Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-09-2008, 07:28 AM   #1
achickey
achickey began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505
PRS505 - 8gb Duo Memory Stick Problems

Hi,

Got my Reader about a month ago and have manged to figure out the file coversions to LRF through book designer etc, Also manged to convert a lot of my CBR Comics through Ratafaran and Primo PDf - all thanks to the tutorials here and dowloads available - No help from Sony.......

But i have a problem with my 8gb Sony Duo Memory stick.

When first installed, the reader read all the books on the stick just fine, then after importing a few more books to the memory stick, the reader would not show the books & the library software does not even recognise it as present - I also have a 2gb Sandisk card that reads just fine - always seems to be ok.

I have tried re-formatting the memory, and reloading the books, again this seems to work for a while but them the same happens???

Anybody got any ideas?
achickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #2
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
are you sure you got a genuine 8GB thing? there are a lot of fakes out there and if you go beyond the true size, it will crash.

Are you able to throw files in it and see it in your PC?

Oh, and format it to FAT. the PRS has some problems with FAT32 and it's really slow some times.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:49 AM   #3
Megatron-UK
Connoisseur
Megatron-UK began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
FAT doesn't support partitions greater than 2Gb. It will need to be FAT32.
Megatron-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
How many books do you have loaded on it? seems I've heard several complaints from people who have a LOT of books loaded onto their 505's causing issues such as yours
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 07:33 PM   #5
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
I have an 8GB SanDisk card that works fine. It's formatted FAT32 and it's full of mp3s. The only problem is the dismal wait for re-indexing when that is required.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:34 AM   #6
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megatron-UK View Post
FAT doesn't support partitions greater than 2Gb. It will need to be FAT32.
Mine 4GB mstick and 4GB SD-cards are formatted in FAT and they are working fine on PRS505 (and yes, they are fully loaded AND I can access the files)

According to wikipedia:
FAT: max size 2 GiB
4 GiB with 64k clusters (not widely supported)
Old 04-18-2008, 06:25 AM   #7
Megatron-UK
Connoisseur

I think you're pushing your luck to use it, TBH. 4GB filesystems have never been, to my knowledge, a supported option under FAT. It probably works because the underlying msdos filesystem support in linux is very flexible.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:21 AM   #8
achickey

The 8gb works fine whentransfering data betweeen pc's - Its a full 8gb (filled it to make sure) but for some reason PRS505 don't like it - I am thinking of using this elsewhere (psp) and gettting some more sandisk's - so 4gb ok to use on the reasder?
Old 04-18-2008, 10:10 AM   #9
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
I think you're pushing your luck to use it, TBH. 4GB filesystems have never been, to my knowledge, a supported option under FAT. It probably works because the underlying msdos filesystem support in linux is very flexible.
If it works, it works. And according to the almighty internet, as long as the 64k clustersize is supported, it'd work.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:12 AM   #10
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by achickey View Post
The 8gb works fine whentransfering data betweeen pc's - Its a full 8gb (filled it to make sure) but for some reason PRS505 don't like it - I am thinking of using this elsewhere (psp) and gettting some more sandisk's - so 4gb ok to use on the reasder?
It's the same problem as with the PSP (also from sony). If the card is formatted in FAT32, it's just really slow. If it's in FAT, it's smoother.

If you get a 4GB stick, you have to format it to FAT, otherwise it'd still be slow. (of just get a 4GB SD-card, somehow SD-cards are faster on the reader)
Old 04-18-2008, 10:31 AM   #11
Megatron-UK
Connoisseur

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/118335
Old 04-18-2008, 12:30 PM   #12
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
Well, aren't we lucky that Sony is not microsoft and that we're not accessing the card with Windows 95/98 or Windows NT
Old 04-21-2008, 07:39 AM   #13
achickey

Cheers Guys - I'll use FAT
Old 04-21-2008, 10:44 AM   #14
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by achickey View Post
Cheers Guys - I'll use FAT

Can you format your 8GB stick in fat?
Old 04-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #15
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
I too, am having this issue. I'm currently trying to format my card with the following options:

mkfs.msdos -F 32 -s 64 <device>

That "-s 64" will make 32k clusters.

There is no way to format an 8gig MS as FAT16. If anyone has a way, I would love to hear it.

I hope the forthcoming patch will fix this issue.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote