Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #1
mikeana
mikeana began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Bad Screen Saver picture.

Hi,
For no apparent reason, my K3 froze while reading.
I tried rebooting by holding the switch 30 secs etc, but with no avail. I connected to my pc, but did not show up. I charged it for about three hours (although the battery was more than 50%, and when I returned it had unfrozen. The problem now is that the screen saver picture is not complete, and looks like the picture attached.
When swithing back to the screen saver, the picture looks good for a fraction of a seccond, but quickly goes back to the picture as shown.
While reading the print also seems broken. (like missing pixels)
I opened up my kinde and found that a small screw had come loose and was roling around inside.
I love my keyboard. I tried the paperwhite II, but found the built in light very tiring at night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user184984_pic6241_1375593212.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	120630  

Last edited by mikeana; 03-21-2014 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Forgot attacment
mikeana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 06:11 AM   #2
stysis
stysis juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisestysis juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisestysis juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisestysis juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisestysis juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisestysis juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisestysis juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisestysis juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisestysis juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisestysis juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisestysis juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Hi mikeana

I've got a similar problem to yours which appeared after I replaced a broken screen on my Kindle 3 Keyboard.
I'm thinking I must have done something when I opened the Kindle that was similar to what your loose screw did to yours.
Anyway, I only had a few books which were affected by what you have nicely described as the "broken print" and I've managed to find a way around it.
This won't help with the screen savers or images within books that don't work properly, but it can make the print better in books.

If the books you want to fix are DRMed you will need to get rid of this first. I went here. http://www.howtogeek.com/162994/how-...and-archiving/

In Calibre, select the book you want to fix from the library.
Click Convert Books.
Set the Output format to the same as the Input format.
Under Look & Feel, click Choose Font Family and select a font you like.
The tick Embed Referenced Fonts.
The go to Page Setup.
Under The Output profile list choose Mobipocket books (I chose this because it has the same screen size as a Keyboard).
Click OK.

The Calibre library will now show an extra format for the book called, for example, ORIGINAL_AZW3 or ORIGINAL_MOBI.
Transfer the non-original version to your Kindle and it should have a good font.

Hope this helps.
stysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2014, 06:42 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You've managed to corrupt the screen waveform data. Sounds as if the loose screw has shorted something out. Not fixable, I'm afraid, other than by replacing the screen, and for information about that, see this thread.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote