Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-05-2015, 12:57 AM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
@theducks -- you could've moved this thread into the other, I believe. Too late now...
He tried and apparently he couldn't - seems 'foreign' mods can move a thread to another forum but cant merge into existing thread. I've asked Jellby to take care of.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:31 AM   #17
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
People who code books and haven't commited to the calibre/Sigil hegemony.

The formats subforums deal with editor-agnostic discussions and are frequented by people whose primary interest is in focusing on the actual book they create.

Best place to ask about the advantages of different editors, IMHO.
I'd honestly have figured that most people in this forum are folks who care about the coding at a fine-grained level, and so are more likely to be creating books by hand. And I'd have said that the Workshop forum would be a better bet. But either way, this is a good enough spot to ask the question.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2015, 05:54 AM   #18
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
People use Calibre to format e-books for publication?

I thought the KDP didn't like Calibre....

(Certainly I don't. When I last used it -- a couple years ago, to be sure -- it went wild, creating styles with incomprehensible names. Sigil uses MY styles!)
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:03 AM   #19
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post

I thought the KDP didn't like Calibre....

(Certainly I don't. When I last used it -- a couple years ago, to be sure -- it went wild, creating styles with incomprehensible names. Sigil uses MY styles!)
The Calibre Editor isn't around for a couple of years... This is something else than the converter. The Calibre editor will also honor your styles.
Then again, you are know to use old, obsolete software.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:03 AM   #20
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
They don't use the conversion option from calibre. Calibre now has an editor built in. It is similar to sigil. No renaming of styles etc. It was added when it looked like sigil wouldn't be developed any more. You can even use the editor stand alone.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2015, 07:06 AM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Starting multiple threads on th same subject/question is considered a form of spam.

Please take the time now to read our Posting Guidelines, so that you can fully understand your responsibilities when posting to Mobileread.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-05-2015 at 07:19 AM.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:17 AM   #22
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Moderator Notice
The threads have been merged
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:54 PM   #23
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Quote:
Maybe this link could be useful:
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/edit.html

I open it directly:
"C:\Program Files\Calibre2\ebook-edit.exe"
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:30 PM   #24
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
... but I haven't gone to the dark side (Calibre) because I don't like their reliance on keyboard shortcuts. I like to point and click...
FWIW - the current version calibre-editor has configurable button bars - it's true that that wasn't there on day 1.

Select button bars you want in the View Menu, select the buttons for each button bar and put them in the order you want in Preferences. I think the button bars may come and go dependent on what file type has focus - eg if its an image you may not see a button for bold.

I can't think of any features that are only accessible via the keyboard.

I'm a keyboard shortcut freak - so I hide the button bars in both

@Jellby - we got there - but what a palaver

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-05-2015 at 05:33 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 10:18 PM   #25
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
What do you mean by calibre's regex functions relying on keyboard shortcuts? What am I missing?
Quote:
Snippets, which is calibre's alternative, to Sigil clips, relies on keyboard shortcuts. Perhaps that is it.
Yes, that is what I meant but I was also referring to Saved Searches. After BetterRed mentioned that there were some updates to button bars I checked it out again. The Saved Searches is now dockable...which helps a lot. I also found that I can add the "manage Snippets" command to the main toolbar, which makes it easier. If I could have a toolbar with my "top ten" or so snippets to just click on....that would be awesome!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:22 AM   #26
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
The Calibre Editor isn't around for a couple of years...
Ah!

And has the KDP changed its attitude toward Calibre-generated books?
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:16 AM   #27
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@Notjohn: I think you would find there is a GIGANTIC difference between a calibre editor created book and a calibre CONVERTED book.

In the editor created book YOU have full control of items such as CSS class names, CSS usage etc, as opposed to the converted book where the CSS classes are rearranged / rewritten by the conversion engine.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:56 AM   #28
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
If @Notjohn is fundamentaly determined to make FUD up and pretend old software is the only software and deliberately wants to conflate a text editor wrapper with a collection of automated conversion wrappers... go ahead, let him, and move on with life.

I get the strong impression that his end goal is to make wisecracks, as opposed to actually learning anything. You won't have any luck convincing him of reality.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:33 AM   #29
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
And has the KDP changed its attitude toward Calibre-generated books?
No, they haven't. It's just not relevant to this discussion.

The point you're missing is that for KDP purposes, one uses calibre's editor (or Sigil) to create an EPUB. You can then upload that EPUB to KDP or feed it to kindlegen. KDP has never sought to control what program one uses to make an EPUB.

You're talking about KDP's attitude toward calibre generated kindle books. Which has no bearing whatsoever in a discussion about which editor you choose to create/edit/tweak your EPUB with.

You CAN use calibre's editor to edit/tweak AZW3s, but since Amazon doesn't accept standalone AZW3s (KF8) as input, that's not relevant either.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 12:02 AM   #30
Riqiv23
Riqiv23 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 5c
Hello all,

I'm new here and apologize for awakening an old thread but it's on the correct subject. I've downloaded both Sigil and Caliber (which divided the lines in my sentences in half and the music staves show as garbled letters) and decided to see which was better for me.

I'm haven't found how to work the editor in Caliber yet, partially because the videos I've found online don't seem to show simple editing.

And yet in Reaper, Final Cut Pro or Finale, I simply type in, "How to nudge a clip to the right" or "Setting up Auxiliary and Sub-Mix buses" in YouTube and "Bam!", it's there, usually explained pretty clearly.

I've learned Photoshop, FCPX, Sibelius and Finale (music composition apps), Apple Motion and several other programs from books and/or videos.

The videos I see on Sigil look pretty good (8 part):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-FJBryOR18

The designer of Calibre discusses his editor but I fell asleep:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzAeFxwL8Zw

This looks pretty good re Calibre:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-G74n_wGI1Q

I'm not sure if I should attempt to learn how to convert my newest music book into an ebook myself as even downloading Sigil seems difficult:
https://sigil-ebook.com/get/

Someone did this last book for me in epub and mobi:
http://www.amazon.com/A-Lyrical-Appr.../dp/B008O09LLM

1) Are there any good vids for editing in Calibre on YouTube?
2) Any good books you would recommend on either program.

Even though I love working on computers, I'm thinking this may be out of my league, as I can't even download Sigil? (What am I missing there . . . I see no download link. It's a little late and maybe I'm missing the obvious (he says as he scratches his head.))

It's frustrating, 'cause if there was an affordable class in NYC on this, I'm sure I could learn it. But the info online is scattered and minimal.

Your thoughts?
=====
PS: it looks like the download is on a separate page at the bottom and called "Sigil-0.9.5-Mac-Package.dmg" at the bottom of page:
https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil/releases/tag/0.9.5

I'll wait for a reply before I open it, not sure if I have to use the terminal to verify anything and not quite sure what a CHECKSUM is yet :-)

Last edited by Riqiv23; 03-30-2016 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Add
Riqiv23 is offline   Reply With Quote