Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-29-2017, 07:57 AM   #46
stanlefor
Connoisseur
stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.stanlefor can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I'm not at all sure how the night mode can corrupt the database. I expect it's more likely that fmon is responsible.

Can you detail how you installed things?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I think you're right, as when I install normal nightmode, it works (but I can only toggle it through .ini, which is a pain) and database stays ok

It's the mode from this thread :
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...00#post3063800

Last edited by stanlefor; 11-29-2017 at 08:00 AM.
stanlefor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 03:42 AM   #47
Strrav
Enthusiast
Strrav began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O edition 2
it works on a Kobo H2O 2nd edition .
but it stay on night mode.You can not toggle
Why kobo conceptors and inginieers did nt implement this basic function ?

en français: ça marche sans problème avec la Kobo H2O 2, mais elle reste définitivement en night mode tout le temps (à moins de revenir sur la manip)
On ne comprend pas pourquoi ça n est pas une option implantée d'office dans toutes les liseuses kobo !! ce ne doit pas être bien dur d avoir l option et de facilement passer du mode jour au mode nuit !

Last edited by Strrav; 03-10-2018 at 02:06 PM.
Strrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2018, 09:54 AM   #48
omaley30
omaley30 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura H2O V2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strrav View Post
it works on a Kobo H2O 2nd edition .
but it stay on night mode.You can not toggle
Why kobo conceptors and inginieers did nt implement this basic function ?

en français: ça marche sans problème avec la Kobo H2O 2, mais elle reste définitivement en night mode tout le temps (à moins de revenir sur la manip)
On ne comprend pas pourquoi ça n est pas une option implantée d'office dans toutes les liseuses kobo !! ce ne doit pas être bien dur d avoir l option et de facilement passer du mode jour au mode nuit !
Bonjour,
Désolé, je ne parle pas anglais donc je passe par un traducteur.

Sur la nouvelle version du logiciel la 4.6.10197 qui est fournie avec la kobo aura V2, impossibilité de mettre le mode nuit

j'ai fait de multi essais avec différentes idées donné sur le site mais cette version du logiciel le bascule de suite en mode normal. le mode nuit ne se met pas .

si quelqu'un a une idée , je suis preneur

merci
omaley30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:09 AM   #49
Strrav
Enthusiast

Bonjour
Suivre la manip que j ai expliquée en français juste au dessus et ça marche
Mais la liseuse restera en night mode tout le temps , ce qui ne me gêne pas personnellement
Old 03-31-2018, 11:43 AM   #50
omaley30

Bonjour

Et bien non, avec le logiciel 4.6.10197, il empêche le mode nuit de ce mettre.
j'ai fait 6 essais en redémarrant plusieurs fois et rien ne se passe.
j'ai fait également ça, en mettant [FeatureSettings]
InvertScreen = true

la moitié de l'écran est blanc, l'autre en noir et la lecture du livre est en jour.

Même si la kobo reste en mode nuit tout le temps, c'est ce que je cherche.
Pour l'instant, le nouveau logiciel 4.6.10197, me met en échec pour le mode nuit
Advert
Old 04-01-2018, 04:28 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
English please.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 11:46 AM   #52
omaley30

Désolé je ne parle pas du tout anglais, donc c'est le traducteur google qui me traduit.

Hello

Well no, with the 4.6.10197 software, it prevents the night mode of this setting.
I made 6 tries by restarting several times and nothing happens.
I did that too, putting [FeatureSettings]
InvertScreen = true

half of the screen is white, the other half is black and the reading of the book is in the day.

Even if the kobo stays in night mode all the time, that's what I'm looking for.
For now, the new software 4.6.10197, puts me in check for the night mode
Old 04-06-2018, 01:39 AM   #53
Strrav
Enthusiast

Hello
Sorry that it does not work with your version!
it is quite outrageous that Kobo does not install such a basic feature (and probably very easy to install)
Old 04-06-2018, 02:53 AM   #54
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Hello
Sorry that it does not work with your version!
Adding the "InvertScreen" option to the config file should work. This was added in firmware 4.3.8842 and is still there since.

The hack to do invert mode that this thread started with might not. I'm not sure I would be willing to risk it on an Aura H2OE2V2.
Quote:
it is quite outrageous that Kobo does not install such a basic feature (and probably very easy to install)
Kobo haven't done it because either there is not enough demand to justify the cost, or there are problems doing it. And most likely it is a bit of both.

For demand issue, please don't point to the discussion here. The denizens of MR are not Kobo real market. There are just not enough people here to justify anything and our desires are unlikely to be typical.

For the problems doing it, consider:
  • Is it on all the time? Or just for reading?
  • How do you handle images?
  • Do you have it selectable by book type? ePub yes, comics no. Or selectable for each book?
  • What about the screen refresh?
  • What about other effects used in books? Such as bold, different colours or shades.
  • How does it interact with the light levels?

Those are the things I have thought of when I have played with the night mode. Just blindly turning inverting the video as the above option and the hack do is not enough for it to be done properly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:29 PM   #55
Strrav
Enthusiast

This is probably not so complicated since it is so easy with a very simple hack, on the other hand it happens that the reader goes into reverse mode for 1 second when we turn the page.
So I still don t understand why it is not a basic option
Old 04-08-2018, 08:01 PM   #56
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
This is probably not so complicated since it is so easy with a very simple hack,
Yes, a "simple" hack. That pays no real attention to the crappy way it is done.
Quote:
on the other hand it happens that the reader goes into reverse mode for 1 second when we turn the page.
No, that is the e-ink screen doing a full screen refresh. And there is a lot of code around reducing the need for a refresh as most people don't like the refresh.
Quote:
So I still don t understand why it is not a basic option
Please, read my post and actually think about it.

But, if you want to boil it down to a simple statement:

It costs money to add any feature. So far, Kobo doesn't think that investment in this feature is worth it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 07:01 AM   #57
Biloute75
Biloute75 began at the beginning.

Location: Copenhagen, Denmark, Europe, European Union, the Northern Hemisphere, Earth ...
Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post

It costs money to add any feature. So far, Kobo doesn't think that investment in this feature is worth it.
How much cost 3 code lines compares to the customer satisfaction (less pain to read, less energy spends etc...)?

I don't like to hack any devices for 2 reasons:
-You have to repeat the process every time you have an update.
-You have the risk to fuck up and to damage your device.
Biloute75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:50 AM   #58
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Biloute75: -_-".
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 06:17 PM   #59
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biloute75 View Post
How much cost 3 code lines compares to the customer satisfaction (less pain to read, less energy spends etc...)?

I don't like to hack any devices for 2 reasons:
-You have to repeat the process every time you have an update.
-You have the risk to fuck up and to damage your device.
Hmmm... even with the .conf file or the patch hack, I've heard multiple complaints that while text is inverted, so are images -- the cover image is a negative, the images of chessboards have the white and black pieces swapped, ghosting is much more noticeable, etc. As for it taking 3 lines of code? Unless you have implemented night mode on a device, I suspect any opinion you may have of the code complexity has an unreal relationship to the real world.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:47 PM   #60
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The easiest way to handle images in nightmode is unfortunately on the renderer's side: by rendering images inverted, so that the nightmode's invert will then "fix" them.

Doing it otherwise is highly impractical, since update regions can only be rectangles, so splitting a screen region in as many rectangles as necessary to "excise" a single image rectangle in the middle of the screen sounds like a terrible idea, and that already implies being able to exactly tell where the image even *is* on screen... (And if you want to go the extra mile and do the processing yourself so that you only end up with a single eInk update and not one per split rectangle, that's even more fun for you).

(And, no, before anyone asks, we don't do it "right" in KOReader either. I hate nightmode with a fiery passion, which probably doesn't help [My rationale being it only makes sense on OLED screens]. But it's technically doable in KOReader: make the nightmode status accessible where relevant, so that image rendering can invert stuff, either at rendering time, or at blit time if the rendering backend doesn't support that (mupdf might, I haven't checked), and enforce a slightly less terrible waveform update mode when in nightmode, because anything else than GC16 will probably look god-damn awful. If latency is favorable, I'd even go so far as dimming the front-light during flashing updates so as not to burn retinas off. I think the Oasis 2 does something of the sort, besides having a proper invert-optimized waveform mode).

TL;DR: No, definitely not trivial to do right. But not exceedingly hard, either, unless you want a shiny waveform mode like lab126 .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-12-2018 at 08:58 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote