Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-09-2011, 02:09 AM   #31
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
Bingo.

True, but this is for the US only. I have always bought my phones contract free. And then the difference between iPhone and iTouch isn't that great.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:35 AM   #32
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
True, but this is for the US only. I have always bought my phones contract free. And then the difference between iPhone and iTouch isn't that great.
I paid $260 USD for a 32GB ipod touch 4. How much would you pay for an equivalent iPhone 4?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2011, 03:25 AM   #33
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I paid $260 USD for a 32GB ipod touch 4. How much would you pay for an equivalent iPhone 4?
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:35 AM   #34
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I guess it must be around 700. The difference is $440.-, which you would pay anyway for any halfway decent smartphone. And you only have to carry one piece.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:39 AM   #35
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
I guess it must be around 700. The difference is $440.-, which you would pay anyway for any halfway decent smartphone. And you only have to carry one piece.

For me the phone is a big money saver, I travel a lot and can always be reached via IM and/or e-mail. But I rarely go over the minimum data usage.

I haven't used a separate MP3 device since the old Palm Treo 270 in 2002 or so.
Advert
Old 06-09-2011, 04:55 AM   #36
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

For me the phone is a big money saver, I travel a lot and can always be reached via IM and/or e-mail. But I rarely go over the minimum data usage.

I haven't used a separate MP3 device since the old Palm Treo 270 in 2002 or so.
I don't need the phone part; especially since that part is so expensive compared to an iPod touch.

Everyone's different and my needs are met by carrying a small flip phone in the front pocket of my jeans. It does the two things I need most - phone calls and texting.

The only other gadget I carry is my Sansa Clip+ and that either clips to my shirt or gets stuffed inside the coin pocket of my jeans. It provides me with more than enough entertainment - music, audiobooks, podcasts, and FM radio. It's so small and lightweight, I don't even notice it unless I'm using it.

Short stays away from home will see me adding an iPod touch for net access and entertainment; and a camera. For longer trips, I might consider adding a tablet or a netbook; depending on the nature of the trip. My Kindle? Rarely will it leave home.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:46 PM   #37
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
I don't need the phone part; especially since that part is so expensive compared to an iPod touch.

Everyone's different and my needs are met by carrying a small flip phone in the front pocket of my jeans. It does the two things I need most - phone calls and texting.

The only other gadget I carry is my Sansa Clip+ and that either clips to my shirt or gets stuffed inside the coin pocket of my jeans. It provides me with more than enough entertainment - music, audiobooks, podcasts, and FM radio. It's so small and lightweight, I don't even notice it unless I'm using it.

Short stays away from home will see me adding an iPod touch for net access and entertainment; and a camera. For longer trips, I might consider adding a tablet or a netbook; depending on the nature of the trip. My Kindle? Rarely will it leave home.
Again, that is function of the US "unlimited texting" plans. Here IM is much more economical, even more so when sending messages to other countries. You pay less for basic phone service and limited data use than for texting.

And being able to read and respond to e-mails, to work while being out rather than having to face another few hours at the office when getting back makes all the difference. Having a smart phone means having the office in my pocket. With IM you can even send files, pictures, etc.

On short trips I don't take a laptop, I just take my 5" phone.

Besides, why squint at one of those tiny screens again?

Anyway, I am not trying to convince you. I am just pointing out that the economics are often different in other countries.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:18 PM   #38
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Anyway, I am not trying to convince you. I am just pointing out that the economics are often different in other countries.
I agree. Everyone has different circumstances and needs.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #39
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
Ye i was watching the "magical" IOS5 announcement and all I was thinking was "Hello flashback to android 1.5" since all those features were in android to begin with. I hate how I have to connect my ipad2 to my bloated itunes to sync it. Never connected my android phone except to root it. I was able to get Google music invite and it works great. I uploaded 1000 songs to it and it didn't take "weeks" like iSteve said.
Also if u actually look closely to icloud match thing it doesn't actually stream. It only allows u to download songs to different devices. With Google music and amazon cloud music you can actually stream your music so it doesn't' take up any space on your device.
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #40
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Again, that is function of the US "unlimited texting" plans. Here IM is much more economical, even more so when sending messages to other countries. You pay less for basic phone service and limited data use than for texting.

And being able to read and respond to e-mails, to work while being out rather than having to face another few hours at the office when getting back makes all the difference. Having a smart phone means having the office in my pocket. With IM you can even send files, pictures, etc.

On short trips I don't take a laptop, I just take my 5" phone.

Besides, why squint at one of those tiny screens again?

Oh yeah i agree, I don't have unlimited texting on my plan, so I use Google Talk's IM app at almost every chance I can get. It's just as fast and has basically the same functionality.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 08:10 PM   #41
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Well let me see I paid $45 for my Vibrant (Galaxy S) with a $20 a mo. contract. Since I was already paying for a 3G plan. I've had a plan for 5 yrs now so I don't factor it into the price of a phone. But for you I will it's $525.

My brother paid $.01 for his Captive (Galaxy S) and is paying $10 a month. So that's $240.

So for $19.99 less he's getting a GPS enabled phone, 3G plan, WIFI, a top of the line Android phone(at the time), and a better OS. And the convince of not having to tout around a two products.

BTW these Galaxy S phones are extremely light.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:55 AM   #42
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
I think ios 5 was definitely influenced by android, but I'm not sure why that is a bad thing. The best thing about competition is that it forces companies to evolve and try to one up or match each other. That's why an apple monopoly would make for stagnant development.

Three of the main criticisms of ios are 1) Poor notification system 2) Being tethered to a computer and itunes 3) limited multitasking

ios 5 addresses all three of these issues in a significant way. Even if you hate apple, you should give credit where credit is due.

Android still has its big four: Flash, Widgets, Folder System, and Removable Storage (on most devices, but not all). Even Netflix has a chance of making it to the android tablets without hacks. So, it's not like the battle is over yet...
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #43
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
Let them copy and steal all they want as long as they innovate and make customer experience better. Now its google's turn to answer and lets see what they come up with.
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 02:32 AM   #44
HansTWN
Wizard

To be fair, only WebOS has real background multi tasking rather than "save state". Those mobile OS all still have a long way to go.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #45
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
My brother paid $.01 for his Captive (Galaxy S) and is paying $10 a month. So that's $240.

So for $19.99 less he's getting a GPS enabled phone, 3G plan, WIFI, a top of the line Android phone(at the time), and a better OS. And the convince of not having to tout around a two products.
I'm on Verizon and I have only one choice for a data plan: $23.40 per month for an unlimited plan. So, $23.40 x 12 months = $281; which is enough money to buy the latest gen 32GB iPod touch every September.

Since I'd never carry a device that large on a daily basis, I'm not concerned that I have both a phone and a pocket computer.

BTW, who's his provider and how much data does he get for $10?