Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-05-2010, 11:02 AM   #1
MadChatter
MadChatter began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Question Exchange PRS-600 for PRS-300?

Last weekend my husband bought me a Sony PRS-600. I was pretty thrilled, as I've been eyeing eReaders for awhile now and wanted to get one for my birthday.

While I like the PRS-600, I'm not totally sold on it. I find the glare (while not as bad as my iPod Touch) a bit annoying. And I just don't know if I'll end up using many of it's big selling features (MP3 capability, ability to annotate, dictionary, expandable memory). Basically, all I want to do with it is read with it.

I do, however, have a number of PDF's on the PRS-600 (primarily text). Does the PRS-300 display PDF's well? Is there any other advantages to the PRS-600 over the PRS-300 that I haven't listed that may be compelling?

Another reader isn't an option (at this time). I can exchange the 600 for the 300 (and get the price difference back). I'm really leaning towards doing so, but thought I'd ask all you knowledgable people here for some input.

Angela
MadChatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #2
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadChatter View Post
Last weekend my husband bought me a Sony PRS-600. I was pretty thrilled, as I've been eyeing eReaders for awhile now and wanted to get one for my birthday.

While I like the PRS-600, I'm not totally sold on it. I find the glare (while not as bad as my iPod Touch) a bit annoying. And I just don't know if I'll end up using many of it's big selling features (MP3 capability, ability to annotate, dictionary, expandable memory). Basically, all I want to do with it is read with it.

I do, however, have a number of PDF's on the PRS-600 (primarily text). Does the PRS-300 display PDF's well? Is there any other advantages to the PRS-600 over the PRS-300 that I haven't listed that may be compelling?

Another reader isn't an option (at this time). I can exchange the 600 for the 300 (and get the price difference back). I'm really leaning towards doing so, but thought I'd ask all you knowledgable people here for some input.

Angela
Where was the 600 purchased? Do they not carry other readers?

I honestly think that the current generation of Sony ereaders are really poor and overpriced. However, the Sony Prs-505 was an excellent device, yet they canceled it. The 300 is a nice device, but really doesn't offer much for the price. The lack of expansion memory, and limited internal memory is a big turnoff. Also, I personally don't like reading on a 5" screen (although some have no problem with it).

The nook and the Kindle 3 are the best readers on the market now based on price, build quality, and features. If you can't somehow trade up to one of those, then it all comes down to how much the glare and poor screen contrast on the 600 bothers you. Compare that to the lack of features and 5" reading experience of the 300.

I would probably go with the 300.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2010, 03:24 AM   #3
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
The 300 does lack all of the whistles and bells of the 600 but the screen is much better. It has a much better contrast and does not suffer from glare in sunny conditions. It's fine for reading txt PDFs, the formatting is pretty good and txt sizes are also good.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
I've had the PRS-600 for some time and wishing for more contrast is an issue. However the other night I did a refresher on my Jython skills using a tutorial from IBM Developer Works, and I did a lot of scribling on the text, taking notes and highlighting related to my project ... it dawned on my that the Kindle Wi-Fi which I pre-ordered won't be able to do this. In addition the touch is really convenient when looking up dictionary words or highlighting passages and when zooming, moving around and searching. In the normal position the keyboard is good for one-figer or stylus input, changing the orientation it's pretty fast as a two-finger keyboard.

In other words, even when my new reader arrives I'll still use the Sony as the primary device for many reading activities. I do have a cover with light ... which is necessary more often than I would have liked.

The PRS-300 has the same resolution as the PRS-600 so you have more points per inch of screen. I've never tried it, but for those who read mostly regular books it's probably a better choice than the PRS-600.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote