Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #16
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_D View Post
Icallaci,
Sorry, I asked you a question but I did so before I read the entire thread...Thanks,
No problemo.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 01:12 PM   #17
GibbinR
Connoisseur
GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad mini 5, Kindle Oasis 3
I have an Aura HD with firmware 2.8.1 and with the Metazoa patcher applied.
When I first got the HD (with firmware 2.5.x - I think) I was pretty disgusted with its unreliability/functional glitches, but since I upgraded the firmware to 2.8.1 and applied the Metazoa patcher, the clarity and quality of the 1400 x 1080 screen have made it my e-reader of choice. (Despite the cranky/non-functional annotation system, and the flattening of the table of contents hierarchy, etc.)
Now I see that I could upgrade to firmware 3.1.1 and still apply the Metazoa patcher, but the question is whether there is anything on 3.1.1 compared to 2.8.1 which make it worth the upgrade.
Sorry if this append is slightly off-topic on this forum, but if anyone who has successfully upgraded to 3.1.1 and applied the patcher has any views on the value of the upgrade, I'd be interested to hear them.
GibbinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2014, 02:41 PM   #18
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
One patcher related improvement going from 2.8.1 to 3.1.1 is that the linespacing patch works better with kepubs. In 2.8.1 setting the spacing closer than 1.225 caused problems in kepubs, but with 3.1.1 kepubs work as well as epubs with any spacing.

3.1.1 has new features like Pocket, dictionary cross-referencing and google/wikipedia lookup, library filter by unread/reading/finished, double-tap to zoom images in kepubs, a back button to return to the place you opened the book from, option to mark books as unread, a second dyslexic font, and probably more I can't think of.

The only potential issues I can think of with 3.1.1 is that some kepub features such as chapter progress charts no longer work with sideloaded kepubs, and the Kobo Nickel font has super wide line spacing (but this can be mitigated by the linespacing patch). Also some reports of wifi issues with certain networking setups (fritzbox routers?).

I have a Glo not an Aura HD, but I think 3.1.1 is a very good improvement over 2.8.1, lots of nice new features and I've had no problems at all. The best firmware so far for me.

Last edited by GeoffR; 01-23-2014 at 02:45 PM. Reason: thought of a few more new features
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #19
GibbinR
Connoisseur
GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GibbinR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad mini 5, Kindle Oasis 3
Double-tap to zoom images

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
One patcher related improvement going from 2.8.1 to 3.1.1 is that the linespacing patch works better with kepubs. In 2.8.1 setting the spacing closer than 1.225 caused problems in kepubs, but with 3.1.1 kepubs work as well as epubs with any spacing.

3.1.1 has new features like Pocket, dictionary cross-referencing and google/wikipedia lookup, library filter by unread/reading/finished, double-tap to zoom images in kepubs, a back button to return to the place you opened the book from, option to mark books as unread, a second dyslexic font, and probably more I can't think of.

The only potential issues I can think of with 3.1.1 is that some kepub features such as chapter progress charts no longer work with sideloaded kepubs, and the Kobo Nickel font has super wide line spacing (but this can be mitigated by the linespacing patch). Also some reports of wifi issues with certain networking setups (fritzbox routers?).

I have a Glo not an Aura HD, but I think 3.1.1 is a very good improvement over 2.8.1, lots of nice new features and I've had no problems at all. The best firmware so far for me.
Thanks very much for this information. You mentioned the double-tap to zoom images working on kepubs.
That would be a great feature that would push me into upgrading, but most of my books are epubs (which started life on my PRS-650). I am not quite clear whether you are saying that double-tap to zoom images doesn't work on epubs, or that you have only tried it on kepubs.

Thanks again
GibbinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:20 AM   #20
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibbinR View Post
Thanks very much for this information. You mentioned the double-tap to zoom images working on kepubs.
That would be a great feature that would push me into upgrading, but most of my books are epubs (which started life on my PRS-650). I am not quite clear whether you are saying that double-tap to zoom images doesn't work on epubs, or that you have only tried it on kepubs
Image zoom only works for kepubs. The other features I listed work for both epubs and kepubs.
Advert
Old 01-24-2014, 03:14 AM   #21
boysingh
Connoisseur
boysingh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Something risky but I think I need this, Got to study this and learn more. Thank you so much!
boysingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:00 AM   #22
zal1
zal1 doesn't litterzal1 doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura
GeoffR, thanks a lot for this thread!
The patcher is making a big difference to my Kobo experience.

Keep up the good work, it is appreciated.
zal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 03:31 AM   #23
GeoffR
Wizard

New 15 value line spacing patch

I've updated post #2 with an improved line spacing patch. This one lets you change all 15 line spacing values, and there is no need to choose some values from a fixed table, any values can be used.

Edit If you add this patch to your kpf.conf remember to set patch_enable=`no` on the other line spacing patch.

Last edited by GeoffR; 01-25-2014 at 03:33 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:40 AM   #24
marlowe310
marlowe310 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I'm having an odd bug -- at least I think it's a bug -- basically the size difference between the VERY smallest font size and the next step up (the second smallest) seems huge. Any idea what might be going on?

One thought I had was that somehow or another the patch got corrupted, and so now the extra font steps aren't there, but missing somehow. Could that be the case?

And if so, would just reapplying the patch as normal work?

Kobo Aura HD, 3.1.1 w/ KoReader + Coolreader both installed.
marlowe310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 05:03 AM   #25
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlowe310 View Post
I'm having an odd bug -- at least I think it's a bug -- basically the size difference between the VERY smallest font size and the next step up (the second smallest) seems huge. Any idea what might be going on?
Did you choose your own font sizes in kpg.conf or did you use the ones that were already set in the patch? If your own, what sizes did you use?

The sizes in the kpg.conf in this thread are just examples, they suit me on my Glo but you will probably want to change them to suit you and your device.

One way to check whether the patch is working is to select the smallest font size in a book, then plug your device in to a computer and look in the file .kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf, there should be line readingFontSize= set to whatever font size you have chosen in the book. Check that it matches what you have set for the smallest font in your kpg.conf. Repeat for the second smallest font, etc.

Edit: I don't know anything about KoReader or Coolreader, I think this patch just affects the built-in Kobo readers, but perhaps someone else can confirm this.

Last edited by GeoffR; 01-25-2014 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Don't know about KoReader or Coolreader
Old 01-25-2014, 08:14 PM   #26
marlowe310
marlowe310 began at the beginning.

That explains it utterly, thanks a ton!
marlowe310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:39 PM   #27
oitaven
oitaven began at the beginning.

Decrease the title space?

Hello everyone.

First of all thanks to GeoffR for this thread.

I got to do a patch for mi Aura HD with FW 3.1.1 but I'm not happy at all.

I read at this post and I thought:

Maybe the first step to make a patch to decrease the title space is doing something like:

xorsearch.exe libnickel.so.1.0.0 ReadingFooter

Changing ReadingFooter for another word like "Header" or "Title" or something similar to find the address. But I don't know exactly the word I'm looking for.
oitaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #28
giododa
Connoisseur
giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Thank you again for your effort.
I installed the patch following your instructions and everything went fine.
Just a little question: in the kpg.conf for previous firmware 3.0.0 I found two patches named `Ignore book internal CSS stylesheet` and `Ignore book TOC navpoints`

Spoiler:
Code:
<Patch>
patch_name = `Ignore book internal CSS stylesheet`
patch_enable = `no`
replace_string = 1438104, `s`, `_`
replace_string = 143811C, `s`, `_`
</Patch>

<Patch>
patch_name = `Ignore book TOC navpoints`
patch_enable = `yes`
replace_string = 143A5C4, `n`, `_`
</Patch>

It is possible to have these also for firmware 3.1.1?
giododa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #29
GeoffR
Wizard

I've added versions of these for fw 3.1.1 to post #2
Old 01-30-2014, 12:32 PM   #30
giododa
Connoisseur
giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.giododa can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O
Thank you, I didn't saw them.
giododa is offline   Reply With Quote