Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 10:38 AM   #31
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
Pretty much everything (about Charis I don't like). It's the least "readable" font I tried (very thing, choppy rendering), and I tried alot of them.

It just doesn't compare to Lexia or to the font created above in this thread.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #32
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You make it sound like Charis is used in all Overdrive eBooks. Not so. It's done by the publisher and Overdrive has nothing to do with font embedding. Charis is the most common font family used for embedding fonts.
No book I have ever purchased (from the Sony store, Kobo, B&N, or Amazon) had an embedded font. But when I download library books, about 90% of them use Charis. This is from a variety of publishers. I would never buy a book that I can download from the library, so I can't compare apples-to-apples, but that's been my experience.

And I find the Charis font to be the opposite of "choppy and unreadable" (and that's exactly how I would describe Sony's default font). I wish I could do a screenshot of my own screen (how do you guys do that? It's part of PRS+?) so we would see if it looks the same, because my experience/perception/aesthetic is so very different.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #33
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I don't understand the rant against Charis, either, I really like it - screencap (via PRS+) attached.

I don't have any special line-height set.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CharisSIL.jpg
Views:	698
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	73083  
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:21 PM   #34
amujee
Connoisseur
amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Voyage (soon, I hope)
Can someone post a screenshot comparing Lexia Dama vs Default, preferably without any justification? Thank you.
amujee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:45 PM   #35
Soul_Est
Gadgetic Young Man
Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Soul_Est has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: BlackBerry Z30, Sony PRS-650, Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Take a look at the screenshots Ripplinger posted here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...59&postcount=4
Soul_Est is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 01:03 AM   #36
amujee
Connoisseur
amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.amujee has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Voyage (soon, I hope)
Thanks for the link!
amujee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 02:43 PM   #37
Leyor
Ninja Librarian
Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leyor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, Cybook 3. gen, Sony T1, Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for all the font suggestions, going to put them together in one easily downloadable pack once I feel the suggestions have dried out.
Leyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:48 PM   #38
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
The more of them I test, the more I keep coming back to:

LexiaDaMa
and
NimbusMod

At least on my Sony, they are the two best I've tested so far.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #39
Gronk
Zealot
Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, PW2, Sony PRS 950, 350
I'm new at this ereader stuff. My 950 is only a couple months old. I don't suppose I can change from the default font on it without voiding my warranty and since I'm not a programmer quite probably bricking it.
Gronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:09 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Est View Post
Take a look at the screenshots Ripplinger posted here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...59&postcount=4
Why is it that those screen caps look awful? It's very hard to get a sense of how the font looks when it bleeds all over the place. And I know this is not how they'd look on the actual screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I don't understand the rant against Charis, either, I really like it - screencap (via PRS+) attached.

I don't have any special line-height set.
I also find Charis SIL a very easily readable font. It's definitely better then the default ADE font. It's dark enough and the italics are good.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:53 PM   #42
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is it that those screen caps look awful? It's very hard to get a sense of how the font looks when it bleeds all over the place. And I know this is not how they'd look on the actual screen.
I think most of the bleeding on Ripplinger's screencaps is because Options - Adjust View is set to Custom (Contrast/Bright 127/-125).

Personally, I only use the Adjust View option for PDFs which are a bit wishy-washy. Epubs look better as-is IMHO.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:00 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I think most of the bleeding on Ripplinger's screencaps is because Options - Adjust View is set to Custom (Contrast/Bright 127/-125).
In that case, can we please have new screen shots with the screen set to default please? The way those screen shots look, I cannot tell how the fonts really look. They kind of look the same or too similar.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:54 AM   #44
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leyor View Post
I'm thinking about putting together a Sony font package for new users, so it's a bit more easily accessable.
That's a great idea, Leyor. I wish you luck with it.

I had an itch for experimentation again and decided to try out two new fonts. Of the three presented here, I'm going with Vollkorn for now with some extra line-height via CSS---I like the font very much but feels a bit cramped vertically.

Georgia (these two come with standard Windows installations)
Palatino Linotype
Vollkorn

My preference is for serif fonts with darker strokes than the default, yet I didn't like LexiaDaMa when I tried it. I don't like the Kindle's Caecilia either, so not a surprise.

EDIT: Made a mistake. Uploaded a corrected image for the Vollkorn example.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	georgia.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	73209   Click image for larger version

Name:	palatinol.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	73210   Click image for larger version

Name:	vollkorn03.jpg
Views:	941
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	73218  

Last edited by viviena; 06-23-2011 at 09:45 AM.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:56 AM   #45
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Viviena, your screens look great. I am curious if you have tried Charis and what is your opinion on it?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote