Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-15-2013, 08:50 AM   #1
ploum
Zealot
ploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueploum can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3 + koreader
Angry Rant about the sleep screen

Hello,

I'm using a Kobo Glo bought at Fnac and I'm quite happy with it except for one thing :*the sleep screen.

1) By default, the sleep screen displays a FNAC logo instead of the cover of the book. To disable that, one had to dig into the files of the kobo itself by messing with the affiliates.conf file. But with each firmware update, each reset and, sometimes randomly, the FNAC logo reappears.

This is a perfect example of anti-feature and I've decided to not buy anything at the FNAC anymore just because it gets on my nerve. Seriously KOBO, don't allow that.

2) Now that the FNAC logo is gone, I can display the cover of my current book fullscreen. Nice. I*love it. Except that you add a huge white rectangle that hide nearly 15% of the cover for… wait… no reason at all. It just says "Sleeping" and, in small, "30% reading".

Seriously? This could be very elegantly put above or beneath the cover, very subtly, in small. Here, most of the rectangle is completely empty. On some covers, it just hides completely the title or some very important part of the picture.

Ok, that a rant, that's clearly something I*would like to improve but…

3) On Kobo website, every single picture of a Kobo reader shows the Kobo displaying a full screen book cover. That's clearly a lie because it is something impossible to get with a Kobo (at least not with the Glo).

Being an engineer, I know that engineering is hard. I accept a lot of bugs or problems from today's technology because I understand the difficulty. But, as silly as it may sounds, this particular problem gets on my nerve because it was specifically designed to annoy the customers.

And when a company start to annoy its customers, it raises a lot of questions…
ploum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #2
Kaitou Ace
Zealot
Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaitou Ace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It actually used to display the cover of the book in full screen, the more recent firmware changed that, so I'd guess the photos on the site are from before this update.

I also much preferred having the cover taking up the entire screen while the device is sleeping. The extra information isn't needed.
Kaitou Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploum View Post
And several tons of questions have been raised about Kobo and its eReaders...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I dislike the way that white block of information is displayed so much that I won't upgrade to the firmware that has it. IF that was the only issue I had with the newer firmware, I might suffer with, but it would annoy me every time I had to see it. I don't read to be annoyed. It's just one of those really ugly things they did that could be so nice looking if only they put a little thought into the design of the firmware.

Older firmware (2.5.1 and lower) has a thin band across the top which I don't really like either. Never did I imagine that they could come up with something much worse than that though with the large oddly positioned block over the cover.

They should let you display the full cover of the book when in sleep mode without anything else pasted over the cover. KISS is always the best policy.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #5
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I liked the thin band across the top with percent read. It would be nice if they gave you the choice whether to display it or not. The white square is just ugly.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #6
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
What I hear is people simply asking for choices here... Is that such a bad idea Kobo?

Matter of fact 99% of what people ask for in this forum simply comes down to asking for choices. That's telling and it ought to be getting through to Kobo. It's not a lot to ask for on what is to most a very personal device. The simple ability to personalize it and use it "our" way.

Wake up and smell the beans, Juan Valdez, I mean Kobo.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:00 AM   #7
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
I agree wholeheartedly with all the comments so far.

As an aside, what and where is FNAC?
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemack View Post
I agree wholeheartedly with all the comments so far.

As an aside, what and where is FNAC?
http://www.fnac.com

http://futurebook.net/content/kobo-p...-retailer-fnac
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
snowstone
Connoisseur
snowstone doesn't littersnowstone doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura edition 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploum View Post
Hello,

I'm using a Kobo Glo bought at Fnac and I'm quite happy with it except for one thing :*the sleep screen.

1) By default, the sleep screen displays a FNAC logo instead of the cover of the book. To disable that, one had to dig into the files of the kobo itself by messing with the affiliates.conf file. But with each firmware update, each reset and, sometimes randomly, the FNAC logo reappears.

This is a perfect example of anti-feature and I've decided to not buy anything at the FNAC anymore just because it gets on my nerve. Seriously KOBO, don't allow that.

2) Now that the FNAC logo is gone, I can display the cover of my current book fullscreen. Nice. I*love it. Except that you add a huge white rectangle that hide nearly 15% of the cover for… wait… no reason at all. It just says "Sleeping" and, in small, "30% reading".

Seriously? This could be very elegantly put above or beneath the cover, very subtly, in small. Here, most of the rectangle is completely empty. On some covers, it just hides completely the title or some very important part of the picture.

Ok, that a rant, that's clearly something I*would like to improve but…

3) On Kobo website, every single picture of a Kobo reader shows the Kobo displaying a full screen book cover. That's clearly a lie because it is something impossible to get with a Kobo (at least not with the Glo).

Being an engineer, I know that engineering is hard. I accept a lot of bugs or problems from today's technology because I understand the difficulty. But, as silly as it may sounds, this particular problem gets on my nerve because it was specifically designed to annoy the customers.

You didn't have to change the files, in the options of the kobo you can choose to display the book cover and whether it occupies the middle of the screen or all of the screen.
snowstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:32 PM   #10
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowstone View Post
You didn't have to change the files, in the options of the kobo you can choose to display the book cover and whether it occupies the middle of the screen or all of the screen.
While that is true for most Kobo's, a Kobo bought from certain of retail partners (FNAC being an example) are slightly different and display their logo on sleep and power off (I think it's on both) rather than the book cover. The option to change this is not configurable in the Kobo user interface settings. Hence, ploum had to change the config file to get the book cover to display rather than the logo.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:59 AM   #11
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
While that is true for most Kobo's, a Kobo bought from certain of retail partners (FNAC being an example) are slightly different and display their logo on sleep and power off (I think it's on both) rather than the book cover. The option to change this is not configurable in the Kobo user interface settings. Hence, ploum had to change the config file to get the book cover to display rather than the logo.
For me too as I bought mine from FNAC that is, as far as I know, the sole retailer for Kobo in France. I changed the affiliate file too. I don't know why I should have to see that logo on my reader, as I paid full price for it ! I can't choose the size of the cover, but at least, I can seen it small and centered, but still better than the FNAC logo
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vice-versa View Post
I can't choose the size of the cover, but at least, I can seen it small and centered, but still better than the FNAC logo
If you'd really like a full-screen cover screensaver (despite the unsightly white box), in the .kobo\Kobo\Kobo eReader.conf file, in the [PowerOptions] section, there is a line
Code:
FullscreenCoverStretch=true
So even if you don't have the GUI checkbox option on your FNAC Kobo, it's possible setting it manually might work. But I'm in the UK and don't have a FNAC device, so I can't test the theory I'm afraid.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #13
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
Thank you for the tip I don't know if it would work, but I can at least give it a try : save a copy of this file before anything else and then try and modify it in he way you suggested it. If it's rotten, I would replace it by the saved file.

I think I should give an attentive eye to the content of this particular file as I may learn a lot about my Glo behaviour
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, sleep mode