Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-17-2010, 01:33 AM   #1
mistermouse
mistermouse began at the beginning.

Device: none - YET
On-Device library management (Hanlin V3+)

Hi,

I'm new to calibre, forgive me for being daft. I have found the directory within Preferences->Add/Save->Sending to Device for controlling how books are sorted on the Bebook One 2010/Hanlin V3+.

I altered the string to "{tags}/{author_sort}/{title} - {authors}" but found that this creates separate sub-folders for each string of tags, eg Crime, Short Story is separate to Crime, Short Story, Classic and so on.

It mentions the device interface plugins as a way to alter how Calibre does this. This gave me hope that someone else has developed a management system that would work for me. Is there a way to manage this other than reducing my library to a few single, fairly indiscriminate tags?

Obviously, it needs to work on a Hanlin V3+

mistermouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:40 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Do you have any idea on how you think it should work if you are using the tags field as part of the filename? If you can express that clearly then it is more likely that something might get implemented that meets your needs? Assuming you do not want the book stored multiple times what should it be stored under in such a case?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2010, 02:56 AM   #3
mistermouse
mistermouse began at the beginning.

Device: none - YET
Ideally, I would see it working something like an initial tag (eg Genre such as Crime) then secondary tags (Short Stories, True Crime, New Author, Favourite).
The resulting folder structure would look something like:

Crime/Short Stories, Favourite/{Author}/{title}
Fantasy/Anthologies/{Author}/{title}

Essentially, multi-layer tag-based folders.

Any suggestions? If there is a function where you can label the "Genre" of books separate to tags that would seem perfect...
mistermouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:45 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermouse View Post
Ideally, I would see it working something like an initial tag (eg Genre such as Crime) then secondary tags (Short Stories, True Crime, New Author, Favourite).

Any suggestions? If there is a function where you can label the "Genre" of books separate to tags that would seem perfect...
My suggestion is to use the save to disk feature with your original string in the first post, then create by hand your master level genre folders and drag and drop the others where you want them to be.

When you have them the way you like, drag them to your device via the file manager.

You could create a enhancement ticket and request a way to designate parent tags and child tags. If you can describe it well enough maybe it can be implemented.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 05:27 AM   #5
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermouse View Post

There isn't a way to do it now, but at some point in the not far distant future you will be able to use custom fields in the templates. You would create a column named 'genre' (or whatever), populate it accordingly, and then use it to create the folder structure you want.

Using this scheme (and remember that this doesn't work yet), you could use a template
{#genre}/{tags}/{author}/{title}
I am assuming that the genre would no longer be in the tags. I am also assuming that a book does not have more than one genre, or that it would be OK if the folder name contained all of them.

Out of curiosity, when using this scheme, how would you ever find a book? Each differing combination of tags for a genre would create a different folder, which could result in a *lot* of folders, and also very long names. You will need to either remember the tags for a particular book, or navigate up and down the folder hierarchy looking for it.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert