me. Now on to these three in no particular order. A Perfect Blood by Kim Harrison, The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King, and Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz.

Last edited by alansplace; 03-17-2012 at 09:59 PM. Reason: fixed incorrect name
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:29 PM   #12670
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I just started to reread Tularosa by Michael McGarrity. These are Mystery novels set in modern New Mexico.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #12671
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just finished reading The Grand Design by Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow. A wonderful book, but Hawking seems to me to come across as being a bit more certain of the reality of some highly speculative matters than I expected. Highly recommended.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #12672
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Last week I finished Gallows View by Peter Robinson, the first Inspector Banks novel. I'd read many glowing recommendations for this author, so I had high hopes, but the book was just ok. All the loose ends were tied up too neatly for my taste and I wasn't attached to any of the characters. I think I've actually read one or two of his other books and not previously added him to my mental "must read" list. My library has a collection of short stories by him, which I added to my wish list, perhaps I'll give him one more try. At least I didn't hate it as much as I hate Ian Rankin's books. In this category, Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley books are favourites.

I also finished listening to The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith, which had been on my to read list for a while and I'd snagged for $4.95 in a sale on Audible. It was wonderful! Beautifully read by Lisette Lecat and I was transported to Botswana on my commute. I've been to Kenya, but strangely it reminded me more of the pace of life I'd experienced visiting my mother-in-law who lived for years on a boat in the the Caribbean.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:52 AM   #12673
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I also finished listening to The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith, which had been on my to read list for a while and I'd snagged for $4.95 in a sale on Audible. It was wonderful! Beautifully read by Lisette Lecat and I was transported to Botswana on my commute.
The rest of the books in the series are also excellent. Highly recommended. There's also a good TV adaption.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:17 AM   #12674
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I'm still reading Wonderful World, which contains the new Stephen King novel not written by Stephen King.

If you wonder what I'm saying, find my earlier post on Wonderful World, in this thread.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #12675
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Last week I finished Gallows View by Peter Robinson, the first Inspector Banks novel. I'd read many glowing recommendations for this author, so I had high hopes, but the book was just ok. All the loose ends were tied up too neatly for my taste and I wasn't attached to any of the characters. I think I've actually read one or two of his other books and not previously added him to my mental "must read" list. My library has a collection of short stories by him, which I added to my wish list, perhaps I'll give him one more try. At least I didn't hate it as much as I hate Ian Rankin's books. In this category, Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley books are favourites.
Interesting, I'm having the same response to Robinson, but my wife keeps assuring me to stick with him, so I'll give him another go. OTOH, I love Rankin's books. They're a bit dark, but I definitely look forward to new one's from him. (Though I often listen to them rather than read them.)

Elizabeth George's Lynley and Havers books were a favourite for quite a while, but I went off them finally. But if you like these, give Deborah Crombie a try. Her Duncan Kincaid / Gemma James books are excellent.
Quote:
I also finished listening to The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith, which had been on my to read list for a while and I'd snagged for $4.95 in a sale on Audible. It was wonderful! Beautifully read by Lisette Lecat and I was transported to Botswana on my commute. I've been to Kenya, but strangely it reminded me more of the pace of life I'd experienced visiting my mother-in-law who lived for years on a boat in the the Caribbean.
Had you read these first? Or was this your introduction to the series? I've read them all, and also watched the HBO series (which I thought quite well done, btw.) I haven't listened to the Audible versions, but might be tempted. Especially hearing that the reader is good.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote